Exhaustion Methods Explained: Sum of Areas of Outer & Inner Rectangles

• Thread starter andrewkg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the sum of areas of outer and inner rectangles, with the formula (b^3/n^3)(1^2+2^2+3^2...+n^2) for the outer and (b^3/n^3)(1^2+2^2+3^2...+(n-1)^2) for the inner. The question is why the value of k for the inner sum goes to n-1, and the person eventually figures it out. The other person also provides a formula for the sum of squared numbers.
andrewkg
Well if anyone has read Apostol's vol 1. Can anyone explain in the beginingthe sum of the areas of the outer rectangles is (b^3/n^3)(k^2) or
(b^3/n^3)(1^2+2^2+3^2…+n^2)

And the area of the inner rectangles and (b^3/n^3)(1^2+2^2+3^2…+(n-1)^2)

What I would like to know is why does the value of k for the inner area sum goes to n-1
Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh yeah. My idea was that the interior rectangles cannot have a value directly at b so the value of k must be under the of n so n doesn't cancek out. Although this woukd not occur anyways because the value of n on the bottom is n^3 and the value of k on tome is only squared. Honestly though I don't have a good idea. I tryed it graphically on my own paper I got lost with what I was doing.

You should know that
[tex]1^2+ 2^2+ 3^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ n^2= \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

As to what happens to the "k", I doubt if anyone can answer because you have not said what "k" represents.

Nvm I got it. Thanks though

for your question. The exhaustion method, also known as the method of exhaustion, is a mathematical technique used to calculate the area of a shape by approximating it with smaller and smaller shapes. This method was developed by ancient Greek mathematicians and was refined by mathematicians such as Archimedes and Eudoxus.

In the context of your question, we are using the exhaustion method to calculate the area under a curve. Specifically, we are using rectangles to approximate the area under the curve. The idea is to divide the interval [0,b] into n equal subintervals and then calculate the area of each rectangle. The sum of these areas will give us an approximation of the area under the curve.

Now, let's focus on the inner and outer rectangles. The outer rectangles are the ones that touch the curve at their upper edge, while the inner rectangles are the ones that touch the curve at their lower edge. As the number of rectangles increases (as n increases), the width of each rectangle decreases, resulting in a better approximation of the area under the curve.

In the case of the outer rectangles, the value of k represents the height of each rectangle. As n increases, k also increases, but the value of k for the inner rectangles is always one less than the value of k for the outer rectangles. This is because the inner rectangle at the rightmost end of the interval [0,b] does not touch the curve at its upper edge, but rather at its lower edge. Therefore, the value of k for this rectangle is n-1.

To sum up, the value of k for the inner rectangles goes to n-1 because the rightmost inner rectangle does not touch the curve at its upper edge, resulting in a one unit decrease in the value of k. This is a fundamental aspect of the exhaustion method and is crucial in accurately calculating the area under a curve. I hope this explanation helps clarify your question.

What is the purpose of using exhaustion methods in mathematics?

Exhaustion methods are used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller, easier-to-calculate shapes, such as rectangles. This allows for a more accurate estimation of the total area.

How do you calculate the sum of areas of outer and inner rectangles?

To calculate the sum of areas of outer and inner rectangles, you first divide the interval of the curve into equal subintervals. Then, you calculate the area of the outer rectangle by multiplying the width of the subinterval by the maximum value of the function within that interval. Next, you calculate the area of the inner rectangle by multiplying the width of the subinterval by the minimum value of the function within that interval. Finally, you add up the areas of all the outer and inner rectangles to get the total sum.

What is the difference between the sum of areas of outer and inner rectangles and the actual area under the curve?

The sum of areas of outer and inner rectangles is an approximation of the actual area under the curve. The more subintervals you use, the closer the approximation will be to the actual area. However, it will never be exactly equal to the actual area unless an infinite number of subintervals are used.

What are the limitations of using exhaustion methods?

One limitation of using exhaustion methods is that it can be time-consuming to calculate the sum of areas of outer and inner rectangles, especially when a large number of subintervals are used. Additionally, if the function has a lot of variation within each subinterval, the approximation may not be very accurate.

What are some real-world applications of exhaustion methods?

Exhaustion methods are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the area under a curve representing a physical phenomenon, such as velocity over time or force over distance. They are also used in economics to estimate the value of a product or service over time. In addition, they can be used in finance to calculate the value of an investment over a period of time.