1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation values and trace math

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I get the expectation value of operator [itex]\sigma[/itex] using density matrix [itex]\rho[/itex] in a trace: [itex]Tr\left(\sigma\rho\right)[/itex]

I have [itex]\sigma[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] in matrix form but how do I get a number out of the trace?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure I follow your question. Do you know what it means to take the trace of a matrix?

4. Oct 27, 2007 #3
    I do if it involves just a bra and ket

i.e. [tex]Tr\left(|a><b|\right) = <b|a>[/tex]

I've been shown [itex]<\Lambda> = Tr\left(\Lambda\rho\right)[/itex]

But I have rho and lambda in matrix form and not as a product of bra's and ket's

5. Oct 27, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The trace is additive, so

[tex]
    \mathrm{Tr}\left( \sum_i | a_i \rangle \langle b_i| \right) = \sum_i \mathrm{Tr}\left( | a_i \rangle \langle b_i| \right)
    [/tex]

If you have a matrix, this greatly simplifies. It's just the sum of the diagonal entries.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  6. Oct 27, 2007 #5
    Ahh I remember that now.

So I just take the matrix product [itex]\Lambda\rho[/itex] and then sum the diagonal entries to compute the trace?

7. Oct 27, 2007 #6
    I got the correct answer. Thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?