Exploring the Gamma Function: f(3), f(4) and f(5)

In summary, the function f(x) is the integral from 0 to infinity of t^(x)e^(-t)dt. It is found using the gamma function, and is undefined for certain values of x when plugged into 0. f(x)=x when x is equal to 3, 4, or 5. f'(x) is the derivative of f(x). It is found to be t^(3)e^(-t). This means that l'hospitals rule can be used to determine that f(x)/g(x) = t^3/e^-t.
Calcgeek123

Homework Statement

Define the function: f(x)= The integral from 0 to infinity of t^(x)e^(-t)dt.
Find f(3), f(4) and f(5). Notice anything?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that I start by finding the integral of f(x). I used wolfram alpha and found that it's apparently the gamma function. I googled the gamma function, but it seems like this crayz thing, and it hasnt gotten me any closer to how to integrate it, especially what f(3), f(4) and f(5) have in common. =/

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate it using repeated integration by parts. As for the interesting thing you're suppose to see, here's a hint: factorial.

I'm having trouble integrating it because of the t and x. t is a variable, and x is like a number. So when i let u=t^(x), du=xt^(x-1) ..is that correct? Its the x that is throwing me off...

First set x equal to 3 (or 4, or 5), and then start solving the integral -- the other way around is actually impossible to solve for general x.

I.e. start by solving this:
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} t^3e^{-t} dt[/tex]
This gives you f(3). Then the same for x=4, then for x=5, etc. You will need to perform integration by parts -- you don't need a substitution.

That makes sense. Thank you!

I integrated using the tabular method, and got that f(3)=-t^(3)e^(-t)-3t^(2)e^(-t)-6te^(-t)-6e^(-t) from 0 to infinity.

Because one of the bounds includes infinity, I need to take the limit of this function as t goes to infinity. So i did that, and ended up with the limit as t approaches infinity from 0 to infinity of f(3) = (infinity x 0) - (infinity x 0) - (infinity x 0) - 0 -[0-0-0-0]. I'll have to use L'Hospitals rule on the first three terms, but I'm not sure about the [0-0-0-0] part. Each of these terms, when plugging in 0, come out to be (0 x (1/0)) which (1/0) is undefined. Do I just ignore this and make each term 0? Or is that an important part ff the problem..

I found f(3)=6, f(4)=24, and f(5)=120. So f(x)=x!

I need to also determine f'(x). I found f'(x)=t^(3)e^(-t). The next part of the problem says, what does this say about l'hospital's rule and factorials? I know that if i used l'hospitals rule, Id say that f(x)/g(x) = t^3/e^-t. I'm not sure what to do from there though in terms of explaining, or how this relates to factorials. Any suggestions from anyone?

Related to Exploring the Gamma Function: f(3), f(4) and f(5)

1. What is the Gamma function and why is it important?

The Gamma function, denoted by the symbol Γ, is a special function in mathematics that is defined as an extension of the factorial function to complex numbers. It plays a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory, combinatorics, and statistics. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How is the value of the Gamma function calculated for specific numbers?

The value of the Gamma function for specific numbers can be calculated using various methods, such as the Lanczos approximation, the Stirling's formula, or the recursion formula. The exact method used depends on the specific number and the desired level of accuracy.

3. What is the significance of exploring f(3), f(4) and f(5) in the Gamma function?

The values of the Gamma function for integers 3, 4, and 5 have special significance because they correspond to the values of the factorial function for these numbers. This allows us to extend our understanding of factorials to non-integer values and explore the behavior of the Gamma function in this range.

4. How does the Gamma function relate to other special functions, such as the Beta function?

The Gamma function is closely related to other special functions, such as the Beta function, which is defined in terms of the Gamma function. In fact, the Beta function can be expressed as a ratio of two Gamma functions. This relationship allows us to use properties of the Gamma function to derive properties of the Beta function.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Gamma function?

The Gamma function has many real-world applications, such as in probability and statistics, where it is used to calculate probabilities, confidence intervals, and other statistical measures. It also has applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics, where it is used to describe the behavior of particles. Additionally, the Gamma function plays a crucial role in the design and analysis of experiments in various fields.