Example Problem Involving Forces

In summary, the person in this example was able to magnify their force almost six times by using a technique that takes advantage of the tension in the rope. By tying one end of the rope to a boulder, the rock also contributes to the force on the car, increasing the overall tension and allowing for a greater force to be exerted on the car. This technique can be compared to the concept of levers and pulleys, where the angle of the rope also plays a role in the resulting force.
Bashyboy
I am reading in my textbook an example problem. In this problem, there is a rope tied to a boulder on one end, and on the other it is tied to a car stuck in the mud. A person then applies a force at the midpoint of the rope. I was wondering if someone could explain to me why the "person pushing on the rope was able to magnify their effort almost six times using this technique"? I ask, because the author didn't do an actual good job at explaining the physics behind this technique, but rather employed themselves in explaining the mathematics--which is the part I don't really have any trouble with. I was just wondering if someone could explain this technique from a conceptual standpoint.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bashyboy! :smile:

It's because what is important is not force, but work

you're probably familiar with levers and pulleys, where you move your end, say six metres, but the other end moves only one metre …

look at the geometry here … when the angle is θ, you move the middle of the rope, and the end moves tanθ as far, exactly like a lever :wink:

Actually, I don't really know how pulleys and levers work, and I have not learned about the concept of work yet. I uploaded a screen shot of the problem. Its from a chapter bout Dynamics. To me, the way they explain the example is almost entirely mathematical. I was just wondering if there was a conceptual way of explaining the problem, especially why the person in the problem was able to magnify their force almost by six times by using this technique.

Attachments

• Physics.jpg
    Physics.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 425
You can replace(resolve) a force with equivalent sum of forces.
Here the force exerted by the girl can be replaced by 2 forces at an angle of (90-5)°.

If we add the 2 forces, the resultant should be the same as applied by the girl which 300N vertically.

Let the value=x
xCos(90-θ)+xCos(90-θ)=y
2Sinθ=y
2xSin5°=300N
x=1721N

Evaluation.
It depends on the angle. Greater the angle the more resultant force.

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
Actually, I don't really know how pulleys and levers work, and I have not learned about the concept of work yet. I uploaded a screen shot of the problem. Its from a chapter bout Dynamics. To me, the way they explain the example is almost entirely mathematical. I was just wondering if there was a conceptual way of explaining the problem, especially why the person in the problem was able to magnify their force almost by six times by using this technique.

On a very qualitative level, what is pulling on the car is not the person, but the tension in the rope. Now, if the person just pulls horizontally with some force on the rope, that force is just transmitted to the car via the tension in the rope. The cleverness of tying the rope to the boulder is that the rock exerts a force on the rope, increasing its tension (whereas without the rock, only the person is contributing to any forces on the car).

Related to Example Problem Involving Forces

1. What is an example of a problem involving forces?

An example of a problem involving forces is calculating the acceleration of a car given its mass and the amount of force applied to it by the engine.

2. How do you determine the net force in a problem involving forces?

The net force in a problem involving forces is determined by adding all of the individual forces acting on an object together.

3. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces are forces that are equal in size and opposite in direction, resulting in no overall change in an object's motion. Unbalanced forces are forces that are not equal in size or opposite in direction, resulting in a change in an object's motion.

4. How do you calculate the force of gravity in a problem involving forces?

The force of gravity can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

5. Can you give an example of a problem involving friction?

An example of a problem involving friction is calculating the amount of force needed to push a heavy box across a rough surface, taking into account the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface.