Example of a linear subset of Hilbert space that is not closed

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that for a linear set M in a Hilbert space, the set perpendicular to the set perpendicular to M is equal to M if and only if M is closed. The conversation also mentions finding an example of a linear subset of H that is not closed. The attempt at a solution involves using an orthonormal basis and setting up a sequence within S to show that it would converge to a point within S, indicating that it is closed. However, the questioner still has some confusion and asks for clarification.
margaret37

Homework Statement

Prove that for a linear set M a subset of Hilbert space, that the set perpendicular to the set perpendicular to M is equal to M iff M is closed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already have my proof -- but what is an example of a linear subset of H that is not closed?

I think I understand that we need an infinite dimensional Hilbert space -- that in a finite space M would have to be closed.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If H is a Hilbert space, and {e1,e2,...} is an orthonormal basis, then if you define S={a1*e1+a2*e2+...} where a finite number of the ai are nonzero, then S would be a subspace of H, right? But it wouldn't be closed.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering, unfortunately I'm still confused.

Why wouldn't it be closed? If I set up a sequence within S, wouldn't it necessarily converge to something also inside S.

margaret37 said:
Thank you for answering, unfortunately I'm still confused.

Why wouldn't it be closed? If I set up a sequence within S, wouldn't it necessarily converge to something also inside S.

p1=e1, p2=e1+e2/2, p3=e1+e2/2+e3/4, p4=e1+e2/2+e3/4+e4/8. Do you see where this is going? Aren't all of the pi in S? Isn't the limit in the Hilbert space, since H is a complete metric space?

1. What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that refers to a complete vector space equipped with an inner product. It is named after the German mathematician David Hilbert.

2. What does it mean for a subset of Hilbert space to be closed?

A closed subset of Hilbert space is one in which every convergent sequence of points in the subset has a limit point that is also in the subset. In other words, the subset contains all of its limit points.

3. Can you give an example of a linear subset of Hilbert space that is not closed?

One example of a linear subset of Hilbert space that is not closed is the set of all polynomials on the interval [0,1]. This set is not closed because it does not contain all of its limit points, such as the polynomial x^n for n=0,1,2,... which converges to the function f(x)=0, but f(x) is not a polynomial.

4. How can you prove that a subset of Hilbert space is not closed?

To prove that a subset of Hilbert space is not closed, you can show that there exists a convergent sequence of points in the subset that does not have a limit point in the subset.

5. Why is it important to understand examples of linear subsets of Hilbert space that are not closed?

Understanding examples of linear subsets of Hilbert space that are not closed is important for understanding the properties and limitations of Hilbert space. It also has applications in fields such as functional analysis, quantum mechanics, and signal processing.