Exclusives in public libraries?

• Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Libraries
In summary, scientists do not use public libraries because they have their own libraries which usually contain a lot of articles and books which cannot be found on the internet.
Psinter
Have you ever found information in a public library that you could not find on the internet? For example, the basic equations of motion taught in General Physics I, can be found readily on the internet as well as examples and practice problems. But have you ever found scientific information exclusively in a book in a public library that you could not find on the internet?

The only exclusive information I have found on a public library that I could not find on the internet was about history. But I have never found scientific information on a public library that I could not find in one form or another on the internet.

There have been indeed scientific things that I have found only on books that I have bought and whose information was not readily available on the internet. But those books were not available in public libraries either.

Have you ever found information exclusively in a public library that you could not find on the internet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scientists don't use public libraries. They are not meant to serve them. Scientists have their own libraries which usually contain a lot of articles and books which cannot be found on the internet, and if, not for free. The question doesn't make sense. You're not looking for a formula one car at the next used cars dealer at the corner, won't you?

Likes ISamson
fresh_42 said:
You're not looking for a formula one car at the next used cars dealer at the corner, won't you?
...I might. Just kidding :-p.

I get it. Thanks.

Generally no.
If you want technical and scientific information, then internet, MAYBE, and if really needed, sooner or later you want to go to either a college library or a university library.

symbolipoint said:
Generally no.
If you want technical and scientific information, then internet, MAYBE, and if really needed, sooner or later you want to go to either a college library or a university library.
In my mind I included university libraries as public libraries because for me, I just waddle in as if they were public libraries. I know it's different, but when creating the thread my mind was including them. Of course, no one can know what my mind is referring to. Only what I write down. My mistake :confused:.

But it's fine. It's not like this thread matters much. Thanks for the feedback.

1. What are exclusives in public libraries?

Exclusives in public libraries refer to materials or resources that are only available to the public through the library. These can include books, audiobooks, e-books, online databases, and other media that are not available for purchase or access elsewhere.

2. How are exclusives selected for public libraries?

Exclusives are typically selected by librarians or library staff based on factors such as relevance to the community, popular demand, and quality of the material. Some exclusives may also be selected based on partnerships with publishers or authors.

3. Are exclusives only available in physical form at the library?

No, exclusives may also be available in digital form through the library's website or online databases. This allows for easier access for patrons who may not be able to physically visit the library.

4. Can I request a specific exclusive to be added to my local library?

Yes, most libraries have a system in place for patrons to request specific materials to be added to their collection. You can speak to a librarian or fill out a request form to suggest an exclusive for your library.

5. Are exclusives available for all ages and interests?

Yes, libraries strive to provide a diverse range of exclusives that cater to all ages and interests. This can include materials for children, teens, and adults, as well as various genres and subject areas.