Exploring Life After Physics Grad School: What Are My Options?

In summary: Im scared about what to do after graduation.In summary, a senior at a University here in California is considering going to Physics grad school, but is worried about not fitting in well with the physics community and whether or not it is the right career path for him. He is also interested in any other feasible options, including medical school.
Lawrencel2
Hey all,
I am a senior at a University here in california. I have 3 semesters left after this before i graduate. (5 year plan..) I am going to be getting a B.s Degree in "Professional physics: advanced study option".
Basically they physics required for those intending on going to Grad school

As of recently I have been wondering if Physics grad school is right for me. I seem to be understanding most things pretty well, though definitely not the best. I am starting to feel as though i don't fit in well with the physics types, which is odd as I am actually pretty good at physics. I feel as though i may want to try something else for grad school.

What other options are feasible for a me?
I am scared that if i go to grad school for physics i may leave and not have a good paying job (though money is not everything, i would like to be able to support a family comfortably), or I may get a job totally unrelated to science..

Help me out please! just some ideas maybe... Is Med school an option? I love all science, very interested in health/bio as well. My Gpa is about 3.3-3.4, so i guess its kinda low =/.
Thanks!
Ps. I read this and it made me worry
http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say med school is an option, but I'm not very familiar with it. One thing that is an option is engineering grad school. Are you at all interested in design work? It doesn't even necessarily have to involve machinery, it could just be you, a computer, and an orbital trajectory creator or something.

I think it would be awesome to be an Md. Though I'm lacking some bio/chem classes.
Im Interested basically in anything, so engineering seems pretty fun and better paying.

Related to Exploring Life After Physics Grad School: What Are My Options?

1. What career options are available after graduating with a degree in physics?

There are many career options available for physics graduates, including research and development, academia, engineering, data science, finance, and consulting.

2. What skills do I need to have in order to succeed in a non-academic career after physics grad school?

Aside from technical and analytical skills, strong communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are highly valued in non-academic careers. It is also important to have experience with data analysis and programming languages such as Python and MATLAB.

3. Is it possible to transition from academia to a non-academic career after completing a physics PhD?

Yes, it is possible to transition from academia to a non-academic career after completing a physics PhD. Many skills gained during graduate school, such as research, data analysis, and project management, are transferable to other industries.

4. What resources are available to help physics graduates explore their career options?

Some resources that may be helpful include career fairs, networking events, informational interviews, and career counseling services offered by universities. Additionally, professional organizations for physicists often have job boards and career resources available for members.

5. How can I determine which career path is right for me after physics grad school?

Exploring different career options through internships, informational interviews, and job shadowing can help you gain insight into different industries and roles. It is also important to assess your skills, interests, and values to determine what type of career aligns with your goals and strengths.