1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EVT and Fermats to prove f'(c)=0

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f is differentiable on the interval [a,b] and f'(a)<0<f'(b), prove that there is a c with a<c<b for which f'(c)=0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I first tried to use IVT but I was having a hard time to I talked to my prof. and he said to use extreme value theorem and fermats theorem. So, by EVT, I know there will be an aboslute maximum and absolute minimum on [a,b]. By f'(a)<0<f'(b) I know that it will be decreasing and increasing and therefore will have a local miniimum on (a,b). Fermats theorem then says that if f(c) is a local extremum, then c must be a critical number of f. Which means the function WILL have a c to make f'(c)=0. I know this intuitively but I'm having a hard time rigorously proving it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2
    no one?

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please state the foregoing without "it". What you have written is very unclear. "It" could refer to f'(a), 0, or f'(b). I suspect that none of these is the antecedent.

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4
    Well, I first tried to use IVT but I was having a hard time to I talked to my prof. and he said to use extreme value theorem and fermats theorem. So, by EVT, I know that f will have an aboslute maximum and absolute minimum on [a,b]. By f'(a)<0<f'(b) I know that f will be decreasing and increasing and therefore will have a local miniimum on (a,b). Fermats theorem then says that if f(c) is a local extremum, then c must be a critical number of f. Which means the function WILL have a c to make f'(c)=0. I know this intuitively but I'm having a hard time rigorously proving it.

6. Dec 8, 2011 #5

Mark44

Can you say this more precisely?
    Where will f be decreasing?
    Where will f be increasing?

If you haven't guessed, I'm trying to get you to make clear, unambiguous statements.

7. Dec 8, 2011 #6
    f will be decreasing on (a,o) and increasing on (0,b)

8. Dec 8, 2011 #7

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Not necessarily. We only know that the slope of f(x) at a is negative, and the slope of f(x) at b is positive. We don't know the exact intervals f is increasing or decreasing.

9. Dec 8, 2011 #8

Mark44

In addition to what gb7nash said, you are assuming here that a < 0 and b > 0. All you have is the interval [a, b]. There is no indication of whether 0 is in the interval, to the left of it, or to the right of it. It's just some arbitrary interval.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook