Explaining the Riemann Hypothesis and Other Famous Math Problems

• Thread starter greghouse
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of proofs for Fermat's Last Theorem and the Poincaré Conjecture on the web, as well as difficulties with understanding the Riemann Hypothesis and the concept of analytic continuation. The conversation also mentions the availability of research papers on the arXiv website. The concept of analytic continuation is explained with examples.
greghouse
Hi, I was just wondering if there is available the proof of fermats last theorem on the web, as well as the proof for the poincare conjecture.

I was looking over the Riemann hypothesis and I'm having some difficulties... It's claimed that the functions have trivial zeroes at the even negative integers... but when I put -2 as s in the sum equation I get 1+3+9 ... etc. Someone has explained on previous threads about RH that another formula is to be used... but can someone explain exactly why? (I understand the problem of the hypothesis pretty well but just not the equation...)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You really want to see the proof? I believe there is a link as the last reference of the article[/url].

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiles's work appears in The Annals, and hence is freely available via arXiv. Perelman's work has only ever appear on the arXiv and is thus also freely available.

Thanx!

I didn't notice the second part of your post. If you're struggling with that, then I don't think you'll get much out of research papers.

The thing you're confused about is analytic continuation. The series you're using for the Riemann zeta function is only defined for a restricted set of the complex plane. But there are ways to analytically continue it away from this restricted set. I.e. there exists a (unique) meromorphic (allowing poles) function defined on C which agrees the the series expansion you know where the series expansion is defined.

A simpler example, is to consider a function we know exists for all of the complex plane (allowing for poles).

E.g. Take 1/(1-z), we can take a series expansion about zero:

1+z+z^2+z^3+z^4+...

This series will only converge for |z|<1, because of that pole at z=1.

Now, suppose that we were just given that series without the nice 1/(1-z) interpretation for it. We can analytically continue it to a function on the entire complex plane (with a pole at 1), using some complex analysis. Ok, in this case we have the 'cheat' of being able to notice that it has a nice closed expression like 1/(1-z), but not all series give a nice elementary function like that.

Not every function can be continued beyond its radius of convergence: eg.

[tex]\sum z^{n!}[/tex]

which has a pole at every complex number on the unit circle whose argument is a rational multiple of pi.

The rough notion for analytic continuation is that we patch together little overlapping discs where we extend the function piece by piece. That counter example can't be extended cos any little patch extending the unit circle will overlap with one of those poles.

1. What are "The great math problems"?

"The great math problems" refer to a collection of unsolved or yet-to-be-solved mathematical puzzles and questions that have challenged mathematicians for centuries. These problems often involve complex equations, patterns, and concepts that require advanced mathematical skills to solve.

2. How many "great math problems" are there?

There is no exact number of "great math problems" as it is a subjective term. However, there are several well-known problems that are commonly referred to as the greatest, such as the Riemann Hypothesis, Poincaré Conjecture, and Fermat's Last Theorem.

3. Why are these problems considered important?

These problems are considered important because they have a significant impact on various fields of mathematics and science. Solving these problems often leads to breakthroughs in our understanding of fundamental mathematical concepts and can have practical applications in areas such as cryptography and computer science.

4. Have any of "the great math problems" been solved?

Yes, some of the "great math problems" have been solved, while others remain unsolved. For example, the famous Pythagorean Theorem was considered a great math problem until it was solved in ancient times. On the other hand, the Riemann Hypothesis, one of the most challenging problems in mathematics, is yet to be solved.

5. Can anyone solve these problems?

Yes, anyone with advanced mathematical skills and knowledge can attempt to solve these problems. However, solving these problems often requires expertise in specific mathematical fields and can take years or even decades to solve. Many mathematicians around the world continue to work on these problems, and new approaches and solutions are constantly being discovered.