Expectation Maximization (EM) : find all parameters

In summary, Expectation Maximization (EM) is an iterative algorithm used to find maximum likelihood estimates for models with latent variables. It works by estimating missing values and updating parameters until convergence. EM has the advantage of handling missing data and can be applied to various models, but it may get stuck in local maxima and requires knowledge of the model structure and initial values. EM is best suited for problems with missing data and a defined probabilistic model and is commonly used in fields such as machine learning and natural language processing.
fab13
I am tackling a technique to determine the parameters of a Moffat Point Spread Function (PSF) defined by:

## \text {PSF} (r, c) = \bigg (1 + \dfrac {r ^ 2 + c ^ 2} {\alpha ^ 2} \bigg) ^ {- \beta} ##

with the parameter "(r, c) =" line, column "(not necessarily integers).

The observation of a star located at ## (r_ {0}, c_ {0}) ## with an amplitude ## a ## and considering a background equal to ## b ##, can be modeled as:

## d (r, c) = a \cdot \text {PSF} _ {\alpha, \beta} (r-r_0, c-c_0) + b + \epsilon (r, c) ##

with ## \epsilon ## a centered Gaussian white noise.

Matrix notation can be used:

## d = H \cdot \theta + \epsilon ## with the parameter array ## \theta = [a, b] ## and the followingmatrix ## H ##:

####
\begin{bmatrix}d(1,1) \\ d(1,2) \\ d(1,3) \\ \vdots \\ d(20,20) \end{bmatrix}
= \begin{bmatrix} \text{PSF}_{\alpha,\beta}(1-r_0,1-c_0) & 1 \\ \text{PSF}_{\alpha,\beta}(1-r_0,2-c_0) & 1 \\ \text{PSF}_{\alpha,\beta}(1-r_0,3-c_0) & 1 \\ \vdots & \vdots \\ \text{PSF}_{\alpha,\beta}(20-r_0,20-c_0) & 1 \end{bmatrix} . \begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \end{bmatrix}
+ \begin{bmatrix}\epsilon(1,1) \\ \epsilon(1,2) \\ \epsilon(1,3) \\ \vdots \\ \epsilon(20,20) \end{bmatrix}
####
the array ## \theta ## which is the array of parameters that we are trying to estimate.

1) In a first part of this exercise, the parameters ## (\alpha, \beta) ## are fixed and one tries to estimate ## \theta = [a, b] ##, that is to say ## a ## and ## b ## by the likelihood method.

An estimator of the parameter array ## \theta = [a, b] ## can be obtained directly by the following expression:

## \theta _ {\text {ML}} = \operatorname {argmin} _ {\theta} \sum_ {i = 1} ^ {N} \, (d(i) - (H \theta)(i)) ^ {2} = (H^T \, H)^{- 1} \, H^{T} \, d ##

with ## d ## the data generated with a standardized PSF (amplitude = 1).

**This technique works well to estimate ## a ## and ## b ## (relative to the fixed values).**2) Now, In the second part, I have to estimate ## (a, b) ## but also ## (r_ {0}, c_ {0}), \alpha, \beta ##**, which means that I have to estimate the following array of parameters: ## \nu = [r_ {0}, c_ {0}, \alpha, \beta] ## and I need to estimate this array ## \nu ## at the same time as the parameters ## \theta = [a b] ##.

For this, we are first asked to put in matrix form this problem of estimation, according to ## \nu ##, ## \theta ## and the matrix ## H ##.

But there, I wonder if I have just to use the same matricial form above (##\quad(1))## ? such that :

## d = H \cdot \theta(\nu) + \epsilon \quad(1)##

So after, I would generate random values for ##[r_{0}, c_{0}, \alpha, \beta]## and ##[a,b]##, wouldn't it ?

Below, an example of image from whch I have to estmate ##\theta## and ##\nu## parameters (20x20 dimensions) :

Ovknw.png

Just a last point, if anyone has the formula to apply to get directly an estimation of ##\nu## and ##\theta## parameters array (like for the first part where I used : ##\theta_{\text{ML}} = (H^T \, H)^{- 1} \, H^{T} \, d##.

It seems, in this case, that I have to use a Cost function (to find the maximum or minimum : If someone could explain to me the principle of this cost function).

**UPDATE 1 :** From what I have seen, it seems the Expectation Maximization (EM) is appropriate for my problem.

The likelihood function is expressed as :

##\mathcal{L}=\prod_{i=1}^{n} \text{PSF}_{i}##

So I have to find ##\nu## and ##\theta## such that ##\dfrac{\partial \text{ln}\mathcal{L}}{\partial \nu}=0## and ##\dfrac{\text{ln}\mathcal{L}}{\partial \theta}=0##

Could anyone help me to implement the EM algorithm to estimate ##\nu## and ##\beta## arrays of parameters ?

Regards

Attachments

• Ovknw.png
    Ovknw.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 554
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your approach to estimating the parameters of the Moffat Point Spread Function. It seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and have already made progress in solving it.

To answer your question, yes, you can use the same matrix form as in (1) to estimate both the parameters ##\theta## and ##\nu##. The only difference is that now your matrix ##H## will have more columns, as it will also include the parameters ##r_0## and ##c_0##. So, the matrix form would look like:

##d = H \cdot \phi(\nu, \theta) + \epsilon \quad(2)##

where ##\phi(\nu, \theta)## is a function that combines both the parameters ##\nu## and ##\theta##.

To generate random values for the parameters, you can use a similar method as in the first part of the exercise. However, keep in mind that now you have more parameters to estimate, so it might be helpful to have some initial guesses for the parameters to start with.

Regarding your question about the cost function, it is a function that measures how well your estimated parameters fit the observed data. In this case, it would be the sum of squared errors between the observed data and the data predicted by your model. The goal is to minimize this cost function to find the best estimates for your parameters.

As for implementing the EM algorithm, it might be helpful to break it down into smaller steps and familiarize yourself with the algorithm first. Once you have a good understanding of it, you can start implementing it in your code. Additionally, there are many resources available online that can help you with implementing the EM algorithm for your specific problem.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your research.A fellow scientist

1. What is Expectation Maximization (EM)?

Expectation Maximization (EM) is an iterative algorithm used to find maximum likelihood estimates for models with latent variables. It is commonly used in machine learning and statistics to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution when some of the data is missing or unobserved.

2. How does EM work?

EM works by iteratively estimating the missing values and then using those estimates to update the parameters of the model. In the expectation step, it estimates the missing values based on the current parameters. In the maximization step, it updates the parameters based on the newly estimated values. This process continues until the parameters converge to a maximum likelihood estimate.

3. What are the advantages of using EM?

EM can handle missing or incomplete data, which is common in many real-world applications. It is also a flexible algorithm that can be applied to various types of models and distributions. Additionally, EM can often provide better parameter estimates than other methods, especially when the data is complex and the number of parameters is large.

4. What are the limitations of EM?

EM can get stuck in local maxima, meaning it may not always find the global maximum likelihood estimate. It also requires knowledge of the model structure and initial values for the parameters. EM can also be computationally expensive, especially for large datasets or complex models.

5. When should EM be used?

EM is best suited for problems where there are missing or unobserved data and a probabilistic model can be defined. It is commonly used in fields such as machine learning, natural language processing, and image processing. EM can also be used for clustering and data imputation tasks.