Expanding a bracket of derivatives

In summary, when expanding brackets and applying operators that do not commute, the order of terms must be maintained in the final result. The fact that ##x## and ##\frac{d}{dx}## do not commute is important in Quantum Mechanics.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
Show that [itex](\frac{d}{dx} +x)(-\frac{d}{dx} + x)z = -\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}}+x^{2}z + z[/itex]
Relevant Equations
N/A
I am wondering why the two methods below give different answers. If I multiply [itex]z[/itex] through the second bracket I get $$(\frac{d}{dx} +x)(-\frac{dz}{dx} + xz)$$which, on expansion, yields $$-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{dz}{dx} -x\frac{dz}{dx} + \frac{d(xz)}{dx} + x^{2}z = -\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} + x^{2}z + z$$ via the product rule on the third term, as required. However, if instead I expand the brackets first before multiplying through by [itex]z[/itex], I get$$(-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dx} -x\frac{d}{dx} + x\frac{d}{dx} + x^{2})z = -\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} + x^{2}z$$ I know the error has something to do with misusing the [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] operator, but I can't pinpoint it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is / does ##z##? Is it left multiplication with a variable called ##z##? What is / does ##z.f(x)##?

I would apply the entire thing to a function ##f## and work with usual derivatives. And note that they are not commutative!

Last edited:
Yes, please define and/or give refs for the operator.

fresh_42 said:
What is / does ##z##? Is it left multiplication with a variable called ##z##? What is / does ##z.f(x)##?

I would apply the entire thing to a function ##f## and work with usual derivatives. And note that they are not commutative!

WWGD said:
Yes, please define and/or give refs for the operator.

Sorry I should have added, that [itex]z(x)[/itex] is some function of [itex]x[/itex], though no other information is given apart from that and the problem statement.

Then apply the operators to ##z(x)## and write ##\dfrac{d}{dx}z(x)=z'(x)##. But do not multiply. Chances are you make a mistake since multiplication isn't commutative.
$$
(\frac{d}{dx} +x)(-\frac{d}{dx} + x)z =\left(\frac{d}{dx} +x\right)\left[\left((-\frac{d}{dx} + x)z\right)\right]
$$

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
However, if instead I expand the brackets first before multiplying through by [itex]z[/itex], I get$$(-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dx} -x\frac{d}{dx} + x\frac{d}{dx} + x^{2})z = -\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} + x^{2}z$$ I know the error has something to do with misusing the [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] operator, but I can't pinpoint it.

The operators ##x## and ##\frac{d}{dx}## do not commute. That should be:
$$(-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dx} -x\frac{d}{dx} + \frac{d}{dx}x + x^{2})z $$
And the two terms in the middle do not cancel.

By the way, just out of interest, the fact that ##x## and ##\frac{d}{dx}## do not commute is actually at the heart of Quantum Mechanics.

Likes HallsofIvy, FactChecker and etotheipi
fresh_42 said:
Then apply the operators to ##z(x)## and write ##\dfrac{d}{dx}z(x)=z'(x)##. But do not multiply. Chances are you make a mistake since multiplication isn't commutative.
$$
(\frac{d}{dx} +x)(-\frac{d}{dx} + x)z =\left(\frac{d}{dx} +x\right)\left[\left((-\frac{d}{dx} + x)z\right)\right]
$$

PeroK said:
The operators ##x## and ##\frac{d}{dx}## do not commute. That should be:
$$(-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dx} -x\frac{d}{dx} + \frac{d}{dx}x + x^{2})z $$
And the two terms in the middle do not cancel.

By the way, just out of interest, the fact that ##x## and ##\frac{d}{dx}## do not commute is actually at the heart of Quantum Mechanics.

Thank you, I think I now understand. My mistake was exactly that, assuming that each term obtained by expanding the brackets could commute when in fact the order of the different terms must be maintained as per the brackets.

1. What does it mean to "expand a bracket of derivatives"?

Expanding a bracket of derivatives refers to using the product rule to find the derivative of a function that is written as a product of two or more simpler functions.

2. Why is expanding a bracket of derivatives useful?

Expanding a bracket of derivatives allows us to simplify a more complex function into its individual components, making it easier to find the derivative using the product rule. It also allows us to find the derivative of functions that cannot be differentiated using other methods.

3. What is the product rule?

The product rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of f(x) * g(x) is equal to f'(x) * g(x) + f(x) * g'(x).

4. Can you provide an example of expanding a bracket of derivatives?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3x - 5) * (2x^3 + 4x). We can expand this using the product rule to find the derivative: f'(x) = (2x + 3) * (2x^3 + 4x) + (x^2 + 3x - 5) * (6x^2 + 4). This can then be simplified further if needed.

5. Are there any common mistakes when expanding a bracket of derivatives?

Yes, some common mistakes include forgetting to apply the product rule, applying the product rule incorrectly, and not simplifying the resulting derivative. It is important to double check your work and simplify as much as possible to avoid these errors.