Exploring Engineering Education: UK University Rankings

In summary, a conversation was had with a professor who completed his MSc and PhD in a UK university about 7 years ago, and his insights on the value of different universities for engineering degrees were surprising. He stated that, except for Oxford and Cambridge, where you obtain your MSc does not matter to employers. Instead, the two most important factors are the amount you pay for your degree and the prestige of the university. However, the difference in workload and difficulty between top and bottom ranked universities is significant, with top tier schools requiring constant study and a high level of mathematical proficiency. On the other hand, lower tier schools are more flexible and have a higher chance of success. The conversation also touched on the impact of MSc degrees on
mynick
Recently, i had conversation with a professor who completed his Msc and Phd in a UK university about 7 years ago ( i think it was Central Lancashire,i'm 95% sure, if my memory is right) and i am surprised by his words.All below are about engineering field.

According to him, it does not matter where you get your MSc, all employers will treat all masters the same except from Oxford and Cambridge,only these two will make you stand out.Thus,for the rest of the Universities the following 2 things: ''what you pay is what you get '' and ''prestige'' are non existent!

Even if you attend one of the very bottom listed Uni. in UK ranks you are not doomed,they all seem to have very good quality masters programs.They big difference between top and bottom ranked UK Universities is the workload and difficulty.As he told me,all the top tiered schools demand from you to deal with super heavy homework,study non stop 24/7,tight deadlines and be super good in mathematics.As a result,it is more likely to fail,drop out,walk away in debt and with empty hands,no degree.Lower tier shcools are more flexible,less rigorous and demand less mathematics and success is more probable.

What are your thoughts,opinions??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well firstly the HR people that read application forms and CVs don't tend to know what the good and not so good engineering universities are, so your professor is right.

Secondly it depends a lot on the job. A lot of engineering jobs don't really use much if any maths, so a qualification that is largely based on the application of advanced maths won't add much to your application to these types of jobs.

There is certainly no doubt that many MSc degrees are merely money-spinners for the university: most know that the primary purchasers of MSc degrees are foreign students who are mainly buying into the brand name of the university so they can take it home with the and woo everyone, and they charge handsomely for the privilege.

However it doesn't really work like that here in the UK, as your professor says. You cannot buy entry into most jobs via academic qualifications. A lot of people are paying a lot of money for masters degrees that aren't going to benefit them if they want to stay here because they aren't the right type of people that British engineering firms are looking for. The vast majority of interviews I've had have been much more heavily based on my soft skills rather than technical skills.

Related to Exploring Engineering Education: UK University Rankings

1. What are the criteria used to rank UK universities for engineering education?

The criteria used to rank UK universities for engineering education typically include academic reputation, research output, graduate employability, student satisfaction, and student-to-faculty ratio. Other factors such as industry connections, international collaborations, and funding may also be considered.

2. How often are the UK university rankings for engineering education updated?

The UK university rankings for engineering education are typically updated annually, although some rankings may be updated more frequently. It is important to check the date of the ranking to ensure that it is the most recent version.

3. Which UK universities are consistently ranked highly for engineering education?

Some of the UK universities that are consistently ranked highly for engineering education include the University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, University of Oxford, and University of Edinburgh. However, rankings can vary between different sources, so it is important to consider multiple rankings and do further research.

4. How can I use the UK university rankings for engineering education to choose a university?

The UK university rankings for engineering education can be a helpful starting point in your university search. However, it is important to also consider other factors such as location, program offerings, and campus culture. It is also recommended to visit the universities in person and speak with current students and faculty to get a better sense of the overall learning experience.

5. Are the UK university rankings for engineering education the only factor to consider when choosing a university?

No, the UK university rankings for engineering education should not be the only factor to consider when choosing a university. It is important to also consider your personal interests, career goals, and learning style. Other factors such as campus resources, extracurricular opportunities, and cost should also be taken into account.