Explaining Voltage/Current/Resistance to non-physicists

• Thread starter vortmax
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of teaching fundamental concepts of voltage, current and resistance in an E&M lab course. The most effective analogy is often using water and pumps to explain these concepts. Another suggestion is to use the Drude model to explain the dissipation of potential energy and how it relates to resistance, current and voltage drop.
vortmax
I'm a TA for a sophmore level E&M lab course that is taught independent of the lecture. So most of my students are seeing these concepts for the first time in the lab setting (learning through discovery).

Many of them are having problems visualizing the concepts of the voltage, current and resistance. However, most of them have had mechanics, so they understand the concepts of potential energy and work.

I understand the fundamentals of E&M, but I'm having a hard time describing it in ways that the students can grasp and internalize. I've managed to make some promising headway by making the parallel between electrical potential and gravitational potential and relating that back to voltage, but am not sure how (or if it's worthwhile) extending that metaphor further.

So, can anyone have a solid, basic description of voltage, current and resistance that would make sense to someone who has had basic mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most useful (and common) analogy is that of water. Batteries and other voltage sources are pumps. Voltage is water pressure. Current is the flow of water. Resistance is a restriction in a pipe, or a sponge shoved into the pipe.

- Warren

I agree with chroot, the water analogy is usually the most accessible. For a more physically correct description, familiarize yourself with the Drude model and you could use that to explain the dissipation of potential energy throughout the circuit and thus explain resistance, current and voltage drop.

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge in a circuit. It is often described as the force or pressure that pushes electric charges to move through a conductor.

2. What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is often compared to the flow of water through a pipe.

3. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is affected by factors such as the material, length, and cross-sectional area of a conductor.

4. How are voltage, current, and resistance related?

These three concepts are related through Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases, and as resistance increases, current decreases.

5. Why do we need to understand voltage, current, and resistance?

Understanding these concepts is crucial in determining how electricity behaves in a circuit. It allows us to design and troubleshoot circuits, as well as make informed decisions about safety and energy efficiency. These concepts also play a role in various everyday applications such as household appliances, electronic devices, and power grids.