Exact Value of Inverse Trig Function

In summary, to solve for x in the equation above, you would use the Pythagorean trigonometric identity and replace sine with cosine.
communitycoll

Homework Statement

How do I find out the exact value of tan^-1 (1 / sqrt(3))?

Homework Equations

nada

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
communitycoll said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

nada

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start.

Consider the right triangle with a hypotenuse of 2 and one side equal to √3. What are the angles in this triangle?

If you can't see it immediately, reflect the triangle about the side of length √3 and see what sort of triangle you get when the mirror images are placed next to each other.

How do I find the angles in the triangle?

communitycoll said:
How do I find the angles in the triangle?

What's the third side in the right triangle?

What happens when you reflect it as I suggested? What sort of triangle do you get? What are the angles in that sort of triangle?

(see diagram attached. Figure out the sides marked by the question marks and everything should become clear).

Attachments

• triangle.JPG
    triangle.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 556
communitycoll said:

Homework Statement

This is one of the 'special' triangles, for which we know exact trigonometric ratios. Look at the 60°-30°-90° triangle for the answer. The point of the problem is to solve the question without using a calculator, only the special triangle.

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}=\tan(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}[/itex], so it follows from here that [itex]\cos(x)=\sin(x)\sqrt{3}[/itex], and squaring both sides yields [itex]\cos^2(x)=3\sin^2(x)[/itex]. We want to make use of the Pythagorean trigonometric identity, so we replace sine by cosine to get [itex]\cos^2(x)=3-3\cos^2(x)[/itex] which gives [itex]\cos(x)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex].

Your equation is essentially equivalent to this equation. Can you solve this one for x?

Millennial said:
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}=\tan(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}[/itex], so it follows from here that [itex]\cos(x)=\sin(x)\sqrt{3}[/itex], and squaring both sides yields [itex]\cos^2(x)=3\sin^2(x)[/itex]. We want to make use of the Pythagorean trigonometric identity, so we replace sine by cosine to get [itex]\cos^2(x)=3-3\cos^2(x)[/itex] which gives [itex]\cos(x)=[/itex].

Your equation is essentially equivalent to this equation. Can you solve this one for x?

Wow, that's the very long way around :) Though elegant, you can avoid all of this by simply looking at a 30-60-90 triangle and choosing the angle whose [itex] \tan^{-1} = \frac{1}{sqrt(3)} [/itex]
Find the angle where [itex]\frac{opposite}{adjacent} =\frac{1}{sqrt(3)} [/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Exact Value of Inverse Trig Function

1. What is an inverse trig function?

An inverse trig function is a mathematical function that undoes a trigonometric function. It takes the output of a trigonometric function and returns the original input value.

2. How is the exact value of an inverse trig function determined?

The exact value of an inverse trig function is determined by using a calculator or by using a trigonometric table. It is also possible to derive the exact value using mathematical equations and identities.

3. What is the difference between an inverse trig function and a regular trig function?

The main difference between an inverse trig function and a regular trig function is that an inverse trig function takes the output of a trigonometric function as its input and returns the original input value. A regular trig function takes an angle as its input and returns a ratio or value.

4. Can the exact value of an inverse trig function be irrational?

Yes, the exact value of an inverse trig function can be irrational, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. For example, the exact value of the inverse sine of 0.5 is π/6, which is an irrational number.

5. How are inverse trig functions used in real-world applications?

Inverse trig functions are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation to solve problems involving angles and distances. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic movements and rotations.