Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of universe

1. Dec 29, 2015 #1
    I had seen somewhere that Universe is expanding with a speed greater than Light Speed.... it really sounds absurd for me... As per my sense, light speed is the universal acceptable speed limit and we can't get back if we reach that speed until any other thing outside the object makes it to decelerate..

I mean every thing within the Object gets freezed in Time and So how is it possible for an expansion with such speed..?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Expansion is not associated with a speed because it is an effect of space itself growing, not with things moving in space. Expansion therefore is given by a rate, measured in units of 1/time.

Since it is an effect of space growing and not of anything actually moving, the speed with which the distance between two objects grow can be greater than the speed of light. There is no such upper limit on the rate of spatial expansion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook