Unlocking the Science Behind Matchbox Experiments: A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter Oomph!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation is about a physics experiment involving matches and a match box. The experiment demonstrates that when lit, the matches will fuse together and the angled match will bend upwards. This is caused by two effects: the heads of the matches fusing together and the angled match burning at different rates on its upper and lower edges. The conversation then delves into a discussion about the molecular physics behind this phenomenon, with the conclusion being that heating breaks the molecular matrix and allows it to form new, causing the materials to fuse.
Oomph!
Hello.
I saw this experiment:
You need only matches and match box. I tried it and I it works. However, I want understand it in physics view. Please, is there anyone who can give me explanation how it works?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Oomph,

There's two things going on: the heads fuse together when lit, and the angled match is burning unequally fast on its upper and lower edges. The first effect makes the matches stick, and the second makes the angled one bend upwards.

You can observe that many materials have a tendency to fuse when heated or set on fire. Plastic is a good example, and some artificial textiles are infamous for fusing with burnt skin(which is why not every material is equally good for using as a blanket to put out flames).

The second effect can be also observed with single matches - they'll tend to bend upwards when held horizontally, and stay more or less straight if held vertically. The horizontal(or inclined) match has got higher temperature on its upper edge due to the flames going upward, so it burns more vigorously there. A burnt material tends to contract, and so the match contracts more on one edge than on the other.

The "levitation" in the video title is of course nothing of the sort. It's just a match glued to another sticking out at an angle.

Thank you very much!
However, why does the materials have tendency to fuse when heated from the view of molecular physic? Higher temperature - higher displacement of particles - larger effects of forces? Or why?

And I don't understand why does the horizontal match has got higher temperature on its upper edge. Normal verticall match has same temperature on upper and bottom edge? Why? How does the temperature relate to bend the horizontal match?

Oomph! said:
And I don't understand why does the horizontal match has got higher temperature on its upper edge. Normal verticall match has same temperature on upper and bottom edge? Why? How does the temperature relate to bend the horizontal match?

You misunderstand. Vertical matches do not have the same temperature on upper and lower parts, they have equal temperature all the way around so no one area changes shape slower/faster than another.

Oomph! said:
And I don't understand why does the horizontal match has got higher temperature on its upper edge.
The simple answer is: Hot gases are lighter and go up.

Oomph! said:
How does the temperature relate to bend the horizontal match?
http://research.cs.tamu.edu/keyser/graphics/people/melek_Z_files/sig06_poster.pdf
Wood and paper are both fibrous materials. Heating of a fibrous material causes water to be driven out of the matrix and the fiber to contract. The ends of the heated fibers are thus drawn together. As a match burns, the region around the flam e gets hot, but a heat differential occurs due to the shape of the flame. The top of the match gets hotter than the bottom , and thus the top part contracts m ore than the bottom . For small pieces of wood (like matches), this contraction is enough to cause an upwards bend.

OK, thank you. Now I understand. However, still I have the question - why does the materials have tendency to fuse when heated from the view of molecular physic?

Oomph! said:
However, still I have the question - why does the materials have tendency to fuse when heated from the view of molecular physic?
Heating breaks the molecular matrix and allows it to form new.

1. What are matchbox experiments?

Matchbox experiments are small-scale scientific experiments that use matchboxes as a tool to study various concepts in science. These experiments involve simple materials and can be easily conducted at home or in a classroom setting.

2. What can you learn from matchbox experiments?

Matchbox experiments can teach you about various scientific principles and concepts, such as chemical reactions, energy transfer, and forces. They can also help you develop important skills like problem-solving, critical thinking, and the scientific method.

3. How do I conduct a matchbox experiment?

To conduct a matchbox experiment, you will need a matchbox, some basic materials, and a clear understanding of the steps involved. First, choose a specific concept or principle you want to explore. Then, follow the instructions carefully and record your observations and results.

4. Are matchbox experiments safe?

Matchbox experiments can be safe if conducted properly and under adult supervision. It is important to always follow the instructions and handle materials with care, especially when dealing with fire or chemicals. If in doubt, it is best to seek guidance from a science teacher or adult.

5. Can matchbox experiments be used for science fair projects?

Yes, matchbox experiments can make great science fair projects. They are simple, cost-effective, and can be tailored to various age groups and grade levels. You can also choose to conduct more advanced matchbox experiments to challenge yourself and stand out in the science fair.