Exploring REU Opportunities: Join the Discussion

In summary: I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.
Newtime said:
I think a few people have gotten offers from Cornell (check on the first couple of pages).

Has anyone heard from Mount Holyoke or Indiana?

One of my friends at university applied to Indiana, and I don't think he has heard back.

Physics news on Phys.org
math.py said:
How was your experience? What did you work on? This is one of the few programs who's project descriptions I was somewhat intimidated by. I applied to this year's Supersymmetry, Graphs, and Codes project.

I was a rising sophomore last year, didn't have so many advanced math courses at all. And I worked on the graphs project. Don't worry about the descriptions, the research is not overwhelming at all.

Got an offer from Stanford Research Institute's PSD REU program!

Apparently my friend got an offer from Indiana last night.

I just got rejected from Cornell (I think? Haha). I got into Iowa State though, so it's allll good.

Has anyone heard from Nebraska, Claremont, DIMACS, or UMBC's HPC?

Hey, I created a facebook group for anyone accepted to the Penn State MASS program or to the Penn State REU.

Just search "MASS/REU 2011 at Penn State".

Let's keep in touch, brotha's and sista's!

I got into UMBC's HPC. They've currently sent out their first offers. The rejection deadline is March 14, so they should be sending out any others within the next week.

When I talked to Grand Valley, they said offers would be going out yesterday. I didn't get one.

Hope college sent me a rejection March 18th last year, so I would imagine they are on roughly the same timeline.

Cornell sent out acceptances awhile ago. I'm not positive, but I would guess that if you haven't gotten in yet, you won't.

I emailed Harvey Mudd, as I need to decide soon on REUs. They said they would let me know by 5pm today, so I would guess they are sending the first offers out today.

Also, my friend went to the LSU REU last summer, and it was a great experience. She worked with a partner, and it was good for both advancing knowledge and socially. They have several REU programs, so you meet people across several fields. She was in computational mathematics, or something like that.

Places I haven't heard back from:Indiana, Central Michigan, Clemson, University of Nebraska.

I was also informed UNC-Greensboro has already finished their application process.

Hope this helps.

Anyone heard back from UNC Asheville, Central Michigan and Bard? Thanks!

I just received an REU offer in applied math, specifically "Group Theory, Probability and Card Shuffling" at SUNY Potsdam. I have until Wednesday to respond.

Has anyone got any updates from Rutgers? That is the the only applied math programs I may still be interested in (since I was denied by UCLA). Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
klackity said:
Hey, I created a facebook group for anyone accepted to the Penn State MASS program or to the Penn State REU.

Just search "MASS/REU 2011 at Penn State".

Let's keep in touch, brotha's and sista's!

Great idea, I just joined it!

This is where we are so far. Let me know if I'm missing anything or have anything wrong.

Offers sent:

Rose-Hulman, SUNY Postdam, James Madison, SMALL, Cornell, Duluth, UCLA RIPS, Emory, UNC Greensboro, Penn MASS/REU, Park City Mathematics Institute, North Carolina State, UC Santa Barbara, UMBC's HPC

No reports:

UNC Asheville, LSU, Claremont, Clemson, DIMACS, Rutgers, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Indiana, Mount Holyoke, William and Mary, Bloomington, Kent State, Bard College, BYU, Central Michigan, Kansas State, University of Wyoming, Orion University, East Tennessee State, Rochester Institute of Technology, Oregon State, Grand Valley State, Hope College, University of Nebraska

kage2343 said:
I emailed Harvey Mudd, as I need to decide soon on REUs. They said they would let me know by 5pm today, so I would guess they are sending the first offers out today.

What REU is this? Is this the systems REU?

math.py said:
This is where we are so far. Let me know if I'm missing anything or have anything wrong.

Offers sent:

Rose-Hulman, SUNY Postdam, James Madison, SMALL, Cornell, Duluth, UCLA RIPS, Emory, UNC Greensboro, Penn MASS/REU, Park City Mathematics Institute, North Carolina State, UC Santa Barbara, UMBC's HPC

No reports:

UNC Asheville, LSU, Claremont, Clemson, DIMACS, Rutgers, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Indiana, Mount Holyoke, William and Mary, Bloomington, Kent State, Bard College, BYU, Central Michigan, Kansas State, University of Wyoming, Orion University, East Tennessee State, Rochester Institute of Technology, Oregon State, Grand Valley State, Hope College, University of Nebraska

I think Texas A&M has started to send out offers.
It really bothers me that I have not gotten a rejection from RIPS. I am aware that a lot of offers have been sent out though.

R.P.F. said:
I think Texas A&M has started to send out offers.
It really bothers me that I have not gotten a rejection from RIPS. I am aware that a lot of offers have been sent out though.

Pretty easy to find out. I called them and they told me I didn't get a spot >_<

math.py said:
What REU is this? Is this the systems REU?

EDIT: Apparently it is known as an REU in systems, so you are correct. Garbage Collection is the program to which I received an offer.

@math.py, LSU Math REU has sent out their offers, in fact their first choice reply-by date has also passed.

I can confirm Grand Valley State sent theirs out yesterday. Responses for the first batch are due the 15th. Still haven't heard back from anywhere else, excepting Minnesota-Duluth who promptly rejected me. :p

kage2343 said:
EDIT: Apparently it is known as an REU in systems, so you are correct. Garbage Collection is the program to which I received an offer.

