Exam P Question for my Probability Homework

In summary, the machine has an expected operational time of 1 hour and the variance of the operational time is 2 hours.
pinky14
A machine consists of two components whose lifetimes have a joint density function:

$f(x,y) = \left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
\frac{1}{50} & \quad x \geq 0, y \geq 0, x+y \leq 10 \\
0 & \quad Otherwise
\end{array}
\right.$

The machine operates until both components fail.

(a) Calculate the expected operational time of the machine. Hint: This is E(X + Y).

(b) Calculate the variance of the operational time of the machine.$$$$

Physics news on Phys.org
This will require your best multi-variable calculus.

Can you state the definition of "Expected Value" in this context?

Personally, I would do three (3) integrals to complete this assignment:

With appropriate limits...
1) [tex]\int\int f(x,y)\;dy\;dx[/tex] Just to show that we do have a proper probability distribution.
2) [tex]\int\int (x+y)\cdot f(x,y)\;dy\;dx[/tex] To find the Expected Value
3) [tex]\int\int (x+y)^{2}\cdot f(x,y)\;dy\;dx[/tex] To get us on our way to the Variance.

Let's see where that takes you. :-)

Last edited:
tkhunny said:
This will require your best multi-variable calculus.

Can you state the definition of "Expected Value" in this context?

Personally, I would do three (3) integrals to complete this assignment:

With appropriate limits...
1) [tex]\int\int f(x,y)\;dy\;dx[/tex] Just to show that we do have a proper probability distribution.
2) [tex]\int\int (x+y)\cdot f(x,y)\;dy\;dx[/tex] To find the Expected Value
3) [tex]\int\int (x+y)^{2}\cdot f(x,y)\;dy\;dx[/tex] To get us on our way to the Variance.

Let's see where that takes you. :-)

Why are we doing 3 integrals? I thought that when we calculate expected value, it is just E(X) or in this case E(X+Y) and that when we calculate variance, we are just doing $E(X^2)-[E(X)]^2$ or in this case Var(X+Y) = Var(X) + 2Cov(X,Y) + Var(Y)? I am honestly not understanding a lot of concepts in my class but I am trying to.

Yes, that was what tkhunny said! He suggested you do the first integral just to determine if this is a valid joint probability distribution:
[tex]\int_0^{10}\int_0^{10- x} \frac{1}{50} dydx= \frac{1}{50}\int_0^{10} 10- x dx= \frac{1}{50}\left[10x- \frac{1}{2}x^2\right]_0^10= \frac{1}{50}(100- 50)= \frac{50}{50}= 1[/tex].

Or, more simply, with [tex]0\le x\le 10[/tex] and [tex]0\le y \le 10[/tex] we have a 10 by 10 square with area 100. But the probability is non-zero only for [tex]x+ y\le 10[/tex], the lower triangular half of the square which has area 50. The probability distribution there is the constant 1/50. 50(1/50)= 1. Since the "total probability" is 1 this is a valid joint probability distribution.

The second integral, [tex]\int\int (x+ y)f(x, y)dy dx[/tex] is the expected value of x+ y. That is [tex]\frac{1}{50}\int_0^{10}\int_0^{10- x} x+ y dy dx= \frac{1}{50}\int_0^{10}\left[10y- \frac{1}{2}y^2\right]_0^{10- x}dx[/tex]. Complete that calculation.

The third integral, [tex]\frac{1}{50}\int_0^{10}\int_0^{10- x}(x+ y)^2 dy dx[/tex], is the "variance".

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that was what tkhunny said! He suggested you do the first integral just to determine if this is a valid joint probability distribution:
[tex]\int_0^{10}\int_0^{10- x} \frac{1}{50} dydx= \frac{1}{50}\int_0^{10} 10- x dx= \frac{1}{50}\left[10x- \frac{1}{2}x^2\right]_0^10= \frac{1}{50}(100- 50)= \frac{50}{50}= 1[/tex].

Or, more simply, with [tex]0\le x\le 10[/tex] and [tex]0\le y \le 10[/tex] we have a 10 by 10 square with area 100. But the probability is non-zero only for [tex]x+ y\le 10[/tex], the lower triangular half of the square which has area 50. The probability distribution there is the constant 1/50. 50(1/50)= 1. Since the "total probability" is 1 this is a valid joint probability distribution.

The second integral, [tex]\int\int (x+ y)f(x, y)dy dx[/tex] is the expected value of x+ y. That is [tex]\frac{1}{50}\int_0^{10}\int_0^{10- x} x+ y dy dx= \frac{1}{50}\int_0^{10}\left[10y- \frac{1}{2}y^2\right]_0^{10- x}dx[/tex]. Complete that calculation.

The third integral, [tex]\frac{1}{50}\int_0^{10}\int_0^{10- x}(x+ y)^2 dy dx[/tex], is the "variance".

How did you get the limits? I have trouble tying to draw it and know how to see which way of integration would be easier, my calculus is a bit rusty.

It's just a triangle. Have you already had multivariable calculus in your studies? You will need it. If you have not studied it, you will have a very difficult time getting through this course.

Integral #1 s/b 1 <== Yea! A valid probability distribution.

Integral #2 s/b Mean, or First Moment

Integral #3 s/b Second Moment. Variance = (Second Moment) - (First Moment)^2

Time to get up to speed!

Related to Exam P Question for my Probability Homework

1. What is Exam P and why is it important?

Exam P is a professional exam administered by the Society of Actuaries that tests a candidate's knowledge of probability concepts. It is important for actuaries and other professionals in the fields of finance and insurance because it is a prerequisite for many advanced actuarial and risk management certifications.

2. What topics are covered in Exam P?

Exam P covers a range of probability concepts, including basic probability, random variables, probability distributions, multivariate distributions, and stochastic processes. It also includes topics such as mathematical statistics, risk models, and survival models.

3. How should I prepare for Exam P?

To prepare for Exam P, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and formulas. Practice problems and past exam questions can also be helpful in preparing for the exam. It is also recommended to take a review course or study with a group to ensure a thorough understanding of the material.

4. How long is the Exam P and how is it administered?

The Exam P is a three-hour exam consisting of 30 multiple-choice questions. It is administered through computer-based testing at designated testing centers. Candidates must register for the exam and receive an authorization to test (ATT) before they can schedule their exam appointment.

5. What is a passing score for Exam P?

The passing score for Exam P is determined by the Society of Actuaries and can vary from one exam sitting to another. Typically, the passing score is around 70% of the total points available. Candidates will receive their results immediately after completing the exam.