Exploring Career Options After College: A ChemE's Peace Corps Journey

In summary, the speaker is a college freshman who is interested in pursuing a career in chemical engineering with a focus on environmentally friendly production methods. They are considering volunteer work in developing countries, such as through the Peace Corps, and are also interested in becoming fluent in Spanish. They ultimately plan on attending graduate school and are wondering if the Peace Corps would be a beneficial experience for their future career and graduate school applications. They have received mixed opinions from graduate admissions committee members, with some saying it would be helpful and others saying it would be irrelevant. The speaker is open to other service options and has a few years to decide.
Null_
I'm about to enter my freshman year of college, and naturally I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do after college. I'm going into chemical engineering, and I really want to work with environmentally friendly means of production. Ideally I'd like to work with the research aspect of this, designing engines, plants, or the like.

I've been doing a lot of reading on developing countries, and I've decided I want to do some volunteer work. I'll try to do as many "alternative spring breaks" as possible, but I don't know if 1 week x 4 years will be all that I want. I've been looking into the Peace Corps too, and they offer work for volunteers in the environmental sector. They do education, development, and just planting trees too.

I also want to become fluent in Spanish. I've only taken it in school (4 years) and am no where near fluent. I could easily survive in a Spanish-speaking area, but not be able to enjoy a normal conversation.

Ultimately then, I'll probably end up going to grad school. Is the Peace Corps a good thing to do between undergrad and grad school? How would having a chemE degree and doing the peace corps open up job opportunities? (Note that that is no where near the main reason for me wanting to do a service project...just something that I'm going to consider.)

Does anyone here have any experience with the Peace Corps or something similar?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my REU we just got to sit down in front of a panel of 5 graduate admissions committee members. Someone brought up peace corps, and they unanimously said that it wouldn't hurt your grad school application. In fact, they said that it looks good and that you really look committed to what you want to do if you take a leave, like joining the peace corps, and still decide that you want to go back to school after the experience. With this being said, I'd say go for it! From what I've heard its a great experience and something that will be a defining couple of years of your life. Good luck! :)

With respect to graduate school their main interest is in your ability to be successful in the program and thus the most heavily weighted factors tend to be GPA, references, research experience, and publications.

This kind of volunteer work could be relevant if for example you spend a summer developing a water treatment facility in a third would country and then apply to a graduate program where skills learned through that experience would be applicable to the research you want to do.

Otherwise, from a graduate admissions point of view, it will likely be filed under: irrelevant.

Interesting. I definitely want to do some sort of service between undergrad and grad school, I think. I plan on doing research/internships during undergrad too. Perhaps I'll look into other options...a year would be theideal length of time. I suppose I have a few years to figure out exactly what I'll do. :)

I can say that your interest in chemical engineering and environmentally friendly production is commendable. It is important to consider the impact of our actions on the environment and strive towards sustainable solutions.

Your plan to volunteer with developing countries and potentially join the Peace Corps is a great way to gain hands-on experience and make a positive impact. The Peace Corps offers opportunities for volunteers to work in various sectors, including environmental conservation and education. This will not only allow you to apply your knowledge and skills in a real-world setting, but also provide you with a deeper understanding of global environmental issues and cultural perspectives.

In terms of language proficiency, becoming fluent in Spanish will definitely be beneficial in your future career, especially if you plan to work in Spanish-speaking countries. It will also enhance your communication skills and cultural competency.

As for the timing of joining the Peace Corps, it can be a valuable experience between undergraduate and graduate school. It will give you a break from academics and allow you to gain practical experience before pursuing further education. Additionally, the Peace Corps experience can open up job opportunities in various fields, as it shows potential employers that you have a global perspective and are committed to making a positive impact in the world.

I do not have personal experience with the Peace Corps, but I have colleagues and friends who have joined and have had very positive experiences. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of the Peace Corps before making a decision, as it is a significant commitment.

In summary, your interest in environmentally friendly production and desire to volunteer with developing countries are admirable. The Peace Corps can provide a valuable opportunity to gain hands-on experience and make a positive impact, while also potentially opening up future job opportunities. I wish you the best of luck in your academic and career journey.

Related to Exploring Career Options After College: A ChemE's Peace Corps Journey

1. What inspired you to join the Peace Corps after studying chemical engineering in college?

After completing my degree in chemical engineering, I was drawn to the idea of using my skills and knowledge to make a positive impact in developing countries. I also wanted to gain a deeper understanding of different cultures and the challenges they face in accessing basic resources such as clean water and sanitation. The Peace Corps offered a unique opportunity to combine my passion for engineering with my desire to serve others.

2. How did your background in chemical engineering prepare you for your role in the Peace Corps?

Studying chemical engineering gave me a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills that were applicable to my work in the Peace Corps. Additionally, my coursework in chemistry, math, and physics helped me understand the science behind water and sanitation systems, which was crucial in my projects in the Peace Corps.

3. What were some of the challenges you faced while working on water and sanitation projects in the Peace Corps?

One of the main challenges was adapting to the local culture and customs and gaining the trust of the community. This required patience, flexibility, and open-mindedness. Another challenge was working with limited resources and finding creative solutions to problems. The language barrier was also a significant obstacle, but I was able to learn the local language and communicate effectively with the community.

4. How has your experience in the Peace Corps shaped your career path as a chemist?

My experience in the Peace Corps has greatly influenced my career path as a chemist. It taught me the importance of using my knowledge and skills for the betterment of society and gave me a global perspective on the challenges facing developing countries. It also strengthened my problem-solving and communication skills, which are essential in any scientific field.

5. What advice do you have for students considering a similar path in the Peace Corps after graduating with a degree in chemical engineering?

My advice would be to do your research and fully understand the commitment and challenges that come with serving in the Peace Corps. It's important to have a genuine passion for service and a willingness to adapt to different cultures and living conditions. Also, be open to learning and gaining new skills, as you may be working outside of your comfort zone. Most importantly, remember that your work in the Peace Corps can have a meaningful and lasting impact on both the community you serve and your personal and professional growth.