Exploring the 'Basic Lemma' of Calculus of Variations

In summary, the basic lemma of the calculus of variations states that if a continuous function f satisfies a certain condition for all arbitrary continuous functions η, then f must be equal to zero on the interval [a,b]. The proof is done by contradiction, assuming f is non-zero and showing that it contradicts the given condition. However, this proof may not be valid if the function η is chosen to be zero on [a,b]. To avoid this, the hypothesis must be modified to ensure that η is non-zero at least once on [a,b].
sponsoredwalk
The following theorem is called "the 'basic lemma' of the calculus of variations" on page 1
of this book:

"If f is a continuous function in [a,b] s.t. ∫abη(x)f(x)dx = 0 for an arbitrary function η
continuous in [a,b] subject to the condition that η(a) = η(b) = 0 then f(x) = 0 in [a,b]"

If you read the proof you'll see they go ahead & specify the function η by (x - x₁)(x₂ - x)
& prove the claim using that, but technically does that not just prove the theorem for this
function alone, not for any arbitrary function?

Also, if we arbitrarily choose η to be the zero function s.t. η(x) is zero on [a,b] then f need
not equal zero on [a,b] for this theorem to hold. Surely I'm missing something?

Assuming I'm right, we must modify the hypothesis to make η non-zero at least once on
[a,b] & choose η so that it is non-zero at least once on [a,b], now could it be considered a
proof by way of contradiction to simply take advantage of the limit of a sum formulation of
the integral & try to prove it using an arbitrary η:

Using |∑η(xᵢ)f(xᵢ)δxᵢ - 0| < ε we see that this reduces to|∑η(xᵢ)f(xᵢ)δxᵢ| < ε.
As we've assumed η can be arbitrary if it's non-zero at least once on [a,b] then the sum
∑η(xᵢ)f(xᵢ)δxᵢ will equal at least one definite value as f is assumed to be non-zero on
[a,b]. But now there exists an ε ≤ |∑η(xᵢ)f(xᵢ)δxᵢ|, contradicting our original assumption.

But this brings into question another concern, f could be non-zero at every other
point on [a,b] except the non-zero value η(cᵢ) we're forced to assume exists as above,
what I mean is:

∑η(xᵢ)f(xᵢ)δxᵢ = η(x₁)f(x₁)δx₁ + η(x₂)f(x₂)δx₂ + ... = 0·f(x₁)δx₁ + 0·f(x₂)δx₂ + ... + η(cᵢ)·0δxᵢ + ...

Here you'd satisfy the hypothesis by having the sum equal to zero but the conclusion
doesn't follow! The flaw lies in the inclusion of the phrase "arbitrary function" as far as
I can see.

I really feel I must be making a basic, basic, error in my interpretation of this frankly but
as it stands I just don't see where I'm wrong. Please let me know :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement is basically:
If f is continuous and for all [itex]\eta[/itex] <something holds>, then f is zero.

The proof is by contradiction: assume that f is non-zero, and prove something in contradiction with the assumption.
The negation of "f is continuous and for all [itex]\eta[/itex] <something holds>" is "f is not continuous or for some [itex]\eta[/itex] not <something holds>".
So if we also assume that f is in fact continuous, we derive the contradiction by showing that for some [itex]\eta[/itex], the <something> doesn't hold. There may be more than one such [itex]\eta[/itex], but the proof just gives you one (and shows that it will do).

What is the 'Basic Lemma' of Calculus of Variations?

The 'Basic Lemma' of Calculus of Variations states that for a given functional with fixed boundary conditions, the minimizing function must satisfy the Euler-Lagrange equation.

How is the 'Basic Lemma' used in Calculus of Variations?

The 'Basic Lemma' is used to find the minimizing function for a given functional with fixed boundary conditions. It allows us to solve optimization problems in calculus of variations and is the foundation for many other concepts in the field.

What is the significance of the 'Basic Lemma' in mathematics?

The 'Basic Lemma' is a fundamental result in the field of calculus of variations. It provides a powerful tool for solving optimization problems and has applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other areas of mathematics.

What are some real-life applications of the 'Basic Lemma'?

The 'Basic Lemma' has many real-life applications, such as finding the optimal path for a rocket to travel from one point to another, minimizing energy consumption in engineering designs, and optimizing resource allocation in economics.

Are there any limitations to the 'Basic Lemma'?

While the 'Basic Lemma' is a powerful tool, it does have limitations. It can only be applied to functions with fixed boundary conditions, and it may not always give a unique solution. Additionally, it may be difficult to solve the resulting Euler-Lagrange equation in some cases.