Exploring the Potential of a Magnetic Generator: A Project for Beginners

In summary, DaveR suggests that anyone interested in making a generator should start by reading up on the theory and then looking for resources that can help with making the generator. He also suggests starting with a simple generator and working towards more complicated ones.
R y a n
I wasn't exactly sure whether this belongs in the mechanical or electrical section.

/watch?v=VsGhllSgpLU&feature=related
[STRIKE]That was the video I saw that made me want to start a project. This would be my first, and I haven't taken physics or anything yet, so I don't know [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] a lot of things.

Here's what I plan to do:
Create a smaller-scale version of what was shown in that video. One that could fit on a 1 foot by 1 foot square surface and 1 foot high. I want the energy created to be converted to electrical energy and then sent into a lightbulb. This has to be made with limited tools, so no welding. I have access to basic tools.

All I really need is a list of materials. If you wanted to make this (under a low-as-possible budget), what would you use? Please be specific for things such as the type of motor.

A few additional questions:
Would I need the magnets to be in a perfect circle and then tilted either clockwise or counterclockwise? Would it be difficult to get this right?

Would the generator be able to go on forever as long as nothing interferes? If I connected a lightbulb, would the lightbulb stay on until either I stop the generator or it burns out?

What would the expected energy output be of this generator? Would it even be able to power a small lightbulb?[/STRIKE]

Okay, ignore everything above.
Would a machine like this even work? What would go wrong?

An lastly, for educational purposes, can you explain the science of a generator like this? Where does the energy come from? Doesn't a contraption like this have infinite potential energy? Wouldn't that violate a couple laws of physics? I'm not sure what the physics behind magnets are, but I'm pretty sure magnets don't transfer matter or energy to what they are attracting. So what would the momentum be called if no object exerted force on it?

Keep in mind I haven't taken any courses in physics.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
this topic is bordering on perpetual motion machines which are a no go topic on this forum.

no machine will go on for ever, there are always some losses due to friction etc
there are a mass of B.S. videos out there about rotation magnet generators, they all need energy input to make them work.

You don't need to full courses in physics, but some basic learning from some respectable www sites and forums like this one will soon teach you enough to recognise when some clown is trying to pull the wool over your eyes ;)

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
R y a n, Welcome to Physics Forums! Here real scientists and engineers contribute towards the advancement of real science and engineering.

davenn above is exactly correct, anything smacking of “perpetual motion” or “free energy” is crackpot hocus-pocus drivel. It is never allowed here.

But, on the positive side, all members here are ready and willing to assist anyone who is interested in learning. So if that is you, and you are curious about how generators work, and would maybe like to make one to light a small lamp, then here you are:

Always start with some reading up on the theory. This wiki page offers an overview of the types of generators:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_generator

Now, if you check out this site you learn how to make a simple generator which will light up a small lamp:
http://www.amasci.com/amateur/coilgen.html

If you have any questions or doubts, just come back here and post them. I promise members here will be happy to guide you along. Good Luck!
Bobbywhy

Sorry about starting a thread on a no-go topic. I honestly didn't know (I'm sort of new to this forum, didn't see any rules thread in the electrical engineering topic). I'm not really interested in making a generator. The only reason I had started to think about it was because I, being naive, believed perpetual motion was possible. It would be pretty cool to have a lamp on in your room 24/7 without paying for electricity.

So magnets would not create a perpetual-motion generator.. but would they decrease the input needed? Or would some factor ultimately make the input and output even, with or without magnets?

hi Ryan
you are never going to get even input and output
as I said in my first post there are ALWAYS losses

did you have a look at those 2 links Bobbywhy posted ?
go get into some real life generation of power :)

here's an idea for a project that will keep you busy...
try a generator used on a push bike for lights and instead connect it to a propeller to create a wind generator. Experiment with the angle of the blades to get better efficiency. Consider the problems of how to transfer the power across a rotating mount
( remember the prop and gene needs to be able to rotate to take advantage of the changes in wind direction)

cheers
Dave

Related to Exploring the Potential of a Magnetic Generator: A Project for Beginners

1. What is a magnetic generator?

A magnetic generator is a device that uses magnetic force to produce electricity. It works by converting the energy from moving magnets into electrical energy, without the need for any external fuel or power source.

2. How does a magnetic generator work?

A magnetic generator works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetism. The generator has a set of stationary magnets and a rotor with rotating magnets. As the rotor spins, the magnetic fields interact and create a continuous flow of electricity.

3. What are the benefits of using a magnetic generator?

One of the main benefits of using a magnetic generator is that it is a renewable source of energy. It does not require any fuel or produce any harmful emissions, making it a clean and sustainable option. Additionally, it can be used in remote areas without access to traditional electricity grids.

4. Can a magnetic generator provide enough energy for a household?

The amount of energy produced by a magnetic generator depends on its size and efficiency. In general, a small-scale magnetic generator may be able to produce enough energy to power basic household appliances, but larger generators can produce enough energy to power an entire household.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a magnetic generator?

One potential drawback of using a magnetic generator is its initial cost. While it can save money in the long run, the initial investment may be higher compared to traditional energy sources. Additionally, the efficiency of the generator may be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.