Exploring Gas Temperature Measurement with Infrared Laser Technology

In summary, Zapper Z is correct that IR thermometers only measure surface temperatures, and that using an IR laser to measure gas temperature would be a dangerous and pointless endeavor.
lonewolf219
I am thinking about a possible experiment, and would like to measure the temperature of gas in various places inside of a glass enclosure. Is it possible to use an infrared laser to this? Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Does the gas you are interested in have different IR wavelength absorption characteristics as a function of temperature, or does it scatter IR light well? Is the mass and composition of the gas known?

lonewolf219 said:
I am thinking about a possible experiment, and would like to measure the temperature of gas in various places inside of a glass enclosure. Is it possible to use an infrared laser to this? Thanks

Not sure what you mean by "infrared laser" or how you think that will give you a measure of the temperature. Could you mean the non-contact IR thermometers that are being sold commercially? If you really, truly mean an IR laser, please be aware of a safety hazard with such a device, especially to your eyes.

You also need to make sure that if you are using such a device that the window of the vessel containing the gas is IR transparent. Otherwise, you measure a nonsensical number.

Zz.

Thanks for the replies, sorry I am a little late here... I am curious about testing hydrogen gas. I was thinking about the infra red non contact thermometers, yes, you are right Zapper Z. But I think those can only be measured on a surface, is that correct? If I used a real IR laser, could it read a certain point and a certain depth inside the glass? I am thinking about a low density gas.

lonewolf219 said:
Thanks for the replies, sorry I am a little late here... I am curious about testing hydrogen gas. I was thinking about the infra red non contact thermometers, yes, you are right Zapper Z. But I think those can only be measured on a surface, is that correct? If I used a real IR laser, could it read a certain point and a certain depth inside the glass? I am thinking about a low density gas.
IR thermometers detect infrared radiation, IR lasers emit infrared radiation.

Hydrogen gas basically neither absorbs nor emits in the infrared part of the spectrum.

Dr. Claude, thank you for posting... !

Related to Exploring Gas Temperature Measurement with Infrared Laser Technology

1. What is infrared laser technology?

Infrared laser technology is a method of measuring temperature using specialized lasers that emit infrared light. These lasers are able to detect and measure the amount of infrared radiation emitted by an object, which is directly related to its temperature.

2. How does infrared laser technology work?

Infrared laser technology works by emitting a beam of infrared light onto the surface of an object. This light is then reflected back to a detector, which measures the intensity of the reflected light. The intensity of the reflected light is directly proportional to the temperature of the object, allowing for accurate temperature measurements.

3. What are the advantages of using infrared laser technology for gas temperature measurement?

There are several advantages to using infrared laser technology for gas temperature measurement. These include non-contact measurement, high accuracy, fast response time, and the ability to measure temperature in hard-to-reach or hazardous environments. Additionally, infrared laser technology does not require physical contact with the gas, making it a safe and convenient method for temperature measurement.

4. Are there any limitations to using infrared laser technology for gas temperature measurement?

While infrared laser technology has many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. One limitation is that the accuracy of the measurement can be affected by factors such as surface emissivity, distance from the object, and the presence of dust or other particles in the air. Additionally, the laser may not be effective for measuring the temperature of certain gases, such as those with low emissivity or those that are transparent to infrared light.

5. What are some common applications of infrared laser technology for gas temperature measurement?

Infrared laser technology is commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, aerospace, and energy production for temperature measurement of gases in various processes. It is also used in research and development for studying gas dynamics and properties, as well as in environmental monitoring for measuring gas emissions. Other applications include medical diagnostics, food processing, and HVAC systems.