Existence of Cartesian product

In summary: Thinking)We take the union because we want to make sure that we have all possible ordered pairs that can be formed using elements from both sets. If we just took the second option, we would only have ordered pairs where the first element is the same (e.g. <1,1>, <2,2>, etc.) and we would be missing out on pairs like <1,2> or <2,1>. Taking the union ensures that we have all possible combinations.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Sentence:

If $A,B$ are sets, there is the (unique) set, of which the elements are exactly the following: $\langle a,b\rangle: a \in A \wedge b \in B$.

Proof:

Remark: $\langle a,b\rangle:=\{ \{a\},\{a,b\}\}$

If $a \in A$, then $\{ a \} \subset A \rightarrow \{ a \} \in \mathcal{P}A \rightarrow \{a\} \in \mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$

If $b \in B$, then $\{a,b\} \subset A \cup B \rightarrow \{a,b\} \in \mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$

Therefore, $\{ \{a\},\{a,b\}\} \in \mathcal{P}\mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$

Therefore, from the theorem:

"Let $\phi$ type. If there is a set $Y$, such that $\forall x(\phi(x) \rightarrow x \in Y)$, there there is the set $\{x:\phi(x)\}$."

we conclude that there is the set $\{\langle a,b \rangle : a \in A \wedge b \in B \}$

Could you explain me the above proof? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove that $\{x:\phi(x)\}$ is a set, we have to specify something that has already been proven to be a set and from where all such $x$'s come from. That is, if $Y$ is known to be a set, then we are allowed to conclude that $\{x\in Y:\phi(x)\}$ is a set. If no such $Y$ is known, then we are not allowed to conclude that $\{x:\phi(x)\}$ is a set.

In the case of Cartesian product, $\phi(x)$ is $\exists a\in A\,\exists b\in B\;x=\langle a,b\rangle$. So the proof constructs a set $Y$ where all ordered pairs $\langle a,b\rangle$ come from. It turns out that one option is $Y=\mathcal{P}\mathcal{P}(A\cup B)$.

If you have further questions, please point out the exact statement that is not clear.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
To prove that $\{x:\phi(x)\}$ is a set, we have to specify something that has already been proven to be a set and from where all such $x$'s come from. That is, if $Y$ is known to be a set, then we are allowed to conclude that $\{x\in Y:\phi(x)\}$ is a set. If no such $Y$ is known, then we are not allowed to conclude that $\{x:\phi(x)\}$ is a set.

In the case of Cartesian product, $\phi(x)$ is $\exists a\in A\,\exists b\in B\;x=\langle a,b\rangle$. So the proof constructs a set $Y$ where all ordered pairs $\langle a,b\rangle$ come from. It turns out that one option is $Y=\mathcal{P}\mathcal{P}(A\cup B)$.

If you have further questions, please point out the exact statement that is not clear.

I understand... (Smile)
Could you explain me how we conclude, that if $b \in B$, then $\{a,b\} \subset A \cup B \rightarrow \{a,b\} \in \mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$ ?

Also, why $\{ \{a\},\{a,b\}\} \in \mathcal{P}\mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$ ? :confused:

evinda said:
Could you explain me how we conclude, that if $b \in B$, then $\{a,b\} \subset A \cup B \rightarrow \{a,b\} \in \mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$ ?
First of all, it is assumed that $a\in A$. Second, these are two conclusions: since $a\in A$ and $b\in B$, we have $\{a,b\} \subset A \cup B$, and this in turn implies that $\{a,b\} \in \mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$. Now, I assume you understand that if John owns a cat and Ellen owns a dog, then the pair {John, Ellen} is a subset of all cat- and dog-owners.

evinda said:
Also, why $\{ \{a\},\{a,b\}\} \in \mathcal{P}\mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$ ? :confused:
Because the proof has already established that $\{a\}\in\mathcal{P}(A\cup B)$ and $\{a,b\}\in\mathcal{P}(A\cup B)$, and the unordered pair of those objects is therefore a subset of $\mathcal{P}(A\cup B)$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
First of all, it is assumed that $a\in A$. Second, these are two conclusions: since $a\in A$ and $b\in B$, we have $\{a,b\} \subset A \cup B$, and this in turn implies that $\{a,b\} \in \mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$. Now, I assume you understand that if John owns a cat and Ellen owns a dog, then the pair {John, Ellen} is a subset of all cat- and dog-owners.

I understand.. (Nod)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Because the proof has already established that $\{a\}\in\mathcal{P}(A\cup B)$ and $\{a,b\}\in\mathcal{P}(A\cup B)$, and the unordered pair of those objects is therefore a subset of $\mathcal{P}(A\cup B)$.

So, if $c \in \mathcal{P} A$ and $d \in \mathcal{P} A$, is it then $\{c,d\} \in \mathcal{P}\mathcal{P} A$ ? :confused:

evinda said:
So, if $c \in \mathcal{P} A$ and $d \in \mathcal{P} A$, is it then $\{c,d\} \in \mathcal{P}\mathcal{P} A$ ?
I'll tell you a more amazing thing: if $u\in X$ and $v\in X$, then $\{u,v\}\in\mathcal{P}(X)$. (Smile) Which is not really amazing: everybody knows that if Smokey and Tigger are cats, then the (unordered) pair {Smokey, Tigger} is a subset of all cats.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I'll tell you a more amazing thing: if $u\in X$ and $v\in X$, then $\{u,v\}\in\mathcal{P}(X)$. (Smile) Which is not really amazing: everybody knows that if Smokey and Tigger are cats, then the (unordered) pair {Smokey, Tigger} is a subset of all cats.

A ok... (Nod)

And then, do we use the theorem, because:

$$\phi: \exists a \in A, b \in B \ : \ x=<a,b>$$

$$\forall x(\phi(x) \rightarrow x \in \mathcal{P} \mathcal{P}(A \cup B)$$
? (Thinking)

Yes.

May I also ask you what exactly was unclear to you and how the information I provided helped? I don't think you did not know the facts about cats...

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes.

May I also ask you what exactly was unclear to you and how the information I provided helped? I don't think you did not know the facts about cats...

I didn't notice, for example, that if $u \in X$ and $v \in X$, then $\{u,v\} \in \mathcal{P} X$. I got it, thanks to you examples! (Smile)

After that, there are some examples of Cartesian products. One of the given examples is this:

$$\mathbb{Z} \times \{1,2\}=\{<x,1>: x \in \mathbb{Z}\} \cup \{ <x,2>:x \in \mathbb{Z}\}$$

Could you explain me why we take the union and it isn't like that: $\{<x,1>,<x,2>: x \in \mathbb{Z}\}$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Could you explain me why we take the union and it isn't like that: $\{<x,1>,<x,2>: x \in \mathbb{Z}\}$ ?
$\{\langle x,1\rangle ,\langle x,2\rangle : x \in \mathbb{Z}\}$ is not a well-formed set-builder notation. This notation has the form $\{x:\phi(x)\}$. There are also various extensions and abbreviations, for example $\{x\in A:\phi(x)\}=\{x:x\in A\land \phi(x)\}$ and $\{f(x):\phi(x)\}=\{y:\exists x\,y=f(x)\land \phi(x)\}$. But $\{f(x),g(x):\phi(x)\}$ is not a standard notation.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
$\{\langle x,1\rangle ,\langle x,2\rangle : x \in \mathbb{Z}\}$ is not a well-formed set-builder notation. This notation has the form $\{x:\phi(x)\}$. There are also various extensions and abbreviations, for example $\{x\in A:\phi(x)\}=\{x:x\in A\land \phi(x)\}$ and $\{f(x):\phi(x)\}=\{y:\exists x\,y=f(x)\land \phi(x)\}$. But $\{f(x),g(x):\phi(x)\}$ is not a standard notation.

I understand.. (Nod) Thanks a lot! (Smile)

1. What is a Cartesian product?

The Cartesian product is a mathematical operation that combines two sets of elements to form a new set. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is used to find all possible combinations of elements from the two sets.

2. How is the Cartesian product calculated?

The Cartesian product is calculated by taking each element from the first set and pairing it with every element from the second set. This results in a new set with all possible combinations of elements from the original sets.

3. What is the purpose of using a Cartesian product?

The Cartesian product is used in set theory and combinatorics to find all possible combinations of elements from two sets. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as in graph theory and linear algebra.

4. Can the Cartesian product be applied to more than two sets?

Yes, the Cartesian product can be applied to any number of sets. The resulting set will contain all possible combinations of elements from all the original sets.

5. How is the Cartesian product related to the Cartesian coordinate system?

The Cartesian product is closely related to the Cartesian coordinate system, as it was originally developed by French philosopher and mathematician René Descartes as a way to represent geometric figures and equations using ordered pairs of numbers.