Closed and Exact Forms on 2-Torus: Solving for Global Definitions and Exactness

In summary, the possible values of the function \phi(\alpha_1, \alpha_2) for the 1-form \omega to be closed are when \phi(\alpha_1, \alpha_2) = -2\pi B. For the values of A, B, C, and D that make the closed form globally defined, the function \phi(\alpha_1, \alpha_2) must be periodic in \alpha_1 and \alpha_2. For the form to be exact, the function \phi(\alpha_1, \alpha_2) must have a corresponding function f(\alpha_1, \alpha_2) such that \omega = df.
Breo

Homework Statement

Now consider a 2-torus ## S_1 × S_1## and a coordinate patch with coordinates ## (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)## such that ## 0 < \alpha_i < 2 \pi##. Let us introduce in this patch a 1-form of the type:
$$\omega = (A + B\alpha_2 + C sin(\alpha_2 ) + D cos(2\alpha_1 + \alpha_2 ))d\alpha_1 + \phi(\alpha_1 , \alpha_2 )d\alpha_2$$

a) Try to determine the possible values of the function ##\phi(\alpha_1 , \alpha_2 )## so
that the form ##\omega## is closed.

b) For what values of A, B, C and D is the closed form globally
defined?

c) For what values of A, B, C, D and ##\phi## is the form exact?

Homework Equations

A form is closed when satisfies: ##d\omega=0##

The necessary and sufficient condition for a closed r-form ##\omega## to be exact is that for ##b_r## independent cycles in ##C_a \in H_r## the periods vanish: $$ \int_{C_a} \omega = 0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a) Using the equation of the exterior derivative and knowing that ##d\omega = 0## I wrote:

$$ 0 + (\frac{\partial B\alpha_2}{\partial \alpha_1}d\alpha_1 + \frac{\partial B\alpha_2}{\partial \alpha_2}d\alpha_2)\wedge \alpha_1 + ... = \Bigg( \frac{\partial \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)}{\partial \alpha_1}d\alpha_1 + \frac{\partial \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)}{\partial \alpha_2}d\alpha_2 \Bigg) \wedge d\alpha_2$$

Using the Poincarè lemma ##d^2=0## and the relation ## dx^i \wedge dx^j = -dx^j \wedge dx^i ## I finally obtained:
$$
-B d\alpha_1 \wedge \alpha_2 = \frac{\partial \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)}{\partial \alpha_1}d\alpha_1 \wedge \alpha_2 $$

Not sure how to resolve this, maybe: ## \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2) = -2\pi B ## ?

b) Do not know... it is when the coord charts are defined for all values of a parameter? Sorry I do not know.

c) No idea. I get lost when read the de Rham cohomology theory, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Breo said:
a) Using the equation of the exterior derivative and knowing that ##d\omega = 0## I wrote:

$$ 0 + (\frac{\partial B\alpha_2}{\partial \alpha_1}d\alpha_1 + \frac{\partial B\alpha_2}{\partial \alpha_2}d\alpha_2)\wedge \alpha_1 + ... = \Bigg( \frac{\partial \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)}{\partial \alpha_1}d\alpha_1 + \frac{\partial \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)}{\partial \alpha_2}d\alpha_2 \Bigg) \wedge d\alpha_2$$

Using the Poincarè lemma ##d^2=0## and the relation ## dx^i \wedge dx^j = -dx^j \wedge dx^i ## I finally obtained:
$$
-B d\alpha_1 \wedge \alpha_2 = \frac{\partial \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)}{\partial \alpha_1}d\alpha_1 \wedge \alpha_2 $$

What happened to the terms involving [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex]?

b) Do not know... it is when the coord charts are defined for all values of a parameter? Sorry I do not know.

I'm not 100% positive what the question is asking for, but if [itex]\alpha_1[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_2[/itex] are angles, then that means that [itex]\alpha_1 = 0[/itex] is the same angle as [itex]\alpha_1 = 2 \pi[/itex], and similarly for [itex]\alpha_2[/itex]. That means that a globally defined function should be periodic in [itex]\alpha_1[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_2[/itex].

c) No idea. I get lost when read the de Rham cohomology theory, etc.
A 1-form [itex]\omega[/itex] is exact if there is a function [itex]f(\alpha_1, \alpha_2)[/itex] such that [itex]\omega = d f[/itex]. So you're just being asked when it is possible to find such an [itex]f[/itex].

1. What is the difference between an exact form and a closed form?

An exact form is a mathematical expression that can be solved exactly, giving a precise numerical value. A closed form, on the other hand, is an expression that can be written using a finite number of standard mathematical operations and functions. While an exact form gives an exact solution, a closed form may only provide an approximate solution.

2. How do you determine if a mathematical expression is an exact form?

To determine if a mathematical expression is an exact form, you must check if it can be solved using a finite number of steps and operations. This means that the expression must not contain any infinite series, integrals, or other operations that cannot be completed in a finite amount of time.

3. Can all mathematical expressions be written in closed form?

No, not all mathematical expressions can be written in closed form. Some expressions may require an infinite number of terms or operations to be written exactly. Additionally, some expressions may not have a closed form solution at all.

4. What is the advantage of using a closed form over an exact form?

The advantage of using a closed form is that it is often simpler and more efficient to use in calculations. It can also provide a good approximation of the exact solution, which may be sufficient for many practical applications.

5. Are there any real-world applications of exact and closed forms?

Yes, exact and closed forms are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems. For example, in physics, closed form solutions are used to describe the motion of particles, while exact forms are used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels of atoms.