Expansion of a point-charge potential

In summary, the conversation discusses manipulating an expansion formula for the potential of a Coulomb interaction and the use of spherical harmonics. The participants discuss potential curves and the need for a function to be integrable. They also reference a relevant paper and provide equations for the correct expansion. Finally, they mention the use of plane-wave molecular integrals as a possible alternative approach.
Morberticus
I'm currently trying to manipulate the expansion

[tex]\frac{1}{|x_1-x_2|} = \sum_{l=0} \frac{r_{<}^l}{r_{>}^{l+1}}P_{l}\left(cos\left(\gamma\right)\right)[/tex]

Where r< is the lesser of |x1| and |x2| and P_l are the legendre polynomials.

I have included up to 4 terms and the resultant potential isn't resembling the expected potential curve. Does anyone have any experience with such expansions, or would you recommend a different expansion (I ultimately need it to make a function integrable) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Morberticus said:
I'm currently trying to manipulate the expansion

[tex]\frac{1}{|x_1-x_2|} = \sum_{l=0} \frac{r_{<}^l}{r_{>}^{l+1}}P_{l}\left(cos\left(\gamma\right)\right)[/tex]

Where r< is the lesser of |x1| and |x2| and P_l are the legendre polynomials.

I have included up to 4 terms and the resultant potential isn't resembling the expected potential curve. Does anyone have any experience with such expansions, or would you recommend a different expansion (I ultimately need it to make a function integrable) ?

What is the resultant potential you are getting, and what were you expecting? What exactly are you trying to make integrable?

Here you go:
Carlson and Rushbrooke, "On the expansion of a coulomb potential in spherical harmonics"
Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society (1950), 46: 626-633
doi:10.1017/S0305004100026190

Equations Ia and Ib give you the correct expansion.

alxm said:
Here you go:
Carlson and Rushbrooke, "On the expansion of a coulomb potential in spherical harmonics"
Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society (1950), 46: 626-633
doi:10.1017/S0305004100026190

Equations Ia and Ib give you the correct expansion.

Hi, thanks. I have implemented Ib and it seems to have made an improvement.

gabbagabbahey: When considering |x1-X|^-1: If X is close to the origin and on the z axis, I get a predictable approximation to |x1-X|^-1 (i.e. If I plot the approximate potential across the singularity, I get a finite peak). However, if X is placed further away from the origin, the potential changes, and a caldera forms. I ultimately am constructing plane-wave molecular integrals, so perhaps this isn't even the best approach.

I would recommend exploring other methods for expanding the point-charge potential, such as using Taylor series or Fourier series. These methods may provide a more accurate representation of the potential curve and make it easier to integrate the function. It is also important to carefully consider the terms included in the expansion and their impact on the overall shape of the potential curve. Additionally, consulting with other scientists or experts in the field may provide valuable insights and recommendations for improving the expansion.

1. What is a point-charge potential?

A point-charge potential is a type of potential energy created by a single point charge in an electrical field. It is a measure of the potential energy that a unit charge would have at a certain point in space, due to the presence of the point charge.

2. How is the expansion of a point-charge potential calculated?

The expansion of a point-charge potential is calculated using the inverse square law, which states that the strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point charge. This means that as the distance from the point charge increases, the potential energy decreases.

3. What is the purpose of expanding a point-charge potential?

The expansion of a point-charge potential allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of electric fields and the potential energy of charged particles in a given space. It also helps us calculate the electric potential energy at specific points in the field.

4. How does the expansion of a point-charge potential relate to Coulomb's law?

The expansion of a point-charge potential is directly related to Coulomb's law, which describes the force between two point charges. Coulomb's law states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. What are some real-world applications of the expansion of a point-charge potential?

The expansion of a point-charge potential has many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and the behavior of particles in a particle accelerator. It is also used in the study of electrostatics and electromagnetic fields, which have numerous applications in technology and engineering.