Exploding Projectile Problem: Finding Velocities and Mass Ratios

• Thread starter Noob.com
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, a projectile is fired at a 45 degree angle with an initial kinetic energy of Eo. At the top of its trajectory, it explodes and adds additional energy Eo, causing it to break into two fragments. The first fragment, m1, goes straight down, while the direction of the second fragment, m2, is unknown. Using the equations of conservation of momentum and center of mass, the velocity and direction of m2 can be solved for. However, there are three unknowns and only two equations, so more information is needed. Additionally, the concept of a parabolic path can be used to solve for the direction of m2, but further clarification is needed on how to apply it.
Noob.com
Fire at angle 45 degree.
Initial kinetic energy = Eo
At top of projectile explode with addtional energy Eo into 2 fragment.
1. Mass = m1, go straight down.
2. Mass = m2, direction: unknown.

Question:
1. Velocity (mag and dir) of m2
2. Velocity of m1
3. What's ratio m1/m2 when m1 is maximun?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum:
mo x vo = m1 x v1 + m2 x v2
Eo = 1/2 mo x vo^2
mo = m1 + m2
Center of Mass:
No clue

The Attempt at a Solution

How can I use center of mass correctly to get the direction of m2? I can set up the conservation of momentum formula but I need the second formula to solve for the 2 velocity!

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass of the system will continue in an undisturbed parabolic path. Evaluate magnitude and direction of m2 such that the center of mass of m1 and m2 follows the undisturbed parabolic path.

Can you give me more detail on how this parabolic path can be done? I have worked out the conservation of momentum but couldn't find a way to get the direction of m2.

Before the explode:

Eo = 1/2 (m1 + m2) (vo)^2
=> (vo)^2 = 2 Eo / (m1 + m2)

vy = 0
vx = vo * cos(45) = [tex]\sqrt{}Eo / (m1 + m2)[/tex]

After the explode:

x-dir:
(m1 + m2) * vx = m2 * vx2
vx2: Velocity of m2 in x direction.
vx2 = v2 * cos (theta)

y-dir:
m1 * v1 = m2 * vy2
vy2 = v2 * sin (theta)

I have worked out this much but there are 3 unknowns and 2 equations. Can you help me out from here?
By the way, I couldn't understand what is the additional Eo right after the explode. Thanks!

Related to Exploding Projectile Problem: Finding Velocities and Mass Ratios

1. What is the exploding projectile problem?

The exploding projectile problem refers to the scenario where a projectile, such as a missile or bullet, explodes upon impact or during flight, causing damage and potential harm to people and property.

2. What causes a projectile to explode?

There are several factors that can cause a projectile to explode, including the type of explosive material used, the design and construction of the projectile, and the impact force upon impact. In some cases, defects in the manufacturing process or mishandling of the projectile can also lead to explosions.

3. What are the potential dangers of an exploding projectile?

An exploding projectile can cause significant damage to its intended target, as well as potential harm to bystanders and surrounding structures. The explosion can also release shrapnel, which can cause injuries or fatalities.

4. How can the exploding projectile problem be prevented?

To prevent the exploding projectile problem, thorough testing and quality control measures must be implemented during the manufacturing process. Additionally, proper handling and storage of projectiles must be followed to minimize the risk of explosions.

5. What role do scientists play in addressing the exploding projectile problem?

Scientists play a crucial role in researching and developing materials and technologies that can improve the safety and reliability of projectiles. They also conduct studies and experiments to better understand the causes of projectile explosions and how to prevent them.