1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact and closed forms

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Now consider a 2-torus ## S_1 × S_1## and a coordinate patch with coordinates ## (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)## such that ## 0 < \alpha_i < 2 \pi##. Let us introduce in this patch a 1-form of the type:
    $$\omega = (A + B\alpha_2 + C sin(\alpha_2 ) + D cos(2\alpha_1 + \alpha_2 ))d\alpha_1 + \phi(\alpha_1 , \alpha_2 )d\alpha_2$$

a) Try to determine the possible values of the function ##\phi(\alpha_1 , \alpha_2 )## so
    that the form ##\omega## is closed.

b) For what values of A, B, C and D is the closed form globally
    defined?

c) For what values of A, B, C, D and ##\phi## is the form exact?

2. Relevant equations

A form is closed when satisfies: ##d\omega=0##

The necessary and sufficient condition for a closed r-form ##\omega## to be exact is that for ##b_r## independent cycles in ##C_a \in H_r## the periods vanish: $$ \int_{C_a} \omega = 0$$

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Using the equation of the exterior derivative and knowing that ##d\omega = 0## I wrote:

$$ 0 + (\frac{\partial B\alpha_2}{\partial \alpha_1}d\alpha_1 + \frac{\partial B\alpha_2}{\partial \alpha_2}d\alpha_2)\wedge \alpha_1 + .... = \Bigg( \frac{\partial \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)}{\partial \alpha_1}d\alpha_1 + \frac{\partial \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)}{\partial \alpha_2}d\alpha_2 \Bigg) \wedge d\alpha_2$$

Using the Poincarè lemma ##d^2=0## and the relation ## dx^i \wedge dx^j = -dx^j \wedge dx^i ## I finally obtained:
    $$
    -B d\alpha_1 \wedge \alpha_2 = \frac{\partial \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2)}{\partial \alpha_1}d\alpha_1 \wedge \alpha_2 $$

Not sure how to resolve this, maybe: ## \phi (\alpha_1, \alpha_2) = -2\pi B ## ?

b) Do not know... it is when the coord charts are defined for all values of a parameter? Sorry I do not know.

c) No idea. I get lost when read the de Rham cohomology theory, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What happened to the terms involving [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex]?

I'm not 100% positive what the question is asking for, but if [itex]\alpha_1[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_2[/itex] are angles, then that means that [itex]\alpha_1 = 0[/itex] is the same angle as [itex]\alpha_1 = 2 \pi[/itex], and similarly for [itex]\alpha_2[/itex]. That means that a globally defined function should be periodic in [itex]\alpha_1[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_2[/itex].

A 1-form [itex]\omega[/itex] is exact if there is a function [itex]f(\alpha_1, \alpha_2)[/itex] such that [itex]\omega = d f[/itex]. So you're just being asked when it is possible to find such an [itex]f[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted