Exploring the Positivity of Inductances in Quasistatic Approximation

• Thread starter emroz92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positive
In summary, the self inductance of a loop can be defined as the magnetic energy that the loop retains when electric current flows through it. The integral for self inductance is positive infinity, but it can be integrable if the loop is closed.
emroz92
Exploiting quasistatic approximation, if one wishes to calculate self-inductance of any loop, he is led to the following double line integral:

[itex]\oint\oint\frac{d\vec{l_{1}}\cdot d\vec{l_{2}}}{r}[/itex],

where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance between the length elements [itex]\vec{dl_{1}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{dl_{2}}[/itex].

Is this integral always positive? If so, what would be the mathematical treatment associated to prove its positivity?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a loop, dl1 and dl2 are nearly colinear (thus positive dot product) when r is small. When they are oppositely directed (negative dot product), r is large. The positive contributions to the integral will always outweigh the negative, giving a positive result.

marcusl said:
In a loop, dl1 and dl2 are nearly colinear (thus positive dot product) when r is small. When they are oppositely directed (negative dot product), r is large. The positive contributions to the integral will always outweigh the negative, giving a positive result.

Thanks ! The argument is quite illuminating. But it still bears some risks for it might run into troubles for topologically complicated loops which orient in a bizarre manner. Am looking for a rigorous approach.

Last edited:
But someone ought to say 'thank you' for an argument which, naive or not, is clear, simple and manifestly correct for simple loops.

Philip Wood said:
But someone ought to say 'thank you' for an argument which, naive or not, is clear, simple and manifestly correct for simple loops.

Amended.
Thanks to you too...
:)

I am afraid the above integral is positive infinity (1/r integrated down to r=0), so it is not really applicable. Such definition with mathematical curve instead of wire works only for mutual inductance of two nonintersecting circuits.

In your case, when the loop is closed, the self-inductance L can be defined for quasistationary processes as the number L that gives magnetic energy when electric current flows through the loop:

[tex]
\int \frac{1}{2} \mathbf H\cdot \mathbf B ~dV = \frac{1}{2} LI^2.
[/tex]

Since the energy and I^2 are positive, L has to be positive.

Jano L. said:
I am afraid the above integral is positive infinity (1/r integrated down to r=0), so it is not really applicable. Such definition with mathematical curve instead of wire works only for mutual inductance of two nonintersecting circuits.

In your case, when the loop is closed, the self-inductance L can be defined for quasistationary processes as the number L that gives magnetic energy when electric current flows through the loop:

[tex]
\int \frac{1}{2} \mathbf H\cdot \mathbf B ~dV = \frac{1}{2} LI^2.
[/tex]

Since the energy and I^2 are positive, L has to be positive.

Hi Jano,
I will be glad if you could elaborate on why the integral can't be a negative infinity.

Also, going by the definition you provided for L, doesn't the integral term on the left only indicate the total magnetic energy of all space only if it contains linear media so that $$\mathbf H || \mathbf B$$? Or should we take the definition to a more general case correcting the integral to

$$\frac{1}{2\mu_0}\int B^2 ~dV $$

ignoring the energy involved in magnetization? But if done so, I think we shall still have some troubles...

I think the proper definition should be:

$$ LI ~dI = \int \mathbf {\partial H} \cdot \mathbf B ~dV$$

Correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited:
The divergence comes from the regions around l1 = l2, where the dot product is always positive for smooth wires.
However, I would expect an additional minimal separation of the wires in the integration, comparable to the size of the wire itself.

Topology cannot matter since parts of a physical loop (which by definition has continuous tangents everywhere) that are close must be parallel and will contribute more positive than distantly related negative portions.

There is an apparent infinity in your integrand for self-inductance, BTW, but it is integrable. The infinity is typically handled as follows: We can substitute for current [tex]\vec{i}=\frac{1}{\mu}\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{B}, [/tex] and for the i'/v term
[tex]\vec{A}=\frac{\mu}{4\pi}\int{\frac{\vec{i'}}{r}dV},[/tex] both into the expression for energy. After suitable manipulations, this becomes
[tex]W=\frac{1}{2\mu}\int{B^2 dV}.[/tex]
Since B is proportional to I, self inductance is defined as
[tex]W_{11}=\frac{1}{2}Li^2.[/tex]
This is, by the way, another way to see why self inductance is always positive. Energy is always a positive quantity, and the current squared is also always positive.

If the medium around the wire is to be described by non-linear relation between H and B, things get little complicated.

Let us at least assume that H is a monotonic function of B, possibly different in different places (wire, air,...)

The increase of the magnetic energy will be

$$
\delta E_{mag} = \int_V \mathbf H\cdot \delta \mathbf B ~dV
$$

One can define magnetic energy by

$$
E_{mag}(I) = \int_V \int_0^I \mathbf H\cdot \frac{\partial \mathbf B}{\partial I} ~dI~dV ,
$$

but if H(B) is not linear, it won't be quadratic in I, so we cannot define inductance.

The derivation is a little bit tricky. Try to read the first chapters of the book by Panofsky & Phillips, they discuss energy in these quasistationary phenomena quite well. If you'll get stuck, I'll help you.

Last edited:
Inductance still can be defined in this case, but it becomes current dependent. The effect was used by a company called Vari-L in the 1950's and 60's for their line of variable RF inductors. Passing a DC current through the winding shifted the B-H curve to a point where the incremental permeability was low (compared to zero bias). The inductance seen by a small RF signal thus depended on the point set by the DC bias, which could be varied.

That is interesting Marcus, thank you.

For emroz, it is perhaps good to say then that such an inductance has to be defined by the usual way

$$
drop~V = L(I)dI/dt,
$$

where drop is across the wire in the direction of current. Because L depends in I, the energy is then not a simple quadratic function of current.

Related to Exploring the Positivity of Inductances in Quasistatic Approximation

1. Why are inductances considered positive?

Inductance is a measure of how much opposition an electrical circuit offers to the flow of an alternating current. It is a property of the circuit itself and is always positive because it represents the energy stored in the circuit due to the magnetic field created by the current.

2. Can inductances ever be negative?

No, inductance is always positive because it is a physical property of the circuit and cannot have a negative value. In some cases, the inductance may appear to be negative due to the presence of a negative sign in mathematical equations, but this does not mean that the inductance itself is negative.

3. How do positive inductances affect electrical circuits?

Positive inductances cause a lag in the current flow in an alternating current circuit, which can lead to a phase shift between voltage and current. This can affect the overall behavior and performance of the circuit, such as creating resonance or causing voltage spikes.

4. Are there any benefits to having positive inductances in a circuit?

Yes, inductances play an important role in many electronic devices and have various benefits. They can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies, store energy, and create magnetic fields for powering motors and other devices.

5. How do we measure the value of positive inductances?

The unit of measurement for inductance is the henry (H). Inductance can be measured using an inductance meter, which measures the current and voltage in a circuit to calculate the inductance. It can also be calculated using the physical dimensions and properties of the circuit components.