Existence/Uniqueness of x?

• Thread starter pandaBee
  • Start date
In summary, there exists a unique real number x, such that for every real number y, xy + x -4 = 4y. To prove this, we first set y as an arbitrary real number and solve the equation for x to get x = 4y+4/(y+1). This equation has two special cases, but considering the case where y does not equal -1, we see that x=4 satisfies the equation for all values of y. This proves existence. To prove uniqueness, we assume the existence of another real number z that satisfies the equation for all values of y, and through a series of cases, we see that this is impossible. Therefore, x = 4 is the unique solution to the equation
pandaBee

Homework Statement

Prove that there is a unique real number x such that for every real number y, xy + x -4 = 4y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Givens:
x, y are real numbers

The goal has the form
∃!x(∀y(xy+x-4=4y))

Existence:
We want to prove that ∃x(∀y(xy+x-4=4y))
First, we let y be an arbitrary real number, then we solve the equation xy+x-4 = 4y for x, to get

x = 4y+4/(y+1)
However, this equation has two special cases depending on if y does or doesn't equal -1, therefore I split up the Existence proof into two cases

Case 1a) y = -1,
then x(-1+1) = 4(-1) + 4 which turns into x(0) = 4(0) + 4 = 0
The first and last parts of this equation tell us that x(0) = 0, but this is true for ALL X, therefore for any value of x this case where y = - 1 is true, therefore existence is proved in this case.

Case 1b) y=/=-1
then x = 4y+4/(y+1)

I have proved existence, now I want to prove Uniqueness: that is, if there exists some other real number, say z, such that
zy + z - 4 = 4y, that z = x.

So we let z be an arbitrary real number and we make the assumption that zy + z - 4 = 4y and prove that z = x:

but this just brings up two cases again:

case 2a) y = -1, then z can be anything (just like in case 1a)
case 2b) y=/= -1, then z = 4y+4/(y+1) which implies that z=x

In this case Uniqueness is impossible since when y=-1, z could be any real number and x can be any real number, for example, z = 3/4 and x = 1000000000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was there some sort of mistake in my reasoning? The text never explicitly states in the question that y=/=-1 so I have to consider the case where it is -1 since the equation 'breaks down' since I can't divide by 0. I'm sort of stuck on this, is this a mistake on my part or should the text have specified that y=/=-1? Any help would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
pandaBee said:
First, we let y be an arbitrary real number, then we solve the equation xy+x-4 = 4y for x, to get

x = 4y+4/(y+1)

You are missing some parentheses here ...

xy + x - 4 = 4y
x(y+1) = 4y + 4
x(y+1) = 4(y+1)
x = ...

pandaBee said:
Case 1b) y=/=-1
then x = 4y+4/(y+1)

I have proved existence,
No you haven't. You have expressed x as a function of y, but you have to show there's a single x that works for all y.
Hint: the way you have written that equation is wrong. Get the parentheses right.

Edit: Orodruin pipped me at the 'post'.

The business with cases is entirely unnecessary. You're misinterpreting the question I think. Find an explicit x (that does not depend on y!) such that xy + x -4 = 4y for all y. Yes, including y=-1.

Don't solve for x in terms of y. Don't do anything to the equation! Pick a couple x to see what happens. Try x=1, 2, -50, pi, etc. There's a particular x such that this is true, regardless of y.

You may also be misinterpreting the question, your x should be the same regardless of the value of y, i.e., there is a fixed x for which the equality holds regardless of what y is.

Orodruin said:
You are missing some parentheses here ...

xy + x - 4 = 4y
x(y+1) = 4y + 4
x(y+1) = 4(y+1)
x = ...
Ah, yes. That's exactly what I meant, it was a slip-up on my part.

So in other words I should just be able to say x=4 works for all possible values of y. Woops. I should probably take a break.
Thanks for the clarification.

Orodruin said:
You may also be misinterpreting the question, your x should be the same regardless of the value of y, i.e., there is a fixed x for which the equality holds regardless of what y is.

Are you talking to me? Because that's exactly what I said.

pandaBee said:
Ah, yes. That's exactly what I meant, it was a slip-up on my part.

So in other words I should just be able to say x=4 works for all possible values of y. Woops. I should probably take a break.
Thanks for the clarification.

Yup! 4 works. Then you must prove uniqueness.

johnqwertyful said:
Are you talking to me? Because that's exactly what I said.

When I started writing that I was still had the lone reply in this thread :tongue:

Orodruin said:
When I started writing that I was still had the lone reply in this thread :tongue:

Haha, I hate that. I forgive you :)

1. What is the meaning of "existence/uniqueness" in scientific research?

The concept of existence/uniqueness in scientific research refers to the presence and specificity of a particular phenomenon or variable. It is the quality of being real and distinct from other similar phenomena or variables. In other words, it pertains to the recognition and differentiation of a specific element or entity in a given context.

2. Why is it important to establish the existence/uniqueness of a variable in scientific studies?

Establishing the existence/uniqueness of a variable is crucial in scientific studies because it determines the validity and reliability of the findings. Without a clear understanding of the presence and specificity of a variable, the results of a study may not accurately reflect the reality being studied. It also helps to avoid confusion and ensure that the research is focused and well-defined.

3. What methods or techniques are commonly used to establish the existence/uniqueness of a variable in scientific research?

There are various methods and techniques used to establish the existence/uniqueness of a variable in scientific research. These include observation, experimentation, statistical analysis, and expert validation. In some cases, a combination of these methods may be used to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.

4. Can the existence/uniqueness of a variable change over time?

Yes, the existence/uniqueness of a variable can change over time. This is because variables are often influenced by external factors and can exhibit different characteristics or behaviors under different conditions. It is important for scientists to continuously monitor and reassess the existence/uniqueness of a variable to ensure the validity of their findings.

5. What are the potential consequences of not establishing the existence/uniqueness of a variable in scientific research?

Failing to establish the existence/uniqueness of a variable in scientific research can lead to inaccurate or misleading conclusions. This can have serious consequences, such as wasted resources, misinformed policies, and even harm to individuals or the environment. It is essential for scientists to thoroughly establish the existence/uniqueness of variables to ensure the validity and ethicality of their research.