Exploring the Intuition Behind Rings in Abstract Algebra

In summary, Professor Moore provides a short introduction to group theory and ring theory before discussing why rings are important. He argues that rings provide a more intuitive and general way to solve equations than groups, and provides a few examples to support his argument.
dionysian
Ok so I am not a math major and i haven't taken an abstract algebra class but i am curoius about the subject. I have been watching video lectures at UCCS at http://cmes.uccs.edu/Fall2007/Math414/archive.php?type=valid and the proffessor talks about groups and rings. In the introduction the groups he states that the definitions of a group are sufficient for solving a linear equation. He states that this is the intuition beheind the idea of a group. Now when he introduces a ring he doesn't seem to give much motivation beheind it.

My questions is this: Why are rings important? Is there any intuition behind them that warrent studying them and/or giving them there own name?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because groups may be appropriate for studying the solutions of equations of the form ax=b, but to study ax+by=c we need rings. A group is a set with a group structure. A ring is a set with two structures: one abelian group structure whose operation we denote by +, and one monoid structure whose operation we denote by *, and these operations are connected by distributivity. The standard answer is that rings is the appropriate way to generalize the integers.

For an example of why rings are important consider polynomials. The set of monomials can be considered as a monoid. Actually the set of monic monomials in n variables with coefficients in R is actually the free abelian monoid in n letters, and the set of monomials is the product monoid A x M where A is the monoid of coefficients and M is the monic monomials. To extend this to polynomials we need to consider sums of monomials, and therefore to introduce the polynomial ring.

Also if you have taken linear algebra and understand the motivation of a field, remember that a field is just a generalization of a ring. A field is just a ring whose multiplicative structure is actually an abelian group. So a field is a ring in which every non-zero element x has a multiplicative inverse y (s.t. xy=1) and where multiplication is commutative.

For a somewhat more advanced discussion of this question see "http://mathoverflow.net/questions/2748/what-is-the-right-definition-of-a-ring" " at mathoverflow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to think of abstract algebraic structures in terms of what algebraic aspects of matrices they model (I may or may not be a functional analyst...)

Groups capture the idea of multiplication in the set of invertible matrices.
Rings capture the interaction between matrix multiplication and addition.
Modules capture the interaction between matrix addition and scalar multiplication.
Algebras capture the interaction of matrix multiplication and addition and scalar multiplication.

There certainly are many other examples of all these abstract algebraic structures that are not matrices, but the success of various representation theories shows that matrices are very important examples of each.

rings arise whenever you have both addition and multiplication on the same space - where addition is commutative. To me this is more intuitive than just a group where there is only one law of multiplication. The most natural ring is the integers but the number of different rings and applications of them is boundless.

Rings of polynomials and their quotients are huge - as are rungs of functions.

Related to Exploring the Intuition Behind Rings in Abstract Algebra

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies mathematical structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the properties and relationships of these structures, rather than specific numerical values.

2. What is a ring in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, a ring is a set of elements with two operations, addition and multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, and distributivity.

3. How does intuition play a role in understanding rings in abstract algebra?

Intuition plays a crucial role in understanding rings in abstract algebra because it allows us to make connections between abstract concepts and familiar ideas. By using our intuition, we can gain a better understanding of the properties and relationships of rings.

4. What is the importance of studying the intuition behind rings in abstract algebra?

Studying the intuition behind rings in abstract algebra can help us develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques in this field. It also allows us to apply these concepts to other areas of mathematics and real-world problems.

5. How can we improve our intuition for rings in abstract algebra?

One way to improve our intuition for rings in abstract algebra is by practicing solving problems and working with abstract concepts. It can also be helpful to make connections between rings and other mathematical structures, or to visualize them in different ways.