Exploring Ontological Possibilities of Quantum Mechanics

In summary, there are various interpretations of quantum mechanics that attempt to explain what exists when we do not observe it. These include the idea that we do not know, the belief that there is nothing until measured, the concept of infinite possibilities, the existence of a particle with classical properties, and the notion that reality is a misconception. Some also argue that logic is not applicable at the quantum level. There are also interpretations that include the idea of a guiding wave or a particle and wave interchanging over time. There is no consensus on the answer to this question and it remains a topic of philosophical and scientific debate.
computerphys
Just trying to explore the ontological possibilities that Quantum Mechanics have created, I would like to make a list that covers the variety of ways of thinking about reality, using this question as a starting point:

QUESTION: What is there when we do not observe?

1.- We don't know (Feymann, Shut up and calculate), but QM is a good theory of measurement.

2.- We cannot know (Positivism), but QM is a good theory of measurement.

3.- There is nothing (Bohr, Copenhagen interpretation) until we measure.

4.- There is nothing, except our minds and QM is a mind theory.

5.- There is a particle with classical properties (Einstein, Hidden variable theories) and QM is a statistical theory.

6.- There are infinite particles with every possible classical property (Everett, Many-worlds).

7.- There is a particle with quantum properties (Reality of wavefunction) and QM is a theory about reality.

8.- The particle is there and is not there at the same time (this defies logic and meaning?).

9.- The question does not make sense because science cannot give an answer to it. There is not knowledge out of science.

10.- Reality is a misconception. Descartes was wrong when saying we exists just because we think. Nothing exists actually (defies logic?).

11.- Logic is a luxury we cannot afford at quantum levels (obviously defies logic).

Probably I have missed some alternative points of view, or made mistakes when describing some of them. This is the kind of help I am looking for, so thanks in advance for posting any corrections or additional views. I am not trying to debate the interpretations of QM, but just exploring which are the possible answers (more or less valid/popular) to the question proposed. I hope this post is in accordance with guidelines, otherwise I will try to fix it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
computerphys said:
8.- The particle is there and is not there at the same time (this defies logic and meaning?).

This is the closest to the option I prefer - all that exists is unbounded potential. Or what philosophers today would call ontic vagueness.

A potential is as much an everything as a nothing. It could become anything, and as yet has become nothing.

It needs to be "observed" to exist. It must be bounded by some set of limits or constraints to become anything actually definite (definite in regards to both what it is, and what it isn't - the path it takes, and thus all the paths it can be seen now not to have taken).

So there is a further ontic category to add to your list for the sake of completeness. And in philosophy, it is a very ancient and well-established idea.

I would add:

11) Bohmian interpretation ("ontological"): there is a particle and a guiding wave, that is the quantum potential of each particle. See Wholeness and the Implicate Order.

12) A more Whiteheadian variation on Bohm: there is a particle and a wave but they are two aspects of the same thing that oscillate over time. So it's not particle and wave at the 'same time,' but particle and wave at different times. This is entirely logical if we accept that time is best viewed as quantized, just as matter is best viewed as quantized.

Ok, then,

1.- We don't know (Feynman, Shut up and calculate), but QM is a good theory of measurement.

2.- We cannot know (Hawkings, Positivism), but QM is a good theory of measurement.

5.- There is a particle with classical properties (Einstein, Hidden variable theories) and QM is a statistical theory.

6.- There are infinite particles with every possible classical property (Everett, Many-worlds).

7.- There is a particle with quantum properties (Reality of wavefunction) and QM is a theory about reality.

8.- The particle is there and is not there at the same time (Ontic Vagueness, Fuzzy Logic. Defies logic?).

9.- The question does not make sense because science cannot give an answer to it. There is not knowledge out of science.

10.- Reality is a misconception. Descartes was wrong when saying we exists just because we think. Nothing exists actually (defies logic?).

11.- Logic is a luxury we cannot afford at quantum levels (obviously defies logic).

12.- There is a particle and a guiding wave with classical properties (Bohm + de Broglie).

13.- There is a particle and a wave with classical properties interchanging over time (Whitehead + Bohm).

computerphys said:
Just trying to explore the ontological possibilities that Quantum Mechanics have created, I would like to make a list that covers the variety of ways of thinking about reality, using this question as a starting point:

1.- We don't know (Feymann, Shut up and calculate), but QM is a good theory of measurement.

2.- We cannot know (Positivism), but QM is a good theory of measurement.

Probably I have missed some alternative points of view, or made mistakes when describing some of them. This is the kind of help I am looking for, so thanks in advance for posting any corrections or additional views. I am not trying to debate the interpretations of QM, but just exploring which are the possible answers (more or less valid/popular) to the question proposed. I hope this post is in accordance with guidelines, otherwise I will try to fix it.

Thanks

WHat's wrong with plain old-fashioned determinisim? All this above mumbo-jumbo is unjustified

bonker said:
WHat's wrong with plain old-fashioned determinisim?

Determinism is a behavioral aspect (how it works) meanwhile here we just try to analyze different ontologies (what is it). Nevertheless, determinism can be associated to some of the listed ontologies, for example #5 (Einstein's).

bonker said:
All this above mumbo-jumbo is unjustified

This mumbo-jumbo is expressing the wide variety of views of the reality compatible with Quantum Mechanics. It is interesting to realize that there is no consensus at all in this matters and also would be interesting to analyze how can it be that serious philosophers and scientists are proposing such extreme ideas ...

apeiron said:
This is the closest to the option I prefer - all that exists is unbounded potential. Or what philosophers today would call ontic vagueness.

A potential is as much an everything as a nothing. It could become anything, and as yet has become nothing.

It needs to be "observed" to exist. It must be bounded by some set of limits or constraints to become anything actually definite (definite in regards to both what it is, and what it isn't - the path it takes, and thus all the paths it can be seen now not to have taken).

So there is a further ontic category to add to your list for the sake of completeness. And in philosophy, it is a very ancient and well-established idea.

Apeiron, as regards ontic vagueness: I understand how indefinitely bounded aggregations, like a cloud, could be considered ontically vague. The "cloud" does not necessarily come into being until some such individual observes it and delineates which particles aggregate to form the bounds, i.e. which particulars are considered the bounds of the cloud. The cloud lends itself to this example, however, because of its fairly loose composition. How would one account for a highly polished cube of say, titanium? Would not, by virtue of the cube's highly substantial and formed nature, some boundaries instantiate within the cube regardless of there being an observer?

I can see how, in some respects, the cloud logic might be stretched to apply, but as this seems so highly counterintuitive, it leaves me guessing. Could you elucidate for me? Ontic vagueness is not something on which I've read much.

Related to Exploring Ontological Possibilities of Quantum Mechanics

1. What is the concept of "ontological possibilities" in relation to quantum mechanics?

The concept of "ontological possibilities" refers to the potential states or outcomes that a system can have according to quantum mechanics. It suggests that there are multiple possible realities or ways in which a system can exist, and the specific outcome is determined by the act of measurement or observation.

2. How does quantum mechanics explain the existence of multiple possibilities?

According to quantum mechanics, particles can exist in a superposition of states, meaning they can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This is known as the principle of superposition. When a measurement is made, the system collapses into one of these states, but until then, all possibilities coexist.

3. Can the ontological possibilities of quantum mechanics be observed or measured?

No, the ontological possibilities of quantum mechanics cannot be directly observed or measured. This is because the act of measurement or observation causes the system to collapse into one specific state, making it impossible to observe the other possibilities.

4. How do scientists study the ontological possibilities of quantum mechanics?

Scientists study the ontological possibilities of quantum mechanics through thought experiments and mathematical models. These allow them to explore the potential outcomes and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

5. What implications do the ontological possibilities of quantum mechanics have on our understanding of reality?

The ontological possibilities of quantum mechanics challenge our traditional understanding of reality as being deterministic and fixed. It suggests that the universe may be inherently uncertain and that multiple realities may coexist. This has philosophical and practical implications for our understanding of the world and our place in it.