Exploring the Behavior of Parallel Photons in a Vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of two identical photons traveling in parallel in a vacuum and whether there is a minimum separation necessary to prevent them from collapsing into something else. The concept of trajectory and uncertainty are also mentioned, but it is noted that a classical model of a particle with a well-defined trajectory cannot accurately explain the behavior of photons. The conversation highlights the challenges of understanding and modeling quantum phenomena.
slow
Hi. Maybe you can help me understand something. Two identical photons travel parallel in a vacuum. I want the lines of their trajectories to be as close to each other as possible.

1. If each photon could observe the other, what would it detect?

2. Is there a minimum separation necessary to prevent photons from collapsing? Or do they never collapse, regardless of how much separation there is between the two lines?

Science news on Phys.org
slow said:
1. If each photon could observe the other, what would it detect?

This is impossible, so any answer given would be wrong.

slow said:
2. Is there a minimum separation necessary to prevent photons from collapsing? Or do they never collapse, regardless of how much separation there is between the two lines?

What do you mean by "collapsing"?

Likes slow and lekh2003
slow said:
Two identical photons travel parallel in a vacuum. I want the lines of their trajectories to be as close to each other as possible.
This is not a model of the photon that works, I'm afraid. The location and size of a photon are not quantities that have any meaning at all. The only occasion when you can say a photon 'is there' is whist it is interacting with an Atom (or many atoms at a time) with a known position. If yo want a narrow beam then you have to approach this with wave theory and conventional optics.

Hi, Drakkith. I used the word collapse to include any event that starts with two individual photons traveling parallel and ternime with something different, that is, something that is not a pair of parallel individual photons.

Hello sophiecentaur. The initial note of this thread does not mention a photon model. Within what I have been taught, until now we only have the mathematical formulation of some properties of the photon, as energy directly proportional to frequency, spin always equal to a universal constant, phase, polarization, that type of data that are formulated abstractly, without resorting to a physical model. I asked about the separation of the lines, because I do not know what happens with respect to the trajectory. I do not know to what extent there may or may not be uncertainty in the trajectory, so that it may not make sense to imagine a line for each photon and we must imagine something like a cylindrical region whose axis is the line we classically call a ray in the propagation. Instead of pointing to a model, my question points to what I do not know.

slow said:
Hi, Drakkith. I used the word collapse to include any event that starts with two individual photons traveling parallel and ternime with something different, that is, something that is not a pair of parallel individual photons.

Well, photons don't interact with each other very well, so you'd be unlikely to get any such event at all.

slow said:
Hello sophiecentaur. The initial note of this thread does not mention a photon model. Within what I have been taught, until now we only have the mathematical formulation of some properties of the photon, as energy directly proportional to frequency, spin always equal to a universal constant, phase, polarization, that type of data that are formulated abstractly, without resorting to a physical model.

If by "physical model" you mean a model that makes intuitive sense based on our own experiences of life at our own scale, then there is no such model that accurately describes photons. One of the biggest barriers to learning about quantum physics for most people is that common sense and intuition just don't apply to physics at the atomic scale. Things like the uncertainty principle and complementarity aren't observable at the macro scale, so our brains never have a chance to get used to them at an early age and form an intuitive understanding.

slow said:
I asked about the separation of the lines, because I do not know what happens with respect to the trajectory. I do not know to what extent there may or may not be uncertainty in the trajectory, so that it may not make sense to imagine a line for each photon and we must imagine something like a cylindrical region whose axis is the line we classically call a ray in the propagation. Instead of pointing to a model, my question points to what I do not know.
What happens to a photon prior to being detected is mostly unknown and mostly unknowable. However, we know that photons cannot be said to have a trajectory in the classical sense, as wave diffraction leads to some very strange observations that a classical model of a particle with a well defined trajectory just cannot explain. And that's before we even throw in quantum tunneling and other quantum effects. Usually when we talk about the path of a photon, we are using shorthand for the path through space that you would be most likely to detect a photon.

Likes slow and sophiecentaur
slow said:
Hello sophiecentaur. The initial note of this thread does not mention a photon model.
slow said:
Two identical photons travel parallel in a vacuum. I want the lines of their trajectories to be as close to each other as possible.
I don't understand. You ask a question about photons but deny that you are mentioning photons. OR do you have a problem with the word "model"? The fact that you are introducing photons means you are working to a 'model' but you are not using a valid photon model from the very start.

1. What is the purpose of exploring the behavior of parallel photons in a vacuum?

The purpose of this study is to gain a better understanding of how photons, which are particles of light, behave in a vacuum. This research can help us understand the fundamental properties of light and its interactions with other particles in the universe.

2. How are parallel photons defined in this study?

Parallel photons are defined as photons that are moving in the same direction and have the same wavelength. They are used in this study to simplify the analysis of their behavior and to observe how they interact with each other in a vacuum.

3. What methods are used to explore the behavior of parallel photons in a vacuum?

In this study, a combination of theoretical and experimental methods are used. Theoretical models are used to predict the behavior of parallel photons, while experiments are conducted to observe and measure their interactions in a controlled vacuum environment.

4. What have previous studies revealed about the behavior of parallel photons in a vacuum?

Previous studies have shown that parallel photons in a vacuum maintain their parallel orientation and do not interact with each other. This is due to the fact that photons have no charge and do not experience any force, making them independent of each other's presence.

5. How can the results of this study be applied in real-world applications?

The understanding of parallel photons in a vacuum can have implications in various fields such as optics, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics. It can also aid in the development of technologies that utilize light, such as optical communication systems and solar energy devices.