Expansion of a term with power 2/3

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of a binomial with a non-integer power and how it differs from a regular binomial expansion. It is mentioned that the expansion is an infinite series, but it terminates after a+1 terms if "a" is a non-negative integer. However, if "a" is a fraction or a negative integer, the series is infinite. The reason for this is because one of the terms eventually goes to zero in the expansion of a(a-1)(a-2)...
quietrain

Homework Statement

how am i suppose to expand

(X-4)2/3

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't have any idea :(

any help?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
oh i realize its bionomial expasion...

i never knew the power could be a fraction :X

Yes the binomial expansion can be extended to non integer powers as :

[tex](1 + x)^a = 1 + a x + a (a-1) \, \frac{x^2}{2!} + a (a-1)(a-2) \, \frac{x^3}{3!} + ...[/tex]

This is an infinite series, but as you can easily see it terminates after a+1 terms (indeed to the regular binomial series) if "a" is a non-negative integer.

oh i see thank you, but it doesn't terminate if a is a fraction right?

quietrain said:
oh i see thank you, but it doesn't terminate if a is a fraction right?

Yeah that's right, if "a" is anything other than a non-negative negative integer (that is, if its either negative or a fraction) then it's an infinite series.

It terminates for non-negative integers because eventually one of the terms in a(a-1)(a-2) ... goes to zero.

i see thank you

What is the expansion of a term with power 2/3?

The expansion of a term with power 2/3 refers to the process of simplifying an expression that contains a term raised to the power of 2/3. This involves using mathematical rules and properties to rewrite the expression in a simpler form.

How do you expand a term with power 2/3?

To expand a term with power 2/3, you can use the property of fractional exponents, which states that x^(a/b) is equal to the bth root of x raised to the a power. In other words, x^(2/3) is equal to the cube root of x squared. From there, you can use the rules of exponents to simplify the expression further.

What is the purpose of expanding a term with power 2/3?

The purpose of expanding a term with power 2/3 is to make the expression easier to work with and to allow for further simplification. It can also help in solving equations and understanding the behavior of functions.

Can you expand a term with a negative power of 2/3?

Yes, you can expand a term with a negative power of 2/3. In this case, you would use the rule that x^(-n) is equal to 1/x^n. For example, (2x)^(-2/3) can be expanded to 1/(2x)^(2/3).

Are there any restrictions on the variables when expanding a term with power 2/3?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the variables when expanding a term with power 2/3. For example, the variable cannot have a negative value if it is inside a square root. Also, the variable cannot be equal to zero if it is in the denominator of a fraction. These restrictions are important to keep in mind to ensure that the expanded expression is valid.