Exploring Group Properties and Examples: Cyclic, Abelian, and Non-abelian Groups

For the second one you need to give a specific group. sym(3) x Z7 is not a group, it's just a set. You could use A4 x Z3.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

Let G1 and G2 be groups, let G = G1 x G2 and define the binary operation on G by
(a1,a2)(b1,b2):=(a1b1,a2b2)
Prove that this makes G into a group. Prove G is abelian iff G1 and G2 are abelian.

Hence or otherwise give examples of a non-cyclic abelian group of order 8 and a non-abelian group of order 42.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the 1st part of this question and I'm just struggling with the examples. From reading around the subject I think a non-cyclic abelian group of order 8 would be Z2 x Z2 x Z2 where Z2 is the integers modulo 2 under addition. However, I don't really understand this.

Also, I'm unsure how to tackle the non-abelian group of order 42.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right with Z2xZ2xZ2. Why isn't it cyclic? For the other one think of two groups whose order multiplies to 42, and at least one of which isn't abelian.

I'm not sure I fully understand what cyclic actually means. If we have any element in the group, in our case it will look like (a,b,c) where a,b,c are either 0 or 1. When we square it we will get 1, will this be (1,1,1) for us? But this doesn't actually make sense, if we have (1,0,0)(1,0,0) = (1,0,0)? I think I'm very confused.

For the order 42 group, could I use sym(3) x Z7 (Z7 is the integers modulo 7 under addition) and sym(3) is not abelian. Again, I really don't understand why this works, if it does.

When they define the group operation by (a1,a2)(b1,b2):=(a1b1,a2b2) a1b1 doesn't mean multiply, it means combine a1 and b1 according to whatever the group operation is. For Z2 that's addition mod 2. (1,1,1) is not the identity of Z2xZ2xZ2. Does that help?

Related to Exploring Group Properties and Examples: Cyclic, Abelian, and Non-abelian Groups

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a type of mathematical group that can be generated by a single element, called a generator. This means that every element in the group can be expressed as a power of the generator.

2. How is a cyclic group different from other groups?

A cyclic group is different from other groups because it has a specific structure where all elements can be generated by a single element. Other groups may have different structures and may require multiple generators to generate all elements.

3. Can a cyclic group be non-abelian?

Yes, a cyclic group can be non-abelian. A group is considered abelian if its group operation is commutative, meaning that the order in which elements are multiplied does not change the result. In a cyclic group, this is only guaranteed if the group is abelian, but it is not a requirement.

4. How are cyclic groups used in real-world applications?

Cyclic groups have many real-world applications, including in cryptography, coding theory, and physics. In cryptography, cyclic groups are used to generate keys for secure communication. In coding theory, cyclic groups are used to create error-correcting codes. In physics, cyclic groups are used to describe rotational symmetries of physical systems.

5. How can you determine if a group is cyclic?

To determine if a group is cyclic, you can check if there is a single element that can generate all other elements in the group. This can be done by finding the powers of each element in the group and seeing if they generate all elements. If there is a single element that generates all elements, then the group is cyclic. Otherwise, the group is not cyclic.