1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of p^2

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to find the variance of p for a wave function [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,0)=A(a^2-x^2)

I'm confused about how to set up the integral.

it should be something like [tex]-i^2h^2\int_{-a}^a A(a^2-x^2) (\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x})^2 dx[/tex]

I'm confused about the partial derivative squared. My technique was to set up the integral like this:

[tex]hA^3\int_{-a}^a (a^2-x^2) (-2x^2)^2 dx[/tex] but I'm pretty sure my answer is way wrong. I don't know how to deal with the partial derivative. please help.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the variance, you need to find <p> and <p2>, then σ2=<p2>-(<p>)2. With

[tex]\psi(x)=A(a^{2}-x^{2})[/tex]

You should use

[tex]<p^{2}>=A^{2}\int(a^{2}-x^{2})(-\hbar^{2})\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}(a^{2}-x^{2}) dx[/tex]

and

[tex]<p>=A^{2}\int(a^{2}-x^{2})(-i\hbar)\frac{d}{dx}(a^{2}-x^{2}) dx[/tex]

Take the second or first derivatives under the integral sign, before you integrate.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    Thank you. I already found p, but my question is particularly about the part of the integrand that contains the partial derivative squared.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}(a^{2}-x^{2}) dx[/tex]

I don't know what to do with that.

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    Is it just [tex](-2x)^2[\tex]

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Forget about the dx on the end of that expression until you are ready to integrate.

Just take the second derivative of [itex]a^2-x^2[/itex] with respect to [itex]x[/itex]....that's exactly what [itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}(a^{2}-x^{2})[/itex] means.

7. Sep 15, 2009 #6
    So the second derivative is just taking the derivative twice, right? Which means the answer is 2?

8. Sep 15, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, [itex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}f(x)[/itex] is just another way of writing [itex]f''(x)[/itex].

9. Sep 15, 2009 #8

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Sep 15, 2009 #9
    This can't be right. The integral is between -a and a, and this would set <p^2> to 0. But <p> is 0, and that would make the variance 0, which would violate the uncertainty principle.

11. Sep 15, 2009 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No,

[tex]\langle p^2\rangle=2\hbar^2A^2\int_{-a}^{a} (a^2-x^2)dx\neq 0[/tex]

12. Sep 15, 2009 #11
    No, it's not. I got the right answer. Thanks for all your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook