Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ew quark/anti quark pops into existence

1. Jan 7, 2005 #1

Gold Member

According to this page in wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark
    when quarks are pulled from one another at some point a new
    quark/anti quark pops into existence.
    What would happen if a lump of quark matter was captured by a black hole,
    Could it produce an endless stream of new quarks as it was torn apart by
    the black hole?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #2
    In a black hole enormous energies are available due to the small distance scale you are working with (Via Heisenberg-uncertainty : small distance means great energies because the product of the two is constant). this means that quarks will be less tightely bound due to asymptotic freedom. The strong forces gets stronger at lower energies and therefore at greater distances. So there won't be much energy necessary to torn the quarks apart and therefore no new quarkpairs shall be born. This state is the quark-gluon-plasma...

4. Jan 7, 2005 #3
    As an addendum. Don't take my previous post too literally. What you need to remeber is that the strong force gets weaker as the energylevel rises. So for example high-speed quarks are less tightly bound to each other then low-speed quarks. Check out my journal if you wanna know more. I wrote some texts on this. I suggest the "on confined species"entry on page 2 or 3

5. Jan 7, 2005 #4
  6. Jan 7, 2005 #5

Gold Member

Thanks MARLON i will look at your journal in the morning.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?