EVT and Fermats to prove f'(c)=0

• Thread starter NWeid1
  • Start date
So you can't say anything about a or b being larger or smaller than, or equal to 0.In summary, if f is differentiable on the interval [a,b] and f'(a)<0<f'(b), then by the Extreme Value Theorem and Fermat's Theorem, there exists a c on the interval [a,b] such that f'(c)=0. This is because by the Extreme Value Theorem, f will have an absolute maximum and absolute minimum on [a,b], and by Fermat's Theorem, if f(c) is a local extremum, then c must be a critical number of f. Since f'(a)<0<f'(b), f will be decreasing and increasing on the
NWeid1

Homework Statement

If f is differentiable on the interval [a,b] and f'(a)<0<f'(b), prove that there is a c with a<c<b for which f'(c)=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I first tried to use IVT but I was having a hard time to I talked to my prof. and he said to use extreme value theorem and fermats theorem. So, by EVT, I know there will be an aboslute maximum and absolute minimum on [a,b]. By f'(a)<0<f'(b) I know that it will be decreasing and increasing and therefore will have a local miniimum on (a,b). Fermats theorem then says that if f(c) is a local extremum, then c must be a critical number of f. Which means the function WILL have a c to make f'(c)=0. I know this intuitively but I'm having a hard time rigorously proving it.

Attachments

• Whelk-Graph1OverX.jpg
    Whelk-Graph1OverX.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
no one?

NWeid1 said:

Homework Statement

If f is differentiable on the interval [a,b] and f'(a)<0<f'(b), prove that there is a c with a<c<b for which f'(c)=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I first tried to use IVT but I was having a hard time to I talked to my prof. and he said to use extreme value theorem and fermats theorem. So, by EVT, I know there will be an aboslute maximum and absolute minimum on [a,b]. By f'(a)<0<f'(b) I know that it will be decreasing and increasing and therefore will have a local miniimum on (a,b).
Please state the foregoing without "it". What you have written is very unclear. "It" could refer to f'(a), 0, or f'(b). I suspect that none of these is the antecedent.
NWeid1 said:
Fermats theorem then says that if f(c) is a local extremum, then c must be a critical number of f. Which means the function WILL have a c to make f'(c)=0. I know this intuitively but I'm having a hard time rigorously proving it.

Well, I first tried to use IVT but I was having a hard time to I talked to my prof. and he said to use extreme value theorem and fermats theorem. So, by EVT, I know that f will have an aboslute maximum and absolute minimum on [a,b]. By f'(a)<0<f'(b) I know that f will be decreasing and increasing and therefore will have a local miniimum on (a,b). Fermats theorem then says that if f(c) is a local extremum, then c must be a critical number of f. Which means the function WILL have a c to make f'(c)=0. I know this intuitively but I'm having a hard time rigorously proving it.

Can you say this more precisely?
NWeid1 said:
By f'(a)<0<f'(b) I know that f will be decreasing and increasing

Where will f be decreasing?
Where will f be increasing?

If you haven't guessed, I'm trying to get you to make clear, unambiguous statements.

f will be decreasing on (a,o) and increasing on (0,b)

NWeid1 said:

Not necessarily. We only know that the slope of f(x) at a is negative, and the slope of f(x) at b is positive. We don't know the exact intervals f is increasing or decreasing.

NWeid1 said:
f'(a)<0<f'(b)

NWeid1 said:
In addition to what gb7nash said, you are assuming here that a < 0 and b > 0. All you have is the interval [a, b]. There is no indication of whether 0 is in the interval, to the left of it, or to the right of it. It's just some arbitrary interval.

1. What is EVT and how is it used to prove f'(c)=0?

EVT stands for the Extreme Value Theorem, which states that a continuous function on a closed interval will have a maximum and minimum value. This theorem is used in calculus to prove that the derivative of a function, f'(c), will equal 0 at some point c within the interval.

2. How is Fermat's Theorem related to proving f'(c)=0?

Fermat's Theorem, also known as the Mean Value Theorem, states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists a point c within the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints. This theorem is used in conjunction with EVT to prove that f'(c) equals 0 at some point c within the interval.

3. What is the significance of proving f'(c)=0 using EVT and Fermat's Theorem?

Proving that f'(c) equals 0 at some point c within the interval is significant because it tells us that the function has a horizontal tangent line at that point. This means that the function is either at a local maximum or minimum, or has a point of inflection at that point.

4. Can EVT and Fermat's Theorem be used to prove the derivative of any function equals 0?

No, these theorems can only be used to prove that the derivative of a function equals 0 at some point c within a closed interval. They cannot be used to prove that the derivative is equal to 0 for all values of x.

5. Are there any other theorems or methods that can be used to prove f'(c)=0?

Yes, there are other theorems and methods that can be used to prove that f'(c) equals 0 at some point c within an interval. These include Rolle's Theorem, the Second Derivative Test, and the First Derivative Test. Each of these theorems has its own specific conditions and applications, but they all ultimately help prove that the derivative of a function is equal to 0 at a particular point.