Exploring Gravity: The Impact of Varying the GC on Gravitational Phenomena

In summary, The conversation discusses the possibility of duplicating the results of gravitation in General Relativity (GR) using a variable gravity constant in Newtonian gravity. However, it is stated that there is no variation of Newtonian gravity that can reproduce GR, and attempts to do so have been made but have not been successful. Additionally, it is mentioned that the weak field limit of GR closely approximates Newtonian gravity, and Newtonian gravity is considered to be a simplified version of GR. One person asks if this includes varying the density, velocity, and masses, to which the other person responds that they do not have enough knowledge to answer that question.
John15
Hope this is the right forum as I am having a little trouble finding my around the site.
Just a thought and I don't know if it makes sense but could the results on gravitation in GR be duplicated using a variable gravity constant in Newtonian. I was thinking of using something like density to vary the GC.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no variation of Newtonian gravity that reproduces GR. There have been attempts made, like introducing propagation delay, varying G etc.

Newtonian gravity is rather like GR without spatial curvature, where only the time-curvature is operating. The weak field limit of GR approximates Newtonian gravity very closely, so it's more a case of how Newtonian gravity comes from GR rather than the other way around.

Can I assume that includes giving all different density/velocity/masses and the space inbetween differing g constants

John15 said:
Can I assume that includes giving all different density/velocity/masses and the space inbetween differing g constants

I don't have enough knowledge about the topic to answer that, even if I understood it.:wink:

John15 said:
Hope this is the right forum as I am having a little trouble finding my around the site.
Just a thought and I don't know if it makes sense but could the results on gravitation in GR be duplicated using a variable gravity constant in Newtonian. I was thinking of using something like density to vary the GC.
No. That would be a scalar field and AFAIK, the GR field cannot even in principle be represented as a scalar field except in the case of static spacetimes.

Related to Exploring Gravity: The Impact of Varying the GC on Gravitational Phenomena

What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space.

How does the gravitational constant (GC) affect gravity?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a numerical value that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects with mass. It determines the magnitude of the force of gravity between two objects and is crucial in calculating the effects of gravity.

What is the impact of varying the GC on gravitational phenomena?

Varying the GC can have a significant impact on gravitational phenomena. A higher value of G would result in a stronger gravitational force, while a lower value would result in a weaker force. This can affect the motion and behavior of objects in a gravitational field.

How can we explore the impact of varying the GC on gravitational phenomena?

Scientists can explore the impact of varying the GC on gravitational phenomena through mathematical equations and experiments. By adjusting the value of G in these calculations and experiments, they can observe how it affects the behavior of objects in a gravitational field.

Why is understanding the impact of varying the GC on gravitational phenomena important?

Understanding the impact of varying the GC on gravitational phenomena is crucial for many reasons. It helps us understand the behavior of objects in space and on Earth, predict the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and even develop technologies such as space travel.