No! The robotics project was (sort of) my top choice. I didn't receive an offer! Out of curiosity, what school are you from?

math.py said:
No! The robotics project was (sort of) my top choice. I didn't receive an offer! Out of curiosity, what school are you from?

Loyola University Chicago. You?

kage2343 said:
Loyola University Chicago. You?

Cal Poly Pomona. I asked because I know some people at my school also applied to the Harvey Mudd REU. I thought maybe you were a student here. Anyways, congrats on your acceptance.Offers sent: (Updated)

Harvey Mudd, Texas A&M, Grand Valley State, LSU, Rose-Hulman, SUNY Postdam, James Madison, SMALL, Cornell, Duluth, UCLA RIPS, Emory, UNC Greensboro, Penn MASS/REU, Park City Mathematics Institute, North Carolina State, UC Santa Barbara, UMBC's HPC

No reports:

UNC Asheville, Claremont, Clemson, DIMACS, Rutgers, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Indiana, Mount Holyoke, William and Mary, Bloomington, Kent State, Bard College, BYU, Central Michigan, Kansas State, University of Wyoming, Orion University, East Tennessee State, Rochester Institute of Technology, Oregon State, Hope College, University of Nebraska

math.py said:
Cal Poly Pomona. I asked because I know some people at my school also applied to the Harvey Mudd REU. I thought maybe you were a student here. Anyways, congrats on your acceptance.

Offers sent: (Updated)

Harvey Mudd, Texas A&M, Grand Valley State, LSU, Rose-Hulman, SUNY Postdam, James Madison, SMALL, Cornell, Duluth, UCLA RIPS, Emory, UNC Greensboro, Penn MASS/REU, Park City Mathematics Institute, North Carolina State, UC Santa Barbara, UMBC's HPC

No reports:

UNC Asheville, Claremont, Clemson, DIMACS, Rutgers, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Indiana, Mount Holyoke, William and Mary, Bloomington, Kent State, Bard College, BYU, Central Michigan, Kansas State, University of Wyoming, Orion University, East Tennessee State, Rochester Institute of Technology, Oregon State, Hope College, University of Nebraska

Thanks for compiling this. An update: Indiana has sent out offers and Cal State San Bernardino has not yet sent out offers.

I know that Indiana has sent out offers; my friend received and accepted one.

I just got my offer from UNC Asheville. (YAY!) I was a bit surprised to hear from someone on a Saturday.

I still haven't heard back from North East Arizona, James Madison, St. Mary's, Central Michigan, and Cornell. Rejected from Williams a little over a week ago.

I emailed DIMACS and they have already begun sending out offers for some of the projects, but not all. So don't lose hope. :)

flansbmp said:
I still haven't heard back from North East Arizona, James Madison, St. Mary's, Central Michigan, and Cornell. Rejected from Williams a little over a week ago.

It looks like James Madison and Cornell are done sending out offers.

Offers sent: (Update 2)

DIMACS (some), UNC Asheville, Indiana, Harvey Mudd, Texas A&M, Grand Valley State, LSU, Rose-Hulman, SUNY Postdam, James Madison, Williams SMALL, Cornell, Duluth, UCLA RIPS, Emory, UNC Greensboro, Penn MASS/REU, Park City Mathematics Institute, North Carolina State, UC Santa Barbara, UMBC's HPC

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm just curious about these REUs because I may be applying to possibly 10 or so next summer (when I'll be a rising junior, so it isn't the end of the world if I get rejected from all). Are these REU's generally one of the best ways to get a research paper or project done? As compared to research in the college school year, instead?

As a result of my REU last summer, I got published. Also, REUs typically provide some sort of supplemental experiences like special seminars or GRE prep, things you wouldn't get when working with a professor at your university. REUs are also great because you get to meet people from all over.
Of course if you can do research with a professor at you university, that is awesome too. Sometimes, you can even get funding from your school. The projects have the potential to be long term, although I would guess if it's during the school year your focus would be divided because of coursework. I haven't approached any of my professors asking for research but I think it would be a great experience.

belle said:
As a result of my REU last summer, I got published. Also, REUs typically provide some sort of supplemental experiences like special seminars or GRE prep, things you wouldn't get when working with a professor at your university. REUs are also great because you get to meet people from all over.
Of course if you can do research with a professor at you university, that is awesome too. Sometimes, you can even get funding from your school. The projects have the potential to be long term, although I would guess if it's during the school year your focus would be divided because of coursework. I haven't approached any of my professors asking for research but I think it would be a great experience.

where did you go last summer? did you like it?

I just got an acceptance at Indiana after getting rejections from Duluth, Utah, Williams, and Cornell, in that order. I know that Auburn and James Madison have started making offers but not finished, because I applied after deadline to them in a scary emotional state after getting rejected from Williams.

Has anyone heard from Clemson, Bard, William & Mary, or Iowa State? Or is Indiana good enough compared to those others that I should just accept them?

Aaaaand now I've got an Auburn offer, too. Man, what to do?

I've heard from Iowa State about two weeks ago. I got in. Not sure if they've stopped sending offers or if they're sending rejections.

Is Northern Arizona considered a very good program?

I am deciding between Northern Arizona, and an offer to both Utah's REU and the Park City Mathematics Institute (they are scheduled so I can attend both).

Which REU would carry more weight on my resume? NAU, or Utah/PCMI?

NAU is where I went and I enjoyed the program. I don't know which one would be more prestigious though.

Does anyone have an idea, though, if Indiana is much more prestigious than Auburn?