Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential behavior in elasticity?

1. Sep 23, 2015 #1
    Hi!
    I know some constitutive models for elastic materials like Neo-Hooke or Mooney-Rivlin, which give a relation between elongation ##\lambda=y/y_o## (where ##y## and ##y_o## are the length of the elastic material in a uniaxial compression test in the direction of the compression at stress ##P## and ##P=0##, respectively).

I propose the next model of elasticity:

1) Using the differential definition of strain ##d\epsilon \equiv \frac{dy}{y}##

2) Using the equality ##-\frac{dP}{E} = d\epsilon##, assuming ##E## is the 'Young's modulus' of the material.

3) Using this two equations, taking ##E## constant, and using the boundary conditions ##y(P=0)=y_o## we get ##y(P)=y_o e^{-P/E}##.

This exponential curve fits very well for many of my elastic materials.

My question is: Is wrong this model? (conceptually speaking).

Best regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Perhaps I'm not understanding your idea (the text is somewhat garbled), but I don't see where you are proposing a 'new' constitutive relation- you simply used Hooke's law (sort of generalized to 3-D, I suppose).

4. Sep 23, 2015 #3
    Use ## for inline latex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook