Excel's Power trendline formula?

Power trendlines are useful when data values rise or fall at increasingly higher rates.In summary, MS Excel uses a power trendline to find the best fit for data points. This is particularly useful when the data exhibits a rising or falling trend at increasing rates. The user in this conversation is experimenting with data from a project and is looking for help with the mathematical calculations or a library/code in C#. They have also provided a link to a resource that may provide clues for those who can decipher it.
lownlazy
Can you please tell me what MS Excel uses to find a Power trendline?

I have been experiment with data from my PunchBot project and it seems the Power Trendline fits the best. The plan is the used the data from my machine (an array of time intervals) to find the curve of the acceleration and used that to work out angular velocity and then torque.

If you could tell me the maths that would great. If you could point me towards a library or some code (preferably c#) that would be superb.

This links will hold some clues for those that can decifer...
http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/chart_trendline_formulas/

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is possible to reword the post?

From the Excel documentation:
A power trendline uses this equation to calculate the least squares fit through points:
http://officeimg.vo.msecnd.net/en-us/files/897/240/ZA006051090.gif
where c and b are constants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Excel's Power trendline formula?

1. How do I add a power trendline in Excel?

To add a power trendline in Excel, first select the data series for which you want to add the trendline. Then, right-click on the data and select "Add Trendline" from the menu. In the "Format Trendline" window, select "Power" as the Trend/Regression type and click "Close." The power trendline will now be added to your chart.

2. How do I change the power trendline formula in Excel?

To change the power trendline formula in Excel, first select the trendline on your chart. Then, right-click on the trendline and select "Format Trendline" from the menu. In the "Format Trendline" window, go to the "Options" tab and check the "Display Equation on chart" box. You can now edit the power trendline formula directly on the chart.

3. What is the R-squared value in Excel's power trendline?

The R-squared value in Excel's power trendline is a statistical measure of how well the trendline fits the data points. It ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 indicating a perfect fit and 0 indicating no correlation. A higher R-squared value indicates a stronger relationship between the trendline and the data.

4. Can I add a power trendline to a scatter plot in Excel?

Yes, you can add a power trendline to a scatter plot in Excel. Simply select the data points on your scatter plot and follow the same steps as adding a trendline to a line chart (see question 1). The power trendline will now be added to your scatter plot.

5. How can I use the power trendline formula to make predictions in Excel?

To use the power trendline formula to make predictions in Excel, you can enter new x-values in a column next to your existing data and use the trendline formula to calculate the corresponding y-values. Alternatively, you can use the "Forecast" function to generate predicted values based on the trendline formula. Make sure to check the "Display Equation on chart" box to view the power trendline formula on your chart.