Exploring the Possibility of the Higgs Boson Being a Wave

In summary, Wave-particle duality is a concept that states that a particle can also act as a wave. It is explained in more detail in this article, and the FAQ section of the General Physics forum also covers it.
SpecialKM
Why must it be a particle? I mean, if sub-atomic particles act as a wave and a particle why can't the higgs? Maybe the only reason we can't detect it is because we're looking for the particle and not the wave? Can someone please elaborate on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
SpecialKM said:
Why must it be a particle? I mean, if sub-atomic particles act as a wave and a particle why can't the higgs? Maybe the only reason we can't detect it is because we're looking for the particle and not the wave?

Now c'mon, be honest. Do you really think physicists are THAT dumb? Really?

Zz.

Well...who knows. I mean, the gap for the higgs to actually exist is getting smaller and smaller. It begs the question if it really does exist and if it does what are we doing wrong in the detection of it?

Instead of smashing particles together, maybe split up the waves? All alternatives should be checked, no matter the absurdity, right?

SpecialKM said:
Well...who knows. I mean, the gap for the higgs to actually exist is getting smaller and smaller. It begs the question if it really does exist and if it does what are we doing wrong in the detection of it?

Instead of smashing particles together, maybe split up the waves? All alternatives should be checked, no matter the absurdity, right?

What is absurd is a suggestion based on ignorance.

What if I tell you that they are not looking for the Higgs, but rather an "electroweak symmetry breaking"? Would that ring a bell?

Zz.

Oh, okay now I learned something! Sorry for being ignorant, I just wanted to obtain some knowledge.

SpecialKM said:
Oh, okay now I learned something! Sorry for being ignorant, I just wanted to obtain some knowledge.

It isn't that you wanted to know something, it was the way you worded your "question" and then your response. If it had been something like "Are we looking for the higgs as a particle or a wave?", then there probably wouldn't been any problem and the wave-particle duality would have been explained to you.

Alright, I understand where I went wrong. I apologize.

Can you help me understand wave-particle duality please?

Last edited:
SpecialKM said:
Alright, I understand where I went wrong. I apologize.

Can you help me understand wave-particle duality please?

Have you read anything up on it? If not, I recommend hitting up wikipedia first. Nearly any book on Quantum Physics should have this critical concept described in it as well. I cannot help you understand the concept as a whole, as the entire thing is very detailed, but I can answer specific questions or generalize some things.

Yes I have, just a little bit though. So wave-particle duality is basically any particle can behave as a wave or, a particle. Is this with only the really tiny sub-atomic particles or is this also true for relatively larger substances like atoms or molecules?

SpecialKM said:
Yes I have, just a little bit though. So wave-particle duality is basically any particle can behave as a wave or, a particle. Is this with only the really tiny sub-atomic particles or is this also true for relatively larger substances like atoms or molecules?

Everything acts as BOTH a particle AND a wave. Even larger objects like molecules can be shown to interfere in a double slit experiment. Depending on how you observe an object, it can behave as a particle or a wave.

Oh.. So the act of observing actually makes it a particle or a wave?
How would one control that? I mean if you observe, how can you produce a particle instead of a wave or vice versa?

Wave-particle duality is old news. Its all just fields now. I don't understand why everyone sticks to this explanation even though its harder to understand.

QFT has already resolved the apparent paradox of wave-particle duality. Try this article:

Teaching Elementary Particle Physics Part I - Art Hobson (TPT)
http://physics.uark.edu/hobson/pubs/11.01TPT.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Than you saim, I'll read that right now

I don't know enough to say that the particle-wave duality is old news or anything, but I do know that it was explained to me that way when I first started reading up on it. Probably because we learn from the easy stuff to the advanced stuff, which tends to be the top-down approach. Start things off in the scale of things we can see and touch with everyday, and then move down from there into the QM scale.

saim_ said:
Wave-particle duality is old news. Its all just fields now. I don't understand why everyone sticks to this explanation even though its harder to understand.

QFT has already resolved the apparent paradox of wave-particle duality. Try this article:

Teaching Elementary Particle Physics Part I - Art Hobson (TPT)
http://physics.uark.edu/hobson/pubs/11.01TPT.pdf

Not only that, we also had addressed this in the FAQ section of the General Physics forum. I truly wish we could make people read those FIRST before they make their first posts on here.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
Not only that, we also had addressed this in the FAQ section of the General Physics forum. I truly wish we could make people read those FIRST before they make their first posts on here.

Zz.

I saw the FAQ about light, but does that apply to everything or just light itself? I've never seen any serious discussion or explanations of normal matter not being a particle. But I am definitely not as knowledgeable as I wish I was in this area.

I think it's high time to acknowledge that wave-particle duality is more confusing to newcomers than explicative. Particles are always particles! But, according to Quantum Mechanics, they obey an equation of motion that is similar to wave equations from Classical Physics.

The (probability) waves are called De Broglie waves for historic reasons, but De Broglie never actually comprehended the essence of his 'matter wave' hypothesis. It was Max Born who gave the correct probabilistic interpretation of the wave function.

In the limit when the De Broglie wavelength is much smaller than the linear dimensions over which the potential energy changes considerably, we can apply the geometric optics (technically called eikonal) approximation and obtain the laws of Classical mechanics for the motion of a particle.

Furthermore, even particles do not exist! They are simple excitations of a matter field that carry energy and momentum in space as a propagating particle does.

Related to Exploring the Possibility of the Higgs Boson Being a Wave

1. What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give other particles their mass. It was first theorized in the 1960s by physicist Peter Higgs and was finally discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

2. How does the Higgs Boson being a wave affect our understanding of it?

If the Higgs Boson is indeed a wave, it would challenge the current understanding of it as a particle. Waves behave differently than particles, and it would require a new model to explain its behavior.

3. What evidence suggests that the Higgs Boson is a wave?

There is currently no concrete evidence to support the idea that the Higgs Boson is a wave. However, some theoretical models, such as string theory, suggest that it could be a wave. Further research and experimentation are needed to gather more evidence.

4. What is the significance of the Higgs Boson being a wave?

If it is confirmed that the Higgs Boson is a wave, it would have a significant impact on our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe. It could also lead to new discoveries and advancements in particle physics.

5. How are scientists exploring the possibility of the Higgs Boson being a wave?

Scientists are using various experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to study the behavior of the Higgs Boson. They are also using mathematical models and simulations to explore the possibility of it being a wave. Further research and experimentation are needed to gather more information and evidence.