1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Exam in 1 week and I know ziltch please help.

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    exam in 1 week and I know ziltch!! please help.

I need some really good guidance here Guys, I have an exam in 1 week and I am really bad at physics. My lecturer told the class to focus on:

Forces and vectors
    moments
    friction
    inclined plains
    pin jointed frames.

I know nothing about these and if I fail I gotta repeat a whole year. I need serious help in learning these, thanks so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2
    Re: exam in 1 week and I know ziltch!! please help.

i hope you have better luck next year!

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3

I hope you're joking...

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4

nope no joke, well I know every formula I just dont know how to implement them

6. Dec 21, 2011 #5

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

An entire week to devote to it? Ages!

Go over the notes, summarize what you need to know. Make a plan. Write down what you're going to study when, stick to the plan. Do the practice problems. Go ask someone in your class/a tutor/your lecturer for help when you get stuck.

That's the only way, we aren't going to be able to beam the knowledge into your mind.

7. Dec 21, 2011 #6

can you recommend any good books or websites where I can learn some of this.

8. Dec 21, 2011 #7

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Surely you have class notes and a textbook, no?

Other than that, Hyperphysics is my go-to resource, and people here seem to say good things about the khan academy.

9. Dec 21, 2011 #8

yes I've an incredible amount of notes, but my lecturer didn't explain them greatly, but thanks Im going to try out those websites

10. Dec 21, 2011 #9

Is this one of those 'I've done nothing all semester, now I need to learn everything before the final and I can't fail omgomgomg." threads? Seems like it. If you're in university, then shame on you. You shouldn't be procrastinating so much. Go to Khan Academy, watch some videos, and work your butt off. You can pack at least 8 hours a day.

11. Dec 21, 2011 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Let this be a lesson for you: work during the year.

12. Dec 21, 2011 #11

How in zombie jesus's name can anyone attend a class for an entire semester and literally know nothing about these things? Sounds like you're in statics, which tells me you should already know these items from introductory physics - except frames, whose sole tricks include the mind-numbingly simple instances of identifying two-force members and drawing free body diagrams of everything else (including the entire structure if supports exist), then writing out your moment and force equations.

The best advice I can offer is this: purposefully fail the exam, or drop the class if you can. Repeat a year. Grow up and frickin' mature enough to take responsibility for your own education. Even if we could beam knowledge directly into your head like another poster mentioned, you would still be this much of a screw-up, and you would fail even harder at whatever really hard class you had to take next semester or next year.

13. Dec 21, 2011 #12

Damn. Haha, and I thought I was being harsh. :)

14. Dec 21, 2011 #13

The only advice I have is to remember to draw a free body diagram and if you don't know what that is then you're in rough shape.

15. Dec 22, 2011 #14

Read the chapters and then do the problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook