Exploring Topology and Representation Theory: Recommended Books and Resources

In summary: You can read Hall's book or Erdmann's book if you want more details, but you don't need to read topology. In summary, If your goal is to understand Lie groups and their Lie algebra, then you should read John Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds.
linkedlister
Hello,

I have a general interest in teaching myself topology to build up to moving onto Representation theory. I have chosen M.A. Armstrongs's book "Basic Topology" as my start.

My Question... where would you all recommend I go from there. I took top in undergrad and that was the book we used. What are some other highly recommended books on the subject. And what other books do you suggest to get me up to speed and over to my goal of reading through a book on Lie algebras -- or did I miss my mark and should have gone for geometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see i may have posted this in the wrong forum .. I will repost in learning materials..

Unfortunately i do not have permission to post a question in the Learning materials forum group... so if anyone could post answers to the question here - it would be most appreciated.

Topology by Munkres is fantastic.

Why have you chosen for armstrong's book?? The book is horrible, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Sure, if you know a bit of topology already, then armstrong's book could be good. But don't try to use it to teach yourself.

Go for Munkres instead, it's a wonderful book especially suited for self-study!

There's a science book forum. You can use the report button to request that the thread be moved there. And yeah, Munkres.

Munkres or Armstrong? Nah... (I don't like Armstrong's writing style, just like his Groups & Symmetries. Munkres' book has a slow pace, but is extensive.)
Willard or Jänich...yeah!

linkedlister said:
Hello,

I have a general interest in teaching myself topology to build up to moving onto Representation theory. I have chosen M.A. Armstrongs's book "Basic Topology" as my start.

My Question... where would you all recommend I go from there. I took top in undergrad and that was the book we used. What are some other highly recommended books on the subject. And what other books do you suggest to get me up to speed and over to my goal of reading through a book on Lie algebras -- or did I miss my mark and should have gone for geometry?

I believe that topological ideas arise naturally in the study of complex analysis. That's what I would do not knowing anything about your long term goals.

I don't recommand Munkres for self study as it contains too much stuff you'll never need use or see again in your life. If you had someone tell you exactly what part of general topology are relevant for your long term goalds, ok, but otherwise, how would you know that you're wasting time reading about T¼ spaces?

If your goal is to understand Lie groups and their Lie algebra, then what you need is the general theory of smooth manifolds. IMO, the shortest and easiest way to do this is to read John Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds where Lie algebras of Lie groups are introduced as early as page 93. Since you've taken topology as an undergrad, you can read the appendix on topology to refresh your memory, or pick up Lee's Introduction to Topological Manifolds, which tells you what you need to know and skip the rest.

If you quickly want to learn about Lie algebra's, you don't even need to know about smooth manifolds (the relation between Lie groups can come later). Pick up Hymphrey's "Introduction to Lie Algebras and Representation Theory", the only prerequisite is a decent algebra background. Or even better, take up Erdmann's Introduction to Lie Algebras.

there is a little section on linear groups in the book Algebra, by Michael Artin which only uses a little topology. See if you can read that.

Lie groups, Lie algebras, and representations: an elementary introduction, by Brian Hall completely avoids differential geometry by focusing on Lie groups whose members are matrices. This includes almost all groups that are relevant in physics.

I completely agree with what quasar987 said about Munkres and Lee. (Munkres is great, but it contains a lot of stuff you don't need. Lee's books are excellent).

You don't really need topology for the stuff about Lie groups and Lie algebras. You just need a little to understand the definition of a manifold.

1. What is Topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that remain unchanged under continuous deformations, such as stretching, bending, or twisting. It focuses on the study of spaces and their properties, without considering the specifics of shape or size.

2. How can I teach myself Topology?

There are several ways to teach yourself Topology. You can start by reading introductory books or online resources to understand the basic concepts and definitions. Practice solving problems and proofs to develop your skills. You can also join online communities or attend workshops and conferences to interact with other topology enthusiasts and learn from their experiences.

3. What are the main topics covered in Topology?

The main topics covered in Topology include point-set topology, algebraic topology, and differential topology. Point-set topology deals with the study of topological spaces and their properties. Algebraic topology focuses on the use of algebraic techniques to study topological spaces. Differential topology studies differentiable manifolds and their properties.

4. What are some real-life applications of Topology?

Topology has various applications in different fields, such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. In physics, topology is used to understand the behavior of fluids and the properties of space-time. In engineering, it is used to design efficient networks and optimize processes. In computer science, it is used in data analysis and computer graphics. In economics, it is used to model market structures and optimize resource allocation.

5. What skills are needed to excel in Topology?

To excel in Topology, you need to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as set theory, functions, and proofs. You should also have good problem-solving skills, abstract thinking, and the ability to visualize and manipulate abstract concepts. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of calculus and linear algebra.