Exploring Buoyancy: How Ball Moves in Water, Oil and Moon Gravity

In summary, when a ball floating 50% in water has a large amount of oil added, it will rise due to the increased force exerted by the denser oil on top of the ball. If something denser than water is added, the ball will remain at the same level because the denser substance will sink to the bottom. On the moon with reduced gravity and no atmosphere, the ball will sink further due to the decreased buoyant force on the ball. However, if the density of the ball and the fluid remain the same, the ball will stay at the same level regardless of changes in gravity or atmosphere.
Joe55433454

Homework Statement

1a)How does a ball floating 50% in water move when a LARGE amount of oil is added?

1b) if something denser than water were added, how would the ball move?

1c) if the exp. was done on the moon with different gravity and no atmosphere, how would the ball move?

Homework Equations

Fb= PA
Fb=gpV[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1a, I believe that the ball would rise because the water would have to exert a greater force when the oil is on top on the ball, since the oil weighs heavier with air.
For question 1b, I think that the ball would remain at the same level because the denser substance would just sink to the bottom.
For question 1c, I said that the ball would sink because there is less of a buoyant force on the moon.[/B]

Can anyone tell me if my answers are correct? I'm not sure if I'm thinking of buoyancy in the wrong sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Joe:

Based on the reasoning in tour answers, I think you have forgotten an important concept.

When the ball floats on a fluid, like water or oil, what is the relationship between
a. the mass of the ball,
b: the mass of the fluid which the ball has displaced, that is the mass of the fluid that would fill the volume of the ball that which is below the level of the fluid?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

@Buzz Bloom

Wait, why would the mass of the ball change? Because the fluid isn't being inserted inside of the ball.

Hi Joe:

I apologize for not being clearer. I was not assuming the mass of the ball changed. I assume that the volume of the ball below the surface plane of the fluid changes if the density of the fluid changes.

Regards,
Buzz

Joe55433454 said:
when the oil is on top on the ball,
Is the ball more or less dense than the oil? (You have enough information to answer that.)
Joe55433454 said:
1b, I think that the ball would remain at the same level
Relative to the ground or relative to the water?
Joe55433454 said:
question 1c, I said that the ball would sink because there is less of a buoyant force on the moon
But is the weight of the ball the same?
Also, it is not clear whether c is in respect of doing a or b on the moon. Likely it is both, so might require two answers.

I interpret part c differently -- as asking what happens if we take the original ball in the original water, remove the atmosphere and drop gravity by a factor of six.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object when it is placed in a fluid (such as water or oil). This force is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with the pressure being greater on the bottom, pushing the object up.

2. How does an object's shape affect its buoyancy?

An object's shape plays a significant role in its buoyancy. Objects that are more dense than the fluid they are placed in will sink, while objects that are less dense will float. The shape of the object determines how much of it is submerged in the fluid, and therefore affects the overall buoyancy force.

3. What is the relationship between an object's density and its buoyancy?

An object's density is directly related to its buoyancy. The denser an object is, the more it will weigh and the more it will sink in a fluid. This is because the object will displace more fluid, creating a greater upward force of buoyancy.

4. How does gravity affect buoyancy?

Gravity plays a major role in buoyancy. The force of gravity determines how much an object weighs, and therefore affects its ability to float or sink in a fluid. In situations such as on the Moon, where gravity is weaker than on Earth, objects will experience less weight and therefore have less buoyancy.

5. How does the density of a fluid affect buoyancy?

The density of a fluid has a direct impact on buoyancy. Objects will float higher in denser fluids, such as water, because they are able to displace more fluid and therefore experience a greater upward force. In less dense fluids, such as oil, objects will sink lower because they are displacing less fluid and have less buoyancy.