Solving a Physics Shell Explosion Question

• Thread starter clucky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosion
In summary: The other half is moving in the same direction and at the same speed as the half that is at rest. The distance traveled after the explosion is the same as the distance traveled before the explosion.
clucky
Hey everyone! I'm a newbie here, how are you all today?
Anywho, I was doing my physics homework and I came across this question, and I'm stuck :( Can anyone tell me just how to start it?

A shell is shot with an initial velocity of 20 m/s, at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal. At the top of the trajectory, the shell explodes into two fragments of equal mass. One fragment, whose speed immediately after the explosion is zero, falls vertically. How far from the gun does the other fragment land, assuming that the terrain is level and that air drag is negligible?

Totally stuck! Don't even know where to start :(
Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
edit: scratch my idea. I have to think about this more.

2nd edit: ok. Assuming the the explosion means "breaks into two parts without making too much of a fuss" and air resistance is neglected the system's momentum's x-component is conserved and you can solve the x component of velocity of the half that keeps moving in the x-direction. Can you do it from here on?

If approached like this the problem is so unrealistic that I'm not sure if I'm giving you good advice. Maybe some of the official homework helpers could confirm this? It feels odd to think about a system that breaks up like this but since you can break up the equations of motions into components the system's momentum's x-component should be conserved.

Last edited:
clucky said:
Hey everyone! I'm a newbie here, how are you all today?
Anywho, I was doing my physics homework and I came across this question, and I'm stuck :( Can anyone tell me just how to start it?

A shell is shot with an initial velocity of 20 m/s, at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal. At the top of the trajectory, the shell explodes into two fragments of equal mass. One fragment, whose speed immediately after the explosion is zero, falls vertically. How far from the gun does the other fragment land, assuming that the terrain is level and that air drag is negligible?

Totally stuck! Don't even know where to start :(
Thanks for your help!

I will assume you can find the position of the shell at explosion. At that time the velocity is horizontal. Momentum will be conserved. Immediately after explosion one half of the shell will be at rest, then it falls. How fast and in what direction will the other half be moving immediately after the explosion? How does the horizontal distance traveled after explosion compare to the horizontal distance traveled before the explosion?

OlderDan said:
I will assume you can find the position of the shell at explosion. At that time the velocity is horizontal. Momentum will be conserved. Immediately after explosion one half of the shell will be at rest, then it falls. How fast and in what direction will the other half be moving immediately after the explosion? How does the horizontal distance traveled after explosion compare to the horizontal distance traveled before the explosion?

wahh! I doubted myself in vain.

1. How do you calculate the force of a shell explosion?

The force of a shell explosion can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the shell, and a is the acceleration. The acceleration can be found by dividing the velocity of the shell by the time it takes for the shell to explode.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a shell explosion?

The trajectory of a shell explosion is affected by factors such as the angle of the explosion, the speed of the explosion, and the air resistance. The angle and speed determine the initial velocity of the shell, while air resistance slows down the shell as it travels.

3. How do you determine the distance traveled by a shell explosion?

The distance traveled by a shell explosion can be calculated using the formula d = 1/2 x a x t^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time the shell is in motion. The acceleration can be found by dividing the velocity of the shell by the time it takes for the shell to explode.

4. How do you take into account wind direction in a shell explosion scenario?

When solving a physics shell explosion question, you can take into account wind direction by factoring in the wind's velocity and direction in the equations for calculating force, trajectory, and distance. This will affect the shell's velocity and trajectory, and therefore its final destination.

5. What is the relationship between the mass of a shell and the explosion's impact?

The mass of a shell has a direct relationship with the explosion's impact. This means that the more massive the shell, the greater the force of the explosion. This is because the mass is a factor in the formula for calculating force (F = m x a).