Explanation of the mechanics of a rack and pinion system?

In summary: I think that analyzing the system visually will be a better way for me to understand it.In summary, the student is designing a spring-powered system to help a hand-driven wagon move more quickly. The system involves a gear and a spring, and the student is seeking help to calculate the relationship between the downward movement of the rack and the torque of the pinion.
shannonxtreme
Hello everybody, I'm a final year student in mechanical engineering. For my final year project, I'm designing a spring system to store energy when stopping a hand wagon and use this to boost the wagon when starting. This involves a pinion attached to the axle of rotation for the wheels, and a rack connected to the spring such that the rack drives the pinion which in turn moves the wheels.
In my calculations, I need to know what the relationship between the downwards movement of the rack and the torque of the pinion is. For example, assuming I need the wagon to accelerate at "a" metres per second, with a load of M, I will need a thrust of F, obviously. To provide this thrust, I know the wheels have to turn at a certain angular velocity, but I do not know how to calculate this, nor do I know how to relate the necessary torque to this velocity or to the downwards force required by the rack.
Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello there!

I am a high school student. Obviously, I don't know much about physics, other than F=MA, L=Iω, so unfortunately, I can't help you with the equations.

However, fortunately I remembered and I thought I'd share some good program with you; my favorite. It is called Algodoo, from Algoryx Incs. It is totally free physics simulator for anyone with a personal computer. Here's the link>http://www.algodoo.com/download/

Although it is in 2D, this physics simulator is really fun to play around and do your research at the same time. Easy to learn. Plotting of data is available. Exact measures can vary with simulation frequency and so on.

Thus, I made a special scene for you. I don't know if it fits your description, but I tried. It took me about a good 2 hours though. You can use that created mechanism to use it in your wagon with your own design.
Here's a link to my creation for you> http://goo.gl/F6Mzyn
Remember, to open the file, you will need Algodoo.Good luck mate! Hope this helped!

P.S: P.M me if you need help.

Last edited:
Hello, going in other direction, I'll try to find the equations.
K spring constant
δ length of compression
R radius wheel of train
r primitive radius of the gear
x train displacement .Origin end of the spring without tension.
y rack displacement "
M train mass
Ms spring mass
Mr rack mass
I inertial moment of the wheel with respect to the instantaneous center.
v final train speed
H height of the train mass center

In order to know what can do the spring, you can apply the energy equation:

K.δ2/2=Mv2/2

neglecting the wheel mass and the spring and rack mass
If you see this will be O.K. you can solve the four following equations :

w.r=[dot]y[/dot]-[dot]x[/dot]
w.R=[dot]x[/dot]
-F=(Ms/2+Mr).[ddot]y[/ddot]
F.(r+R)=I.[ddot]x[/ddot]/R+M.[ddot]x[/ddot]

Sorry; I think that something is wrong with LATEX, when I mean with [dot]x[/dot] is the first derivative of x.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 683
When felmon38 speaks of the "primitive radius of the gear" I think he is referring to what is more commonly known as the Pitch Radius of the gear.

Before saying much more, I'd really like to seek a sketch of the system you want to analyze.

1. How does a rack and pinion system work?

A rack and pinion system is a type of mechanical linear actuator that converts rotational motion into linear motion. It consists of a rack, which is a flat, toothed bar, and a pinion, which is a small gear. When the pinion rotates, it meshes with the rack and translates the rotational motion into linear motion, moving the rack back and forth.

2. What are the main components of a rack and pinion system?

The main components of a rack and pinion system include the rack, pinion, bearings, and housing. The rack is typically a straight bar with teeth on one side, while the pinion is a small gear that meshes with the rack. Bearings are used to support and guide the rack and pinion, and the housing provides a protective cover for the internal components.

3. What are the advantages of using a rack and pinion system?

Rack and pinion systems have several advantages over other types of linear actuators. They are compact, efficient, and can provide high precision and accuracy. They also have a high load-carrying capacity and can operate at high speeds. Additionally, they have a simple design and are relatively easy to maintain.

4. What are the common applications of rack and pinion systems?

Rack and pinion systems are used in a variety of applications where linear motion is required. They are commonly found in steering systems of vehicles, such as cars and trucks. They are also used in industrial machinery, such as CNC machines, robotics, and packaging equipment. Other applications include elevators, sliding doors, and medical equipment.

5. What maintenance is required for a rack and pinion system?

To ensure the proper functioning of a rack and pinion system, regular maintenance is recommended. This includes checking for wear and tear on the teeth of the rack and pinion, as well as lubricating the gears and bearings. It is also important to keep the system clean and free of debris. If any issues are noticed, it is best to address them promptly to prevent further damage to the system.