Experimental physics i am very frustrated -- convert galvanometer into an ammeter

Mike and Jim. In summary, converting a galvanometer into an ammeter involves finding the galvanometer resistance and shunt values, cutting a wire according to that thickness, and connecting the components in the circuit. However, it is important to keep in mind that the shunt wire will never be exact and a variable resistor can be helpful in adjusting the reading. Additionally, placing the meter at the far ends of the shunt can lead to errors, so it is recommended to attach the meter a little ways in from one connection and adjust the other meter lead to get the correct reading. The millivolts across the shunt itself should be measured, not the millivolts across the shunt and connectors
ajaykrishna90
I am trying to convert galvanometer into an ammeter. But after finding Galvanometer resistance and shunt values, and cut a wire according to that thickness and connected. But still, the galavanometer reading is not similar to that of the standard ammeter reading connected in the circuit. Any one can help me please? In detail.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ajaykrishna90 said:
Galvanometer resistance
And, what is that resistance?
ajaykrishna90 said:
cut a wire according to that thickness
What wire? What resistance?
ajaykrishna90 said:
not similar to that of the standard ammeter
What current are you trying to measure?

Likes berkeman
I've found that placing a variable resistance on the order of 1/4 - 1/2 the coil resistance is useful as you can never quite get the shunt wire correct and the resistor will allow you an added adjustment.
Don't obsess over exact calculations as neither the meter resistance nor shunt will be exact.
Also, don't attach the meter at the far ends of the shunt because the resistance of the connections will contribute error. Rather, attach the meter to the shunt a little ways in from one connection. Then, move the other meter lead along the length to get the correct reading while a test current flows.
- Reference Kelvin Connection.

Hope this helps a bit.

- Mike

Mike bro thanks a lot. Its great. Got some new tips. I will try. Thanks again.

Mike_In_Plano said:
Also, don't attach the meter at the far ends of the shunt because the resistance of the connections will contribute error.

Mike pointed out the most common beginner's mistake.
Think about it - you're using the galvanometer as a voltmeter to read the milivolts across your shunt, which is probably only milli-ohms.
Here's a picture from a Kelvin link as Mike suggested
00480.png

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_8/9.html
You need the millivolts across the shunt itself,
NOT the millivolts across the shunt PLUS millivolts across the connectors.
I used to cut my shunt wire a little long so there's room for the current connections outside my meter connections.

old jim

Thanks a lot

1. What is a galvanometer and how does it work?

A galvanometer is a device used to detect and measure small electric currents. It works by using a coil of wire suspended in a magnetic field. When an electric current passes through the coil, it experiences a force which causes it to move. This movement can be measured and used to determine the strength and direction of the current.

2. Why would someone want to convert a galvanometer into an ammeter?

A galvanometer is typically used for measuring small currents, while an ammeter is used for measuring larger currents. By converting a galvanometer into an ammeter, it can be used to measure a wider range of currents, making it a more versatile device for experimental physics.

3. What is the process for converting a galvanometer into an ammeter?

The process for converting a galvanometer into an ammeter involves adding a shunt resistor in parallel with the galvanometer. This allows only a portion of the current to pass through the galvanometer, while the majority of the current is diverted through the shunt resistor. By carefully choosing the resistance of the shunt, the galvanometer can be calibrated to measure larger currents.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a shunt resistor for a galvanometer?

When selecting a shunt resistor for a galvanometer, the resistance of the shunt should be carefully chosen to ensure that the majority of the current is diverted through it. The resistance should also be low enough to prevent any significant voltage drop, which could affect the accuracy of the measurement. Additionally, the power rating of the shunt should be considered to ensure it can handle the amount of current passing through it.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to converting a galvanometer into an ammeter?

One potential drawback of converting a galvanometer into an ammeter is that it may decrease the sensitivity of the device. This is because the addition of the shunt resistor can alter the magnetic field and affect the movement of the coil. Additionally, the presence of the shunt resistor can introduce errors in the measurement due to its resistance and potential for heat dissipation. Careful calibration and selection of components can help minimize these drawbacks.