Examples of Finite and Infinite Values for 0^∞ Indeterminate Form?

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forms List
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of undefined numbers and indeterminate forms, specifically the form 0^\infty. The speaker is curious about any examples of this form in limits and shares their thoughts on why they see 1^\infty as indeterminate. They also ask for clarification on the reference to 0^\infty as an indeterminate form and eventually find an explanation on why it is not considered an indeterminate form.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
Not so much a homework problem as a curiosity on my part. I chose to give a presentation recently on undefined numbers. With that, indeterminate's unsurprisingly found their way into my presentation.

After reading up on the list of indeterminate forms, I stumbled upon the form [tex]0^\infty[/tex] and for the life of my couldn't think of any examples in limits that have this form.

In my mind, I see such indeterminates as [tex]1^\infty[/tex] as trying to say
"multiplying 1 by itself repeatedly obviously still gives 1, but we're trying to do it so many times that it finally equals something other than 1".
Such an example would be e:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{x}\right)^{x}[/tex]

Now a quick example of [tex]0^\infty[/tex] would be [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)^x[/tex]

but in a way, I see this as "enforcing" the answer zero since this limit tends to zero much faster than [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{x}[/tex] does.

So can anyone give me an example of such an indeterminate form that equals a finite, and possibly even infinite value.

Physics news on Phys.org

Where did you find the reference to [itex]0^\infty[/itex] as an indeterminate form? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a reason why this should be indeterminate.

Why is [itex]1^\infty[/itex] indeterminate?

Nevermind found it in the other thread.

x= 1^infinity is equivalent to ln(x)= infinity*ln(1)= infinity*0=0/1/infinity = 0/0

So is 0^infinity then equivalent to ln(x) = infinity*ln(0) = infinity*-infinity

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of an indeterminate form?

An indeterminate form is an algebraic expression that cannot be evaluated to a single numerical value because it involves a limit of a function that is undefined or takes on an ambiguous form.

2. How many types of indeterminate forms are there?

There are five main types of indeterminate forms: 0/0, ∞/∞, 0*∞, ∞-∞, and 1^∞.

3. How do you identify an indeterminate form?

An indeterminate form can be identified by simplifying the expression and finding that the resulting value is undefined or takes on an ambiguous form, such as 0/0 or ∞-∞.

4. Can all indeterminate forms be solved?

No, not all indeterminate forms can be solved. Some may require further manipulation or the use of mathematical techniques, such as L'Hôpital's rule, to determine a finite value.

5. Why are indeterminate forms important in mathematics and science?

Indeterminate forms are important in mathematics and science because they often arise in limits and can provide insight into the behavior of functions at certain points or as they approach certain values. They also play a crucial role in calculus and the study of derivatives and integrals.