Exploring the Possibility of Multiple Moons Orbiting a Planet: Answers Await!

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Lymsleia
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of multiple moons orbiting a planet in different patterns. The first question asks about a crossing pattern, the second about a parallel pattern, and the third about sharing the same orbit but being opposite to each other. The answer is yes for the first and third question, but no for the second. However, these configurations are unstable unless the orbiting bodies have very small masses. The conversation also touches on the relationship between a planet's direction of rotation and the orbit of its moons.
Lymsleia
hello,
i can't seem to find answer in my country forum, so I ask here, hope you don't mind

-----------
(1)
Is it possible for planet to have 2 moon orbit in crossing pattern?
like... one orbit around equator another orbit around north and south pole(2)
Can multiple moon orbit in parallel pattern?
like... one orbit around equator, one orbit around northern hemisphere, and another orbit around southern hemisphere.

(3)
Can 2 moon share same orbit but directly opposite to each other?

--------------
thank you in advance for the answer.
oh and... English is not my native language, forgive me if I'm wrong in spelling or grammar.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
(1) yes - be careful so they don't collide
(2) no - orbits are around center of mass of system, usually center of planet (assumed much larger than moon)
(3) yes

so, I presume that planet direction of rotation have nothing to do with orbiting?

Lymsleia said:
so, I presume that planet direction of rotation have nothing to do with orbiting?

That depends. As this Wikipedia entry explains: "If formed in the gravity-field of a planet as the planet is forming, a moon will orbit the planet in the same direction as the planet is rotating and is a regular moon. If an object is formed elsewhere and later captured into orbit by a planet's gravity, it can be captured into a retrograde or prograde orbit depending on whether it first approaches the side of the planet that is rotating towards or away from it. This is an irregular moon."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrograde_and_prograde_motion

mathman said:
(1) yes - be careful so they don't collide
(2) no - orbits are around center of mass of system, usually center of planet (assumed much larger than moon)
(3) yes
However, it should be noted that both 1 and 3 are unstable orbits, unless both orbiting bodies have negligibly small masses. That is, you can't have large moons in these configurations.

What is orbiting?

Orbiting is the path an object takes around another object in space due to the force of gravity.

What causes an object to orbit?

An object orbits due to the force of gravity pulling it towards another object, such as a planet or star. The object's velocity and the strength of the gravitational force determine the shape and size of its orbit.

How do orbits work?

Orbits work by balancing the force of gravity with the object's velocity. If the object's velocity is too low, it will fall towards the larger object. If the velocity is too high, it will escape the gravitational pull.

What factors affect an object's orbit?

The main factors that affect an object's orbit are the mass of the larger object, the distance between the two objects, and the velocity of the orbiting object. Other factors, such as the presence of other objects and forces like solar wind, can also have an impact on an object's orbit.

Can orbits change over time?

Yes, orbits can change over time due to various factors. For example, the gravitational pull of other objects, such as planets or asteroids, can alter an object's orbit. Additionally, forces like solar wind can also affect an orbit. In some cases, an object's orbit may also be intentionally changed through the use of thrusters or other propulsion systems.