Exploring Diffusion in a Three-Dimensional Cone: A Mathematical Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a three dimensional cone with a substance diffusing from top to bottom with a given diffusion constant. The equations for the problem are derived, but there are some uncertainties regarding initial and boundary conditions. The included angle of the cone is not small enough for simplification. The validity of using a symmetry assumption is questioned and cylindrical coordinates are suggested as an alternative. The solution is attempted using eigenvalue equations and a solution similar to that of a quantum particle in an infinite well. However, it is found that the eigenvalues and the resulting solution are negative, leading to an exponential decay instead of an exponential rise as expected. The solution is suggested to be a linear combination of the steady state solution and the solution to a transient diffusion
VVS
Hi everyone!

Homework Statement

We're given a three dimensional cone with perimeters d0 at the top and d1 at the bottom and a substance that diffuses through the cone with diffusion constant D from top to bottom. The concentration of the substance is held constant at the top plane of the cone. The z axis is chosen to go through the center of the cone from top to bottom.

Homework Equations

I have already done some math.
We start with the Diffusion Equation

[itex]\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial t}=D ( \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}+\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial y^{2}}+\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial z^{2}})\varphi(x,y,z,t)[/itex]

Because of the symmetry of the cone

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}\varphi(x,y,z,t)}{\partial x^{2}}=\frac{\partial^{2}\varphi(x,y,z,t)}{\partial y^{2}}[/itex]

So the PDE reduces to

[itex]\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial t}=D ( \frac{2\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}+\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial z^{2}})\varphi(x,y,z,t)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now one can use separation of variables:

[itex]\varphi(x,y,z,t)=\alpha(x)\beta(z)\gamma(t)[/itex]

So the PDE becomes:

[itex]\frac{1}{\gamma(t)}\frac{\partial \gamma}{\partial t}=D(\frac{1}{\alpha(x)}\frac{2\partial^{2}\alpha(x)}{\partial x^{2}}+\frac{1}{\beta(z)}\frac{\partial^{2}\beta(z)}{\partial z^{2}})[/itex]

Now all three terms must be constants. So:

[itex]\frac{\partial \gamma(t)}{\partial t}=\lambda \gamma(t)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2} \alpha(x)}{\partial x^2}=\lambda_{x} \alpha(x)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2} \beta(z)}{\partial z^2}=\lambda_{z} \beta(z)[/itex]

And

[itex] \lambda=2\lambda_{x}+\lambda_{z}[/itex]

The time-dependant eigenvalue equation is easy to solve.
But I am not sure how to solve the second and third equation.
I tried to solve the second equation by using

[itex]\alpha(x)=A exp(-kx)+B exp(kx) [/itex]

and by applying boundary conditions:

[itex] \alpha(x=-r)=\alpha(x=r)=0 [/itex]

But then I get A=-B=0

Somebody please help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is not completely specified. What is the initial condition, and what is the boundary condition at the bottom of the cone? What is the included angle of the cone (is it small, so that the cone has a very gradual taper?)? A small included angle would permit great simplification to the problem.

Likes 1 person
Hi Chestermiller,

Thank you for your reply. Yeah you are right it is not completely specified.

The initial conditions are:

[itex]\varphi(-r(z)<x<r(z),-r(z)<y<r(z),z>0,t=0)=0[/itex]

[itex]\varphi(-r(z)<x<r(z),-r(z)<y<r(z),z=0,t=0)=C_{0}[/itex]

And at the bottom of the Cone

[itex]\varphi(-r(z)<x<r(z),-r(z)<y<r(z),z=H,t)=0[/itex]

The angle is not small enough for a simplification.

I assume there is no diffusion through the side walls of the cone as well. Also, just out of curiosity, what is the included angle of the cone?

VVS said:
Because of the symmetry of the cone

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}\varphi(x,y,z,t)}{\partial x^{2}}=\frac{\partial^{2}\varphi(x,y,z,t)}{\partial y^{2}}[/itex]
That doesn't look valid to me. At the point (x, y, z), x≠y, the two second derivatives will take different values.
Try using cylindrical coordinates instead.

Likes 1 person
Hi Chestermiller and Haruspex!

Thank you for your help so far.
I have done some math. I figured that the solution to the eigenvalue equations could not be solved with exponentials so I thought of a different solution with a cosine and sine function like the solution to a quantum particle in an infinite well. You can see the solution in the pdf file. View attachment Cone_cell_2.pdf

But now I get a different problem. The eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_{x} \lambda_{y} \lambda_{z}[/itex] are negative so λ is negative too. Which means that you get an exponential decay.
But shouldn't it be an exponential rise, because the source of the substance at the top of the cone is constant?

thank you
VVS

VVS said:
Hi Chestermiller and Haruspex!

Thank you for your help so far.
I have done some math. I figured that the solution to the eigenvalue equations could not be solved with exponentials so I thought of a different solution with a cosine and sine function like the solution to a quantum particle in an infinite well. You can see the solution in the pdf file. View attachment 61132

But now I get a different problem. The eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_{x} \lambda_{y} \lambda_{z}[/itex] are negative so λ is negative too. Which means that you get an exponential decay.
But shouldn't it be an exponential rise, because the source of the substance at the top of the cone is constant?

thank you
VVS
You get exponential decay when the concentration is non-zero initially, and the values at the boundaries are zero. To achieve this situation, you can represent the solution to your problem as the linear superposition of the solution to two other problems:

Problem 1: The steady state concentration distribution for your problem (i.e. the solution at long times) which satisfies Laplace's equation
Problem 2: The transient diffusion problem in which the initial condition is the solution to problem 1, and the boundary conditions are zero concentrations on the top and bottom.

The solution to your problem is the solution to problem 1 minus the solution to problem 2. The solution to problem 2 involves exponential decay terms, so that only the solution to problem 1 is left at long times.

Chet

What is diffusion in a cone?

Diffusion in a cone refers to the process of molecules or particles moving from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration within a conical shape or object.

How does diffusion occur in a cone?

Diffusion in a cone occurs through random molecular motion. Molecules or particles in an area of high concentration bounce and collide with each other, eventually spreading out to areas of lower concentration.

What factors affect diffusion in a cone?

The rate of diffusion in a cone can be affected by various factors such as the size of the cone, the concentration gradient, temperature, and the type of molecules or particles involved. A larger cone will have a larger surface area for diffusion, while a steeper concentration gradient will result in faster diffusion.

How is diffusion in a cone measured?

Diffusion in a cone can be measured using various techniques such as spectrophotometry, which measures the change in light absorbance due to diffusion, or using specialized equipment such as a diffusion cell.

What are the practical applications of studying diffusion in a cone?

Understanding diffusion in a cone has various practical applications such as predicting the movement of substances in a conical container, designing efficient filtration systems, and developing drug delivery systems that utilize diffusion to release medication in a controlled manner.