Exploring Quantum Entanglement at a Beam Splitter

In summary, the scenario involves two photons entering paths b and c, which are not entangled with each other but are entangled with other photons. Before reaching the beam splitter, a wave plate converts the photon on path b into the 45/135 basis. When determining the outcome at the beam splitter, each basis state is added to the other basis states of the entangled photons. However, it is unclear how to write the overall state after the beam splitter, as the photons remain entangled with their original partners. One possible solution suggested by @StevieTNZ is to combine only the |45> states at the beam splitter, resulting in -|45>i|45>(b) + -i|45>|45>(
StevieTNZ
Okay, I have the following scenerio (attached picture).

The inputs for path b and c are two photons. both photons aren't entangled with each other - they're entangled to other photons. Before the beam splitter there is a wave plate that converts the photon into the 45/135 basis.

So what we end up with is taking each basis state and add it to each of the other basis states of the other pair of entangled photon when figuring out what happens at the beam splitter.

I'm a bit confused on how to work it out. Because the photons remain entangled with their original partners, how do we write the overall state after the BS?

Take |H>|45> for path b and combine it with -|V>|45> on path c. Combine only the |45>'s at the beam splitter. So we end up with -|45>i|45>(b) + -i|45>|45>(c)?

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
@StevieTNZ did you find any more insight on this topic?

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

2. How does a beam splitter work in exploring quantum entanglement?

A beam splitter is a device that splits a single beam of light into two beams. In exploring quantum entanglement, a beam splitter is used to create two entangled photons by splitting a single photon into two using a crystal, causing them to become entangled.

3. Why is exploring quantum entanglement important?

Exploring quantum entanglement is important because it can help us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and potentially lead to new technologies, such as quantum computing and secure communication.

4. Can quantum entanglement be observed in everyday objects?

No, quantum entanglement is a phenomenon that only occurs at the quantum level and cannot be observed in everyday objects. It requires precise conditions and specialized equipment to be observed.

5. What are some potential applications of quantum entanglement at a beam splitter?

Some potential applications of quantum entanglement at a beam splitter include quantum teleportation, quantum cryptography, and quantum computing. These technologies have the potential to greatly advance fields such as communication and computing.