1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existence/Uniqueness of x?

1. Aug 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that there is a unique real number x such that for every real number y, xy + x -4 = 4y

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Givens:
    x, y are real numbers

The goal has the form
    ∃!x(∀y(xy+x-4=4y))

Existence:
    We want to prove that ∃x(∀y(xy+x-4=4y))
    First, we let y be an arbitrary real number, then we solve the equation xy+x-4 = 4y for x, to get

x = 4y+4/(y+1)
    However, this equation has two special cases depending on if y does or doesn't equal -1, therefore I split up the Existence proof into two cases

Case 1a) y = -1,
    then x(-1+1) = 4(-1) + 4 which turns into x(0) = 4(0) + 4 = 0
    The first and last parts of this equation tell us that x(0) = 0, but this is true for ALL X, therefore for any value of x this case where y = - 1 is true, therefore existence is proved in this case.

Case 1b) y=/=-1
    then x = 4y+4/(y+1)

I have proved existence, now I want to prove Uniqueness: that is, if there exists some other real number, say z, such that
    zy + z - 4 = 4y, that z = x.

So we let z be an arbitrary real number and we make the assumption that zy + z - 4 = 4y and prove that z = x:

but this just brings up two cases again:

case 2a) y = -1, then z can be anything (just like in case 1a)
    case 2b) y=/= -1, then z = 4y+4/(y+1) which implies that z=x

In this case Uniqueness is impossible since when y=-1, z could be any real number and x can be any real number, for example, z = 3/4 and x = 1000000000
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was there some sort of mistake in my reasoning? The text never explicitly states in the question that y=/=-1 so I have to consider the case where it is -1 since the equation 'breaks down' since I can't divide by 0. I'm sort of stuck on this, is this a mistake on my part or should the text have specified that y=/=-1? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are missing some parentheses here ...

xy + x - 4 = 4y
    x(y+1) = 4y + 4
    x(y+1) = 4(y+1)
    x = ...

4. Aug 22, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No you haven't. You have expressed x as a function of y, but you have to show there's a single x that works for all y.
    Hint: the way you have written that equation is wrong. Get the parentheses right.

Edit: Orodruin pipped me at the 'post'.

5. Aug 22, 2014 #4
    The business with cases is entirely unnecessary. You're misinterpreting the question I think. Find an explicit x (that does not depend on y!) such that xy + x -4 = 4y for all y. Yes, including y=-1.

Don't solve for x in terms of y. Don't do anything to the equation! Pick a couple x to see what happens. Try x=1, 2, -50, pi, etc. There's a particular x such that this is true, regardless of y.

6. Aug 22, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may also be misinterpreting the question, your x should be the same regardless of the value of y, i.e., there is a fixed x for which the equality holds regardless of what y is.

7. Aug 22, 2014 #6
    Ah, yes. That's exactly what I meant, it was a slip-up on my part.

So in other words I should just be able to say x=4 works for all possible values of y. Woops. I should probably take a break.
    Thanks for the clarification.

8. Aug 22, 2014 #7
    Are you talking to me? Because that's exactly what I said.

9. Aug 22, 2014 #8
    Yup! 4 works. Then you must prove uniqueness.

10. Aug 22, 2014 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When I started writing that I was still had the lone reply in this thread :tongue:

11. Aug 22, 2014 #10
    Haha, I hate that. I forgive you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted