Exam Revision: Stuck on RMS derivation from voltage waveform diagram

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving a waveform and is struggling. He may be studying for an electrical engineering course.
jars121

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot_2012_06_16_at_10_59_37_AM.png

I've spent the last hour trying to get this, and it's starting to drive me crazy! I'm not sure how to approach the waveform, as there are two forms? I'm guessing that the period in this case is 4 seconds, and they've included a second wave to reiterate that?

Homework Equations

I started out using the general RMS equation:

V2RMS = √((1/T)*∫V2dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the voltage into the 3 components ie. 0<t<1, 1<t<3 and 3<t<4.
I integrated each of these sections, and then calculated the RMS by adding each component, squared, within a square root.

ie. VRMS, total = √(VRMS, A)2 + VRMS, B)2 +VRMS, C)2)

I ended up getting ~12, and I know that the answer is 3.3325V.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, as well as give some general advice on approaching these type questions?

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! I can't see the image in your post, but if I right click it and select "Open in new window," then it works.

jars121 said:

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot_2012_06_16_at_10_59_37_AM.png

I've spent the last hour trying to get this, and it's starting to drive me crazy! I'm not sure how to approach the waveform, as there are two forms? I'm guessing that the period in this case is 4 seconds, and they've included a second wave to reiterate that?

By definition, a waveform is a periodically repeating signal. If you just include one of those bumps, you don't have a wave, you just have a pulse! In a wave, those pulses repeat at regular intervals...forever. That's what periodic means.

No, the period is not 4 seconds. The period is the time required for one full cycle of the oscillation. In other words, it's the time required for you to get back to the exact same feature on the waveform that you started with.

For example: At t = 0, the voltage is 0, and is just beginning to rise up to its maximum value. At what time, t, does this exact same situation occur again?

Alternatively, at t = 2, the voltage is halfway through its plateau of +5 V.How many seconds later does this exact situation occur again?

At t = 4, the voltage is +5 V and is just beginning to fall back down to its minimum value. How many seconds later does this exact same thing occur again?

The answer to these three questions is exactly the same, because in all three cases, I'm asking you to tell me the time interval between two repeated features of the signal, which by definition is the period.

Once you know the period, you can integrate the waveform over this period. You're right that you'll have to do it piecewise and break up the integration interval into smaller sub-intervals. The reason is that the functional form of v(t) changes with time. Sometimes it's constant and high, other times it's constant and low. Still at other times, it's a linear function with a positive slope, and at other times it's a linear function with a negative slope.

Last edited:
Thanks for that mate! I've done a couple of other similar problems, and realized my mistake. The period is obviously 6, and I was doing something strange with the integration additions as well. Cheers!

I guess you're studying for ELEC2134 then, haha. Join the UNSW electrical group, this problem was posted yesterday.

I may be :wink:

I'll head on over there now (if I can find it) and see what's going on. Cheers!

Ok, I'm struggling. Can you post a link to the group? Cheers

Check your PM

1. What is RMS and why is it important in circuit analysis?

RMS stands for "root mean square" and it is a mathematical concept used to determine the average value of a varying signal. In circuit analysis, RMS is important because it helps us calculate the effective value of an AC signal, which is necessary for determining power and energy consumption in a circuit.

2. How do I derive RMS from a voltage waveform diagram?

To derive RMS from a voltage waveform diagram, you first need to square the values of the voltage at each point on the waveform. Then, find the average of these squared values by adding them all together and dividing by the total number of points. Finally, take the square root of this average to find the RMS value.

3. What are the benefits of using RMS over other methods of calculating AC voltage?

RMS takes into account the amplitude and frequency of an AC signal, making it a more accurate representation of the actual voltage. It is also a simpler and more efficient method compared to other methods such as peak voltage calculation.

4. Can I use the same method to derive RMS for current waveforms?

Yes, the same method can be used to derive RMS for current waveforms. However, it is important to note that the values will differ since current and voltage have different units of measurement.

5. How can I use RMS in practical applications?

RMS is commonly used in circuit analysis and design, as well as in power calculations for electrical devices. It is also used in the measurement of AC signals in various electronic devices. In addition, RMS can be used to compare the efficiency of different waveforms and to determine the power consumption of a circuit